Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Lifespan SP Strings

iwalktheline

Just a heads up guys, I was at guitar center and came across a pretty sweet deal. The Martin Lifespan Sp strings are 5 for $20. I have been wanting to try these for awhile and this was too good a deal to pass up. I already put them on the Hummingbird and so far so good. It could just be me but it seems to have added a bit more volume. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know.

I have posted here more than once that I love those strings on my Gibsons. That's best price ever. I only buy them when I get BOGO but that's even better.

I was very surprised at the price and to be honest so was the kid ringing me up. I looked at the regular price and they are $10-11 on any regular day. I'm not sure if it was a misprint in the ad but hey, I'm not gonna complain.

I was very surprised at the price and to be honest so was the kid ringing me up. I looked at the regular price and they are $10-11 on any regular day. I'm not sure if it was a misprint in the ad but hey, I'm not gonna complain.

Was that a print ad?

I was not impressed by these strings. They do not last long at all (for a coated string). I got a week out of mine and then they sounded flat and were visibly getting darker. Tried some John Pearse (not coated) strings, and they've been on my guitar for 3 weeks and still going strong. Just my experience with them...

I bought 5/$20 yesterday too. They told me the reason they are so cheap right now is that Martin is trying to get more of them in the hands of guitar players, because they haven't been selling as-well-as-expected. It is a decent price and they're supposed to be pretty decent strings. I've already got two packages of them that I paid about $10 each for, so this is a good deal.

I bought 5/$20 yesterday too. They told me the reason they are so cheap right now is that Martin is trying to get more of them in the hands of guitar players, because they haven't been selling as-well-as-expected. It is a decent price and they're supposed to be pretty decent strings. I've already got two packages of them that I paid about $10 each for, so this is a good deal.

I put a set of my 000-28 some time ago. They are pretty average out of the box, and stay pretty average for a fairly long time, at least to my ear. I wouldn't use them on a guitar I played every day, but they're ok if you don't change strings very often.

Your experience may vary. In general, I'm not a fan of coated strings, and only use them on guitars that don't get played often.

I have a set of these on my j-50 at the minute, I put them on just the other day. Still trying to make up mind.

Here's a weird (maybe not) thing. I had 11's on and thought ,like you PM, ho hum. But weeks later they still sounded good. You know , for the age of them . but the next set were 12's and seemed to be not so good..... Would the difference in gauge effect this ? Did I have one good set and one not so well made ? Was I kidding myself ?

Aussie's recommended pyramids are on at the minute and they're awful dirty looking . still sound not too bad though and they stay in tune terrifically.

Still no holy grail strings for me

I put a set of the Custom Lights on my Garrison G40 early this morning (about 3am). Been playing/tuning it quite-a-bit today. For what I assume are extra lights (11s) or just about, these strings do (at least for now) have some punch to them. They don't sound tinny or tickly. So far, I'm pleasantly surprised. They don't feel or sound like lightweight strings. The other four packs are 12s (Lights) The previous set of strings on the G40 were Black Diamond lights. They'd been on the guitar for almost two years...lol...and sounded pretty good until about three weeks ago when the volume dropped noticeably and they wouldn't stay in-tune. The guitar gets played a lot, especially during the good weather seasons when I do a lot of outdoor gigs. I don't expect these new Martins to last that long, but who knows?....lol......Anyways, likely decent strings for a good price. Can't be much worse than the Takemine strings I had.

So it's been about 3 days now and I have to say I'm still digging these strings. I'm not saying they are the best but the certainly have brought more volume and a bit of thump to my hummingbird. I realize it will fade sooner than later but all is good for now. Play on boys.......

So it's been about 3 days now and I have to say I'm still digging these strings. I'm not saying they are the best but the certainly have brought more volume and a bit of thump to my hummingbird. I realize it will fade sooner than later but all is good for now. Play on boys.......

If you like them, that's all that matters. String choice is absolutely personal.

I started using these a few weeks ago (13's)and the jury is still out as to whether I'll use them permanently. I do like the added brightness and punch over the DR Rares. They don't last any longer than uncoated string as a matter of fact after 2 gigs the low E was just dead but I care more about sound than how long they last. Has anyone else noticed the high E and B strings seem to be just a tad bit muted?

I used the J-50 (equipped with them at the minute) for rehearsals last night... hard to tell as we're in a new room, but they seemed a wee bit louder, definitely brighter and a tad less bass sustain. I think the Gibson strings will go back on for the next change.... I do however sort of like these on the Recording King model (beater) I have.

I've got them on both my guitars - the SJ200 and the H'bird TV and like them quite a bit. As PM noted, not a lot of bass sustain. But, mine are three months old, and I prefer more of a thunk than for the bass to drone on forever anyways. IF you go through strings like underwear, then this is a great price - Ernie Ball Everlast advertised for $10 in same pamphlet. To me, strings are a 'commodity'. Sort of like TP. When, or if, you find a brand you like and stick with it. I'm still searching, but for $4 a set - I may just declare victory. Until the price goes up. (As the ad states - "while supplies last") Then I might go back to Elixir long lifes. Or John Pearse. Glad to have it narrowed down!

Thanks for the Heads Up, IWTL. Went through that GC ad pamphlet 3x and completely missed that ad.

• 1 month later...

so, its been a bit over a month and I wanted to give an opinion on these strings after so long. To me they still sound very good in all honesty but my god, they look like they have been on the guitar for a year. They e & b strings are so brown its kinda ridiculous. I have noticed the rusting or whatever it is on other strings as well. Strange thing is I haven't played her that much since I got the 76 bird. This has me a bit confused because I could see if I was playing every day and the strings were rusting but in the month since I put the on I have only played her maybe 5 times. Again, she still sounds good but the look of the strings isn't too appealing.

Hi, are you referring to Martin Lifespan SP Cleartone or regular SP ? I've put SP Cleartone on an Songwriter Deluxe Studio, on a Martin DX1E and on a 12 strings Takamine and according to my taste they sound great. It has been three weeks now and they haven't lost their brightness look and sound.

Hi, are you referring to Martin Lifespan SP Cleartone or regular SP ? I've put SP Cleartone on an Songwriter Deluxe Studio, on a Martin DX1E and on a 12 strings Takamine and according to my taste they sound great. It has been three weeks now and they haven't lost their brightness look and sound.

Yeah, it's the cleartone ones. I was a bit surprised, I always wipe the strings down after playing. Maybe it's just a bad/crappy set.

Archived