Gibson Brands Forums

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac

dem00n

What a snooze of a record, feel like i'm listening to elevator music.

Is this soft rock or pop rock or something...?

Its just a few steps away from Starship isn't it? Which is certainly pop even if it be guitar based pop... I guess you could put it on the same level as Duran Duran and Wham..

Its just a few steps away from Starship isn't it? Which is certainly pop even if it be guitar based pop... I guess you could put it on the same level as Duran Duran and Wham..

I'm not letting my Mrs see your post Rabs, she is still a massive Duran Duran fan - I suppose someone has to carry that burden! [lol]

That may have been the first album with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. IMO, that is the album that Fleetwood Mac became a commercial band. But the album just before that might be considered a sell out album as well. Personally, I love everything before that Fleetwood Mac album, esp. the Peter Green years. I include those albums in the great years of music from '65-'75. You should have been lucky enough to have been alive then, dem00n.

I saw Fleetwood Mac live in a small venue in Greensboro, NC right after that album came out. I had a seat on the front row. They served beer at that concert, and I spent all my time in line for beer and in line for the bathroom.

Funny as in, "Oh, pleeeeeeeease!" funny.

That album is great. If people prefer the Peter Green era, that's totally cool. But comparing it to Starship, or Wham?????? Hilarious.

Lol, I probably should have put some smiley faces in.. I was just exaggerating really :)

What a snooze of a record, feel like i'm listening to elevator music.

Is this soft rock or pop rock or something...?

Guess this is the album that created what they later called mainstream. It took me by surprise that time since the only thing left of the band was the name. On the other hand, I freely admit that I loved Fleetwood Mac from the start and do so until now. However, I had to get acquainted to their new style after they had split up during a US tour and went broke, with no money to travel back to the UK. But their financial matters changed radically, too within only a few months after the Fleetwood Mac album release.

Yes, two totally different bands, but Rumours is better. Stevie should have been given far more lead vocals, because her voice is totally unique - streets ahead of CM, sorry. "Dreams" is a case in point. One of my top five vocal performances ever.

Good voices and all but the songs feel like they go adrift into no where. Then they end and i yell at my turntable THAT'S IT!?

I'm thinkin' the mellower side of 70's rock is probably not your thing, D!

Also we talked about apples to oranges recently when comparing Syd Barret era Pink Floyd to David Gilmour era Floyd. The difference between early Fleetwood Mac and pop star Fleetwood Mac is probably more like apples to zebras. Though there was a transitional (Bob Welch) period that was starting to get pretty pop like.

Nicks and Buckingham definitely took FM in a commercial direction and can be credited with bringing commercial success to the band. My personal feeling is that Nicks' voice was weak and her lyrics uninterpretable. She brought a mystical, magical image to the band and a sexuality lacking from Christine McVie, the real female talent in that band.

Edit: I agree that Bob Welch brought a more pop feel to much of FM's music, but I might argue that when CM and Welch contributed more of the writing, the melodies got better.

Before Stevie came along Christine did the singing when a female voice was required.I once heard Christine given a back-handed compliment by one of the current on-air radio personalities who knows SFA about music or the persons who perform it.After playing the fabulous Fleetwood Mac song "Over My Head" from their eponymous album he then went on gushing about how that was one of the best examples Stevie Nicks' singing and writing,I guess I should have phoned the station and set the record right but then again some of these local radio "celebrities" are so arrogant and self-absorbed,he would probably argue me blue that he was right because after all music is his profession.

Edit: I just noticed that I failed to type in the song title "Over My Head",without which the post would leave the unanswered question "What song?".I knew that I didn't have enough coffee today.

The two versions of the band, are completely different, and only share the name, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood.

There, CB. Fixed.

And I agree that it's not really fair to compare the PG years with what came next. Two (and-a-half) very different and very successful incarnations. A bit like the VW Beetle....

I don't really care for the Bob Welch period and Danny Kirwan went completely off the boil (IMO) after Green's influence/challenge was no longer there left but the LB/SV version got a lot better (again, IMO) immediately after the 'Fleetwood Mac' album.

Because so many of the songs are now so very well known t's difficult nowadays to understand just how good 'Rumours' sounded at the time.

P.

There, CB. Fixed.

And I agree that it's not really fair to compare the PG years with what came next. Two (and-a-half) very different and very successful incarnations. A bit like the VW Beetle....

I don't really care for the Bob Welch period and Danny Kirwan went completely off the boil (IMO) after Green's influence/challenge was no longer there left but the LB/SV version got a lot better (again, IMO) immediately after the 'Fleetwood Mac' album.

Because so many of the songs are now so very well known t's difficult nowadays to understand just how good 'Rumours' sounded at the time.

P.

Thanks, Pippy! [biggrin]

CB

Archived