Gibson Brands Forums

Played my first Sparrow today.

MissouriPicker

My local GC got in its first Sparrow and I got to play it for about an hour today. I have to admit, I was overwhelmed with the sound and playability of the guitar. This guitar will easily hold-its-own with any dreadnaught being made. Likely far more volume than most.........A friend and I went up to GC. When we saw the Sparrow, I grabbed it and he grabbed a Martin D18. For the next approx. hour we played the Sparrow against everything that looked interesting. D18, Hummingbird Pro, two J45s, HD28, 816ce, 714, D28, D16, 810ce. The Sparrow outshined all of them..Better sustain, projection, low-mids-highs. Just an extremely well-balanced guitar. Gorgeous guitar. No doubt about it, this is a full-size, square-shoulder dreadnaught. You could play any music you like on it, but this is a serious instrument, meant to play the vital songs of the past, present, and future. The burst was as good as any of Gibson's legendary bursts. A dream guitar for a fingerpicker, flat picker, balladeer, etc.....Until today, I don't believe I have even seen a Sparrow, aside from pictures. Never heard one that I'm aware of. The guitar blew me away. I can sincerely see me owning one of these (I've got the bucks saved right now). My only problem (and it's been discussed in here before) is the pick guard. Sorry, but to me, seeing the guard in-person makes it appear more cartoonish to me than the pics I've seen. Still, I can almost see myself "living with" the pick guard just to have this guitar. It is a killer of a guitar. Just wish the pick guard were different. Something not so humorous or childish. Seeing this design up close made me grin. I think it's the eye on the sparrow. For me, it definitely looks like a cartoon character. Again, sorry, but it does. If Gibson or GC were willing to let me swap the guard on the guitar for a plain/no design Sparrow style guard, I'd quite likely be buying this guitar. The GC manager said he didn't know if either company would do that. This is a monster guitar. Killer sound, looks, playability. I am truly impressed with it. The craftsmanship is top shelf. The Adi spruce top is outstanding. What a sound! The guard is the only question mark. At the moment, I just can't get past the looks of the guard. I know they're charging a healthy chunk of change for the pick guard and I'm hesitant to buy something that I'm pretty sure I can't warm-up to. BUT, it is a super instrument. .....Big thumbs up to Gibson on this one, aside from that pick guard. Maybe once I owned the guitar I could get around the pick guard, but I just don't know.

I understand you would like Gibson to replace the guard or nothing - to keep the thing original.

Well, if the guitar spoke to me like it obviously does to you, I would have a qualified luthier do the job and keep the old guard in an envelope for the future owners.

A detail like that certainly wouldn't stop me from purchasing an acoustic that appealed to me so strongly.

Exciting situation btw.

5 Yen and 1 Shilling from here -

Picker,

Just looked up the Sparrow and it's a beauty (EXCEPT that POS pickguard)! Someone was in the nitro paint area too long w/o a respirator that created that monstrosity. I will have to wait till someone corrects that or allows it purchased w/o guard or an alternate.

Course now, once you're playing it ya can't see the PG anyway until you hang it up or put in back in the case I guess! :rolleyes:

Aster

That's not too bad an idea. If you can have the guard removed and something made that suits you, why not. [thumbup]

That ain't a 1/2 bad idea. Now we'd have to have a thread on what will be a good design for a PG instead of just saying we don't like it eh?

Aster

There was a really good, long, emotional thread on The Sparrow when it first came out. General consensus seems to be the same here now. But one point you made Missouri, that I think is a new insight, got me to thinking. You mentioned the eye of the sparrow being the worst part of the design Looking at the pic from Duluth, I think you've hit on an artistic critique worth merit. The Sparow's eye has eye lashes!

If you got rid of those, and just had a round normal looking cartoony bird eye, it would improve the design significantly. I'm trying to be serious here! If you accept the art form as being cartoony, and dont mind the bird, water and boat thing, the whole picture would look ok without the eye lashes. If you could wear off the pick guard paint there, you might to feel quite as offended, and you'd still have a original specs.

I did not like the sparrow pickguard at first, but it has grown on me. Especially with a sunburst finish, I don't think it looks bad at all. If you like the tone and playability of the guitar as much as it sounds like you do, I would say buy it. Give it some time and see if you grow to like the PG. If not, after some time has passed, get the PG replaced. Not a big deal, and you end up with a great sounding rosewood, square shoulder guitar that is to your liking visually.

It is just hard to see you let something you like the tone of go when it is just a simple cosmetic issue holding you back.

I did not like the sparrow pickguard at first, but it has grown on me. Especially with a sunburst finish, I don't think it looks bad at all. If you like the tone and playability of the guitar as much as it sounds like you do, I would say buy it. Give it some time and see if you grow to like the PG. If not, after some time has passed, get the PG replaced. Not a big deal, and you end up with a great sounding rosewood, square shoulder guitar that is to your liking visually.

It is just hard to see you let something you like the tone of go when it is just a simple cosmetic issue holding you back.

Kinda want to second GTS' line of thought on this one.

I appreciate all the comments. I'm going back up to GC this afternoon and take another look at the guitar. I thought about it a lot yesterday evening. To be honest about it, the pick guard is a real deal killer for me. Don't know if I want to pay for it and then remove it from a new guitar and then pay for another Gibson pick guard and pay for it to be placed on the guitar. Sure, you can buy a fake one on Ebay, etc, but I don't want a fake something-or-other on a new Gibson. If this were something that added $25 to the price of the guitar, I wouldn't care, but an authentic painted Gibson pick guard is going to be a substantial chunk of change within the price of the guitar. This guard is way-out-of-character for a Gibson acoustic, at least in my mind....I'll see what GC says. I'll bring the money with me and maybe they'll make me an offer I can't refuse. Not counting on it, but you never know. This model isn't jumping out the door. Either way, I'll be fine with it.....Thanks for all the advice and information. Seems in this forum I always find out things I simply didn't know or hadn't yet considered from a particular perspective.

ok, don't buy the darn thing then!

edit: sorry, short tempered today after tne maple non-bird thing. If you buy it MP, you have the individual instrument and the sound you love. The guard issue will resolve itself?

This guard is way-out-of-character for a Gibson acoustic, at least in my mind.....

Yes, yes most of us agree. Don't forget Del who removed the entire wildlife motif from his Bird.

I have dampened the too green'n'red scenery on my Dove as well. Not with steel wool as J.K. mentioned, but with kitchen-alcohol and tooth/match-Sticks, at time a nail behind a cloth.

It's a pretty hard task, but can be done. Best idea still, is to replace the guard with something you really like and preserve the original in a velvet shrine.

Archived