Gibson Brands Forums

LP Standard or LP Classic

jensbrix

Hi,

I'm going to buy a LP, but i don't know which i should choose. I'm mostly playing music inspired by GnR/Slash and other blues inspirred rock, but which guitar should i go for? Know i'm most confused about the pickups, because i'm a really newbie at that. Can someone explain to me, what the difference in the sound is? And what would you recommend ?

Like ninety said....you just need to try them out.

Especially a good size purchase like an LP..it's not cheap(at least not for me) so I'd be extra sure to get the one that sounds the best to you.

I've got a nice 05 standard that I really like. I just tried a new 08 standard yesterday. It was one of the chambered deals...it sounded really good, but with it wieghing less and all it just didn't feel like what I like in an LP. I did like all the new standard features though, nice locking tuners, locking input jack, assymetrical neck....it's a cool guitar, but I wouldn't trade it for my 05 though.

i think its foolish to spend that kind of money when you dont know the differences between the models, the pickups, etc.

i would suggest tinkering with a Vintage Mahagony or Studio and seeing how you like it. I hear Strats are nice too...:)

The classics have the 496R/500T pickups which are "hotter". One of the reasons I bought mine because I wanted the 60's neck. I'm not positive but I think the classic might have been discontinued. I don't see it here on Gibson's site anymore. So, availability might be low. The prices on the new Standards really shot up too. Try a few and see what feels and sounds good to you. Buy what you want, others here have NO idea what your financial status may be.

Well yea, but i think, if it's a guitar i'm going to have the next many many ýears, i want to buy the best. I have money enough. I just don't know if i should get a used, without weight relief, get a new standard, or maybe somthing different. I've tried Studios and Faded models, and i don't like to play them, i think they feel "weird" or something like that. I fell much more comfortable when sitting with one of the standards or traditionals

Archived