Gibson Brands Forums

SG's Are Underappreciated!....Or, Are They??!

charlie brown

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are gorgeous! The one with the bar, does that have an ebony board??? [drool] I still say the reason people like SG's so much is because they are so fun to play.

Thanks, VM...I LOVE 'em! The one on top, is a "Satin" '61 Reissue, with "Baked Maple" fingerboard.

I didn't hesitate, one bit, getting it with that fingerboard, as I own another Gibson (Les Paul "Classic Custom" Gold-Top), with the Baked Maple board. It's GREAT!

The bottom one, is the "Original," and has a (very, very dark) Rosewood board. I too, thought (at first

look) it was ebony! Sure looks like it, expecially now, that it's been "lemon oiled!" (That photo, was

pre-lemon oil treatment.)

As to the Maestro Vibrola? It's Great! BUT...I had to get a new one, put on (Thanks, Gibson CS), as

the one that it was shipped with, was "defective," in that I couldn't swing the handle, out of the way,

up against the side of tailpiece, or over the knobs, without hitting the knobs, and risking the tip of

the handle, digging into the wood. Also, when in the user position, it was really high!! (Apparently,

they had a small batch, with "bad springs," or some such?) In any event, Gibson, took good care of me,

and replaced the entire Maestro (sent it to my dealer, for installation), as I didn't want a "replacement

guitar!" I really Love this one's fit, finish, and wood grain (especially)! So, "All's Well, that Ends Well...

as they say. [thumbup][biggrin]

Thanks, VM...I LOVE 'em! The one on top, is a "Satin" '61 Reissue, with "Baked Maple" fingerboard.

I didn't hesitate, one bit, getting it with that fingerboard, as I own another Gibson (Les Paul "Classic Custom" Gold-Top), with the Baked Maple board. It's GREAT!

The bottom one, is the "Original," and has a (very, very dark) Rosewood board. I too, thought (at first

look) it was ebony! Sure looks like it, expecially now, that it's been "lemon oiled!" (That photo, was

pre-lemon oil treatment.)

As to the Maestro Vibrola? It's Great! BUT...I had to get a new one, put on (Thanks, Gibson CS), as

the one that it was shipped with, was "defective," in that I couldn't swing the handle, out of the way,

up against the side of tailpiece, or over the knobs, without hitting the knobs, and risking the tip of

the handle, digging into the wood. Also, when in the user position, it was really high!! (Apparently,

they had a small batch, with "bad springs," or some such?) In any event, Gibson, took good care of me,

and replaced the entire Maestro (sent it to my dealer, for installation), as I didn't want a "replacement

guitar!" I really Love this one's fit, finish, and wood grain (especially)! So, "All's Well, that Ends Well...

as they say. [thumbup][biggrin]

I wish that was my Original. That's beautiful. I bought the darkest one I could find along with a dark cherry because some are light but you got both my friend. That guitar is awesome. It's nice Gibson took care of you. I like the maestro but sometimes the strings stick a little at the nut when I use the bar. I have to put some graphite in the string slots for a little lubrication but it works really well, I love it...........Wanna trade????? [scared][woot][laugh]

I wish that was my Original. That's beautiful. I bought the darkest one I could find along with a dark cherry because some are light but you got both my friend. That guitar is awesome. It's nice Gibson took care of you. I like the maestro but sometimes the strings stick a little at the nut when I use the bar. I have to put some graphite in the string slots for a little lubrication but it works really well, I love it...........Wanna trade????? [scared][woot][laugh]

Sorry [-X , VM..I'm keepin' mine! [biggrin] LOL Besides, your's is Great looking, too! I admit,

I loved the dark fingeboard, on mine...but, the real "corker" for me, was the wood grain! [thumbup][love]

As to the binding in the nut? I (ALWAYS) have my dealer replace the Corian nut, with a bone nut,

as part of my "deal," on any Gibson I buy. I've never had good experience with Corian nuts...plek'd,

or otherwise. So, I just have them replaced (needed or not...lol), up front.

CB

NOW...let's see Your's!! Spred that SG Love around!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well here's some of mine, The Angus custom shop aged and signed nr 20 out of 50. In these awesome bevels times this one might look ugly for some, and it's aged. That usually attract some hate. But it plays and sound great.

