Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute Question

Chris Tripp

I have a neck question. Does the darkback nitro on the back of the neck give a good sliding surface like a 60s Tribute non-darkback? I have an 2005 Epiphone Wildkat in Metallic Red to compare the Gibson 60s to, but I wonder about though since there is such a heavy paint coat on the Wildkat.

Probably not out of the box. Gibby necks as a rule tend to get a bit sticky, depending on your complexion, while being played.

Eventually it wears down, but I usually keep a wipe cloth handy, specially during warm summer months, or humid days.

Lots of ppl do things to speed up the process, but I just deal with it.

Hello Chris!

Personally, I don't think there would be any noticable difference of the feel and playability between a darkback and a natural-back LP Tribute. They both have the same very thin layer of nitro finish. The fact, that there's a black paint or not underneath that layer of lacquer, shall not make any difference. Another question is when the lacquer wears of, what's going to happen?

I regularly polish all my instruments with premium polishing compound (like every 3 months), so I don't feel any difference, - not even -, between the thin finish of the Studio and the high-gloss finish of the Classic Custom's neck. None of them is "sticky".

Keep it clean, wipe the sweat of the neck after playing and polish it often, and it will stay like new.

Cheers... Bence

Chris,

you're just going to notice it more in warmer weather.

come the fall/winter/early spring, it's probably a non-issue..

but, play a gig during a heat wave in July -- yea-- bring something to wipe the neck down with,(and hands..) cuz you're going to need it.

best

/Ray

Archived