Gibson Brands Forums

What's Up, with SG's?

charlie brown

I started a thread, on this, in the SG section, but decided I might get more response,

here...as there seems to be far more "traffic" in the Lounge.

Does anyone know, what's going on with SG's? I just went to the SG page, of the Gibson

site, and the vast majority are listed "out of production." Now some were "limited editions"

to begin with, so I understand that! But, there are but a few, more "regular" SG's, that seem

to be still in production. So, I'm wondering/curious, if they are going to revamp the "spec's,"

and reintroduce some they are now no longer building, back to early '60's specs, with wider

body beveling, horn tapering, and deeper chamfers (horn beveling). [-o< With the rave reviews

of the 2013 "Original," and SG Standard, both of which have those spec's, I'm (obviously) hoping

they will reintroduce the "Classic" (Special, with binding and P-90's) and Junior, with those early

'60's specs, as well as any "newer" models.

Well...One can dream, anyway!

Cheers,

CB

No Charlie, that's not it. I had a conversation with Henry and told him - look there this guy that had a LP Custom and full stack in his bedroom when he was a kid and had to give them up and quit playing for many years and now he's a big SG fan so how can we make his guitars more valuable. And Henry said - "That's easy, we'll just stop making so many".

The latest SG's are more close to the originals then ever before.

Well, the latest 2013 Standard, and SG "Original" certainly are!

The other, non-custom shop versions, still have a ways to go, though.

Anyway...it's just a curiosity. I hadn't been on the Gibson site,

for awhile, and to see so many SG's now "out of production," was a bit

of shock.

Hopefully, Gibson will continue the trend, toward early '60's

spec's, from now on! SO MUCH nicer looking and feeling! IMHO.

CB

No Charlie, that's not it. I had a conversation with Henry and told him - look there this guy that had a LP Custom and full stack in his bedroom when he was a kid and had to give them up and quit playing for many years and now he's a big SG fan so how can we make his guitars more valuable. And Henry said - "That's easy, we'll just stop making so many".

LOL...well, that's ONE way, I suppose?! [biggrin]

CB

I'm (obviously) hoping they will reintroduce the "Classic" (Special, with binding and P-90's)

When did they stop making those. I bought my 2009 SG Classic in April 2012 at GC - and it was new - never sold, not a scratch on it. Don't know how it sat around for a couple years without getting GC'd. I'm starting to feel lucky to have scored it. I wonder, CB if there are still some around?

When did they stop making those. I bought my 2009 SG Classic in April 2012 at GC - and it was new - never sold, not a scratch on it. Don't know how it sat around for a couple years without getting GC'd. I'm starting to feel lucky to have scored it. I wonder, CB if there are still some around?

Yeah, I'm sure there are some, unsold, still in the stores. One just has

to be diligent, and "lucky," I guess. I'm hoping any new ones, will have

the older early '60's specs, though...with even wider and deeper beveling,

and horn tapering. Like the Custom Shop version, but with both tailpiece

and bridge, instead of combined. [thumbup]

CB

Archived