002-3.jpg

Here's a custom shop in classic white, that i bought used couple of years ago. The previous owner was quit displeased with it so i got a great deal on it. Kinda was in a poor shape. So i had a fretdress on her, Faber bridge with brass saddles(Gibson bridge saddles was f.... up so i just bought a new bridge) and i think i found the right action and set up for her. Cause now she sounds really sweet

005_zpsb06c626c.jpg

And the new absolutely awesome Sg Original

002_zps426c3ab2.jpg

Sorry [-X , VM..I'm keepin' mine! [biggrin] LOL Besides, your's is Great looking, too! I admit,

I loved the dark fingeboard, on mine...but, the real "corker" for me, was the wood grain! [thumbup][love]

As to the binding in the nut? I (ALWAYS) have my dealer replace the Corian nut, with a bone nut,

as part of my "deal," on any Gibson I buy. I've never had good experience with Corian nuts...plek'd,

or otherwise. So, I just have them replaced (needed or not...lol), up front.

CB

I agree, I don't care for the material the nut is made of. The nut on my PRS I never have any problems with but I have no idea what it is made of.

NOW...let's see Your's!! Spred that SG Love around!! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well here's some of mine, The Angus custom shop aged and signed nr 20 out of 50. In these awesome bevels times this one might look ugly for some, and it's aged. That usually attract some hate. But it plays and sound great.

002-3.jpg

Here's a custom shop in classic white, that i bought used couple of years ago. The previous owner was quit displeased with it so i got a great deal on it. Kinda was in a poor shape. So i had a fretdress on her, Faber bridge with brass saddles(Gibson bridge saddles was f.... up so i just bought a new bridge) and i think i found the right action and set up for her. Cause now she sounds really sweet

005_zpsb06c626c.jpg

And the new absolutely awesome Sg Original

002_zps426c3ab2.jpg

Hey, no hate from me, Sellen! "Aged" tastefully, is cool. I prefer to do my aging "naturally,"

but...that's just Me! [biggrin] Love your white CS Standard! If (more likely "When") I get another

SG, I think it will be the White 2013 Standard! Now, IF they ever reintroduce the Special, or Junior

with the early '60's spec's, and offer them in White, I will have a LOT harder decision, to make. [tongue] LOL But, good old "dark cherry" is great, too...and, very traditional. [cool]

Lovely "Original," by the way! [thumbup]

CB

I have one of each. A 2011 SG Standard 24 Anniversary model and a 2012 LP Traditional. I find the tone is very similar and could fool most people in a blind side by side. SG has slightly more "bite" to her. Both extreme pleasures to play and I do love the feel of the SG, she's badass. I find that SG players are more apt to have their guitars in hand and the LP guys seem to have theirs on a wall hanger more often. I play the living S#*T outa both of mine daily and they have the bumps and bruises to proove it. No wall hangers arround here.... [thumbup]

By the way, checked out the SG page, tonight (08-13-2013),

on the Gibson site, and we're down to 3 Custom Shop models,

and 10 Gibson USA...half of which, are the "tribute" models! [scared]:-k

Not counting Epiphones, that is...

CB

The tribute models are nice, but I want to see Gibson make a 1970s S-G Standard Reissue - big headstock with nickel-plated Keystone Grovers (may alternatively be chrome-plated), low 1970s neck joint, potted Super Humbucking pickups, long-travel harmonica bridge, chrome hardware, small pickguard, black Speed Knobs, but with 500 kOhms tone pots please instead of the 100 kOhms of that time which killed half of the sound already when fully clockwise...

Well, to each his/her own. [unsure] Personally, I refused to buy an SG of that period,

due to the puny (and, at one point virtually non-existent) beveling, done as a cost cutting

measure. And, when they put those gaudy plastic plates, with the control knobs on them,

I thought Gibson designers had lost their minds! [scared] But, they do seem to have a kind

of cult-like "kitsch" appeal, these days. [biggrin] So, whatever floats your boat! [thumbup]

CB

Unfortunately the SG was designed as a "low budget" model right from the start. It isn't elegant. Yes, there have been elegant versions from time to time, but these are not what Gibson had in mind for the instrument. It was a stripped down, light weight, bare bones guitar with full access to the upper frets to compete with the Strats. As a player's guitar they are exceptional. Great sound, great fret access, easy to play all over the neck, light weight, & simple to operate. But they aren't much to look at nor do they have any visual sex appeal. This is exactly why Les Paul demanded his name be removed from the guitar right after it was introduced as the Les Paul II. He hated the styling and the economy marketing - the guitar simply had no class. Gibson had to rename the guitar from the beginning as the SG (Solid Body Guitar).

