Gibson Brands Forums

noob studio pickups questions

ralphed

Hi all;

New to this forum and I need some information on original equipment pickups.

I bought an 04 studio faded. Very used, but not abused IMO.

I chose it over an '010 because it wasn't chambered, just lightened. I figured it would be closer to a vintage one that way. BTW, I am a hobby player just getting back into guits after a LONG hiatus. I used to play acoustic guitar and 5-string banjo in my better days. Now I'm getting into electrics and blues.

Someone put an SD59N pickup in the bridge position. I want to go back to the original equipment.

I called Gibson yesterday and they said burstbuckers were standard on this model.

BUT WHICH ONE? I didn't ask because when the guy told me the pole spacing was the same on them I figured they were all the same. OOPS!

I haven't figured out how to post pics yet, (files too large error) so here's what's on the bottom of the Gibson neck pickup.

#1 Al V

Wound By

PS

It also has a PAF sticker.

It looks like a working musicians instrument and I think maybe the bridge pickup was replaced with whatever was available in time of need. Whatever, I just want to return it to original spec. I have seen new and used pickups for sale and I don't want to put a slightly different version in because I didn't know what to look for.

Any links to information that I can look up on the progression of these pickup models would also be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a question RE: Gary Moore reversed neck pickup. Why can't you just rotate the whole pickup 180 instead of the bobbin/internals? It looks like a flat bezel and the lead is long enough, since it's on the upper side of the guitar. Just curious on this.

Thanks all,

Ralphed

I have a studio faded and it came stock with a Burstbucker Pro neck and bridge set. They are the only burstbuckers with alnico 5 magnets I believe and they are vintage inspired, but with a tiny bit of extra output. Great pickups, highly recommended even if you weren't looking to restore it to it's original state.

I have a studio faded and it came stock with a Burstbucker Pro neck and bridge set. They are the only burstbuckers with alnico 5 magnets I believe and they are vintage inspired, but with a tiny bit of extra output. Great pickups, highly recommended even if you weren't looking to restore it to it's original state.

Oh, also the burstbucker pros do have a PAF sticker on them, so that is probably the stock one that has that on it. As far as the sh59n, that is a Seymour Duncan '59 model, however it was made to be put in the neck position. I would pull it out, sell it and buy a burstbucker pro for the bridge, you should be fine after that.

Also, I have a question RE: Gary Moore reversed neck pickup. Why can't you just rotate the whole pickup 180 instead of the bobbin/internals? It looks like a flat bezel and the lead is long enough, since it's on the upper side of the guitar. Just curious on this.

Thanks all,

Ralphed

Hello Ralphed!

To answer Your question: because it would make no sense. The neck pickup of the Peter Green Les Paul owned by Gary Moore has it's magnet flipped around to be out of phase with the bridge pickup when both on. Just by turning the pickup around You will not achieve this effect.

Cheers... Bence

Oh, also the burstbucker pros do have a PAF sticker on them, ...

Hello!

All those humbuckers that are said to be the "perfect replicas of the originals" have the "PAF" sticker. The '57 Classics in my Classic Custom have them, the 490/498s in the '92 Studio I once owned had them too.

Cheers... Bence

Archived