Hi,

From guitardater I have the following information,

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

May 29th, 2002

Production Number: 431

Gibson Nashville

Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

My question is why is their a Memphis logo on the back of the headstock if it was made in the Nashville plant? ](*,)

Thanks

Kevin

I did see the disclaimer about semi hollow bodied guitars......

OK, Let me clarify my question. Why say a guitar is made in Nashville when it is clearly from the Memphis shop? Is their a difference between the two facilities? if so what differences? They are located in two different cities, I was wondering why they are each not recognized as individual factories when referencing the guitardater or other serial number resources?

If you go to the user comments on the Guitar Dater website, you will see many comments indicating erroneous information. I don't want to trash the website but it seems like a place you shouldn't take too seriously. But, if you insist... maybe you should direct your questions there.

As for your question - I'm in total agreement with you but, from what I understand... and I could be wrong... is that the Memphis plant is not that old. It's possible that Gibson has not yet updated their database to point to the Memphis site as the plant of origin and Guitar Dater is simply pulling data from Gibson, providing it to you. Kinda tough to keep your own "comprehensive" database on what serial number was made where.

Great, and thank you for the answer. I guess I would like to get more information on the Memphis plant vs the other factories, there isnt much information on the web about Gibson Memphis. Your correct the guitardater is nothing more than a database, and they can only give out what they have for information.

Not sure what you are looking for as far as information about the Memphis plant.

For a serial #... you can go here - http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Doesn't identify the plant of origin but, the documentation tells you what plant makes what.... not model specific so I think you'll still have questions.

Go to Gibson.com and look at bottom of screen... lots of places to go for information there.

Archived