Gibson Brands Forums

Remember When....

charlie brown

Been having this topic, and/or discussion, come up a lot lately,

around these parts. And, not only by folks my age, but some that

are much younger.

Time: How it slips away, without our even noticing...until, it's "too late."

Remember, when a "whole year," was "forever?!!" Especially, in school. How

summer was never long enough, and the school year, took decades to get through.

My, how things change! [tongue][biggrin]

My memory, of the last 20 years, reminds me of the visual, they use in the

"Star Trek" movies, to illustrate "Warp Speed!" [tongue][scared][biggrin]

SO!!!...what's my point?! If you're going to DO something, anything...musical

or not, DO IT, NOW! Time waits for NO one! "Life, is like a roll of toilet

paper, the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes!!"

CB

CB - I more than totally agree, you are about 2 million percent right.

You don't appreciate this (usually) when you are young - or I didn't anyway. Even though I knew it.

And then it starts to go by faster and faster. 10 years ago seems like just the other day....

Very good post. Best wishes!

Especially if you find opportunities to do what you really want...

I'll admit I, as many today of all age groups and as most folks through history, can look at different forks in the road in our past and wonder about the road not taken.

I tended to go for "doing" rather than "having." On occasion I wish I'd done otherwise, but then... in retrospect I'm not sure I'd change decisions made that brought me here today.

My bro sez I shouldn't complain, 'cuz, "M, when you croak you can be like the old cowboy whose last words came with a smile, 'it's been a good ride.'" He ain't really wrong.

Except... I'm not ready to croak and I've got a lotta pickin' yet to do, among a lot of other things.

m

My take on this...

There's always a duality about time. On one hand "it seems like just yesterday when...."

On the other hand "this has been the longest day/week/year ever!"

It always seem like I can feel both of these perspectives.

For me, as a teacher, school years are the best example. At the end of every year the kids are like "Man, that went fast." But throughout the year they were like... "Is it done yet?" [biggrin]

"Time is a relative thing. Man created it, then made himself a slave to it."

But you're right.... the older I get, the faster the years seem to pass.

If you want time to slow down, retire with no money to play. Your days will creep by.....

I heard one explanation that makes pretty good sense.

Let's start with somebody say, age 5. One year is 20 percent of his life and he doesn't really remember much of that.

At age 10, one year is 10 percent of his life. And he remembers and considers intuitively that a year is a major part of his whole life.

At 20, a year is only 5 percent of his life, but that's still pretty significant and he has expanded memories and understanding of what a year can mean in his life whether on the job, at school or in the military.

At 50, a year is .5 percent of his life. Time is shortened from the perceptions of youth as the measuring stick seems the same length, but with much smaller markings closer together.

The years seem to rush to the inevitable; and the same youthful urge to do ... something ... soon ... remains perhaps even stronger at 70 than at 40...

m

Looking back on single digit youth, every year seemed like an eternity... though of course my dinosaur addled brain simply didn't know how long life would turn out to be (still doesn't actually). But as each year passes it makes up a smaller and smaller percentage of our life span, so wouldn't it make sense that each year seems quicker and quicker comparatively? The year between 3 and 4 makes up 25% of the time we spent living on this silly marble of ours... by 40 a year only makes up 2.5%...

Maybe time doesn't fly, hindsight does?

There's a vsauce video that touches upon the subject, can't for the life of me remember which one (I saw it months ago, and my memory roughly matches that of a spork)

When you're young you ain't got nothing to do...boredom sets in.

When you're older you got responsabilities and deadlines so time seems scarce.

When you're young you got no aches and you have energy.

When you're older you hurt and you're puttered out over nothing.

I'd say that there explains it.

I know I can make more money if I spend more time at work, but I always think, "I'm never gonna be this young again. I want to enjoy it."

I think it comes down to the human mechanism for coping with time...

Like when your at work and that clock goes SOOOooo slowly... So you break your day up with tea/coffee, lunch, talking to people etc... and that makes your day go quicker.. If you happen to be REALLY busy the day usually seems to go quickly anyway..

I think if we were forced to live every year like we did when we were kids where every year is a lifetime we would all go mad.

Also I guess as you get older and start to understand time more your view of it changes.. So like my 4 year old niece.. She only really understands days, if you talk to her about whats going to happen in a week or a month she has no idea really what your talking about.

Im coming up to 40 and to me now a year means almost nothing.. Sure a lot can happen in a year, but if im waiting for an event that's a year away now its nothing compared to what that meant when I was say 20. Now, weeks go by like days and months feel like weeks... I mean its only 4 months till Christmas and 2014 :o howd that happen? :)

In my case what makes time go "fast" is when I am absent minded, when I am doing something but I am constantly thinking of something else.

Living in the moment is key to get a better perspecitve of time.

I took my car to the shop the other day, I waited for it because it was supposed to take 1 hour, it took 3...trust me time does not go by fast.

I think a lot of it is relevant to the quality of your life, which factors in to the quality of your individual days, in the microcosm of each day, this makes your hours drag, or fly..

so,, that saying "time flies when you're having fun" when you're not,, it don't...

Summers seemed endless to me when I was in grade school...

in high school, a whole summer went by in what felt a few weeks...

I look back a lot and reflect on how fast say - 20 years - goes by..

it's amazing..

At 50, a year is .5 percent of his life. Time is shortened from the perceptions of youth as the measuring stick seems the same length, but with much smaller markings closer together.

m

While I NEVER want to correct someone much smarter than me...... a year represents 2% of your life at 50, (I'm pretty sure).

"Time is a relative thing. Man created it, then made himself a slave to it."

But you're right.... the older I get, the faster the years seem to pass.

If you want time to slow down, retire with no money to play. Your days will creep by.....

I always say "Age is relative"..... that is....if all your relatives are old, chances are you are too!

Time is relative. I rationalize the phenomena of time going by faster with age this way... When you are 5 years old 1 year is one fifth of your life, which at that point is a good portion of your total existence. When you are 65 one year is only one sixty fifth of your life. As you get older one year is a smaller part of your total existence and passes by much faster. So yeah, do what ever you have planned for the future now... You don't have as much time as you thought.

Boy is my head gettin' goofy... I thought I already sent this one...

CB... you stole my line!

Rob...

Yupper... just as not getting my first response to this one got lost in the hollering here... so did my head doin' the math!

m

Archived