This puts the SG in a very strange niche. Great to play but not as desirable to own. The real surprise is that the model has lasted this long. It is a tribute to its ability to out perform most guitars on the market. And that is a testament to its designer(s) at Gibson.

Unfortunately the SG was designed as a "low budget" model right from the start. It isn't elegant. Yes, there have been elegant versions from time to time, but these are not what Gibson had in mind for the instrument. It was a stripped down, light weight, bare bones guitar with full access to the upper frets to compete with the Strats. As a player's guitar they are exceptional. Great sound, great fret access, easy to play all over the neck, light weight, & simple to operate. But they aren't much to look at nor do they have any visual sex appeal. This is exactly why Les Paul demanded his name be removed from the guitar right after it was introduced as the Les Paul II. He hated the styling and the economy marketing - the guitar simply had no class. Gibson had to rename the guitar from the beginning as the SG (Solid Body Guitar).

This puts the SG in a very strange niche. Great to play but not as desirable to own. The real surprise is that the model has lasted this long. It is a tribute to its ability to out perform most guitars on the market. And that is a testament to its designer(s) at Gibson.

:blink:

One of your previous posts, what makes yours so desirable?

I use the Gibson polish. I started using it after I bought my SG.

Hmmmm, interesting post/thought(s). :-k It was a radical departure, for Gibson, that's for sure!

A company known mostly for it's hollowbody, and (later) semi-hollowbody ES models. The Les Paul,

was basically a solid body, smaller version, in style, to those traditional archtop models. And,

not every successful, at the time. Hence it's demise, and Gibson's redesign, to compete with the

more successful Fender's, as you mentioned.

But...an SG as a cheap, or "low budget" guitar? In comparison, to the archtops, and then defunk Les Paul's...maybe?

But, I think their main objective was to cut weight, and gain upper fret access, as mentioned, more than strictly

budget considerations. After all, they had 4 versions, originally...Junior, Special, Standard, and Custom. And,

a bit later, a "melody maker" version. While it may be true, that Les didn't care for the design/look, I still

don't think you can lable them as Low Budget, except the melody maker, and/or the Junior="Student models."

And, let's not forget Les's Marital problems, and estate settlement considerations. That was another reason,

reportedly, that he wanted his name removed, from the SG/Les Paul's, at the time.

As to "they aren't much to look at, nor do they have any visual sex appeal?" [confused] Here's where we part company, my friend.

I think SG's are awesome looking, especially the original '61-68 versions. (I prefer the '61-64 versions, myself, but

I liked the "batwing" version, that came later, until about '69-early '70, when things started to "slip" body bevel wise.)

"Devilish good looks," and very sensual curves, and bevels! [love] Very comfortable to hold, and play! They have plenty, of

"Sex appeal," IMHO. Just lovely, "horny little devils!" [thumbup][biggrin] I think, the SG Custom is quite "elegant" and they ALL have

"class!" They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but what guitar is?!

CB

Great post CB! I was a bit of a sleepy head last night when I wrote my post, but I wrote it out of curiosity, as I wondered why Disaster decided to criticize the SG, when he is an owner of one. If you read this Disaster, I'm not being critical, or troll like toward you - I'm just pondering over your post. [smile]

Just adding my 2 cents. I think the SG is an extremely sexy guitar! CB, i'm with you, I love the way Gibson stepped up and put in the nice bevels and contours. I love my 2013 standard and my new original. I love my LP's and 335's too. They're all my kids! [laugh] I have had many SG's but the 2013 ones are really nice and seems much more care has gone into them like they are going back to the old ways. I was just playing my SG Original on a little 1 watt tube amp I have had for a few years. On the clean channel with the gain all the way up I get a nice breakup but I put an Xotic EP Booster in front to push the tubes and it sounds like a 70's rock perfect! by years end I would like to add a Firebird to my collection. [woot]

The SG just rocks!!! [thumbup]

It has the best playability, it has awesome upper fret access, it's light, it's easy to handle, it has awesome tone. Then consider how reasonably priced this guitar is. You get so much more guitar for the dollar than any other guitar out there, IMHO. Is it any wonder the SG is Gibson's best selling model?

The SG is the first electric guitar I ever played, loved it from the start and I always will. I love my Les Paul guitars, but I have the most fun with my SG!

IMG_1051_zps9e9bc160.jpg

Archived