Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flying V RI 67 2006 Plywood?

jcsuperstar666

Hi everyone, i'm new and i don't know if the thread is in the right place (sorry about that), but i'm so worried because my flying v Reissue 67' 2006 (second hand) have too many layers. i don't know if somebody can show me a picture showing the guitar without the pickguard to know if mine's right or not. I notice that when i took off the pickguard.

Thnx everyone!!

It has the serial number and "made in usa" in headstock

Here some pictures

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/266145-flying-v-ri-67-playwood.html

Hi everyone, i'm new and i don't know if the thread is in the right place (sorry about that), but i'm so worried because my flying v Reissue 67' 2006 (second hand) have too many layers. i don't know if somebody can show me a picture showing the guitar without the pickguard to know if mine's right or not. I notice that when i took off the pickguard.

Thnx everyone!!

Here some pictures

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/266145-flying-v-ri-67-playwood.html

Since I am not a member of mylespaul.com I wasn't able to take a look to your pics, but reading the replies there I know what you mean and looks suspect to you.

I know quite a few guitars from different manufacturers below their pickguards and behind their back covers. Depending on graining and thickness of finish or conductive coating, you may see tool marks there which can be more or less obvious, more or less equidistant or spreaded quite irregularly which varies with woods and grain orientation, i. e. if quarter-sawn or flat-sawn.

You would find such tool marks on top and back, too, but these areas are sanded after the cutting and routing processes in order to give them an even surface. Take a look at a plain milling cutter and an end mill at wikipedia etc. - these are the tools that pieces of timber give the shape of a solidbody guitar. It is obvious that they can't produce a smooth surface in the end, and so all the visible areas are treated afterwards by artisans to make them look nicely. By the way, this work is a much bigger expense than the nowadays automated milling, and is still done all by hand.

Thnx everyone!!

Here some pictures

http://www.mylespaul...7-playwood.html

You need to post pics on Photobucket or Flickr and copy links here so that we can see them. I have one of those V's. Gibson V's were never plywood or layers with one exception, the V2 made in the mid-80's and that one was made that way for a special look and was obvious.

Here's mine:

8524164443_09ff5fb98e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived