Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana Selling via Amazon

Dotneck

I just saw in another thread that Gibson is offloading some of its inventory on Amazon. If I was a Gibson dealer I would be pissed. Gibson won't allow most dealers to list their inventory on-line. And they say the on-line posting restrictions areprotect the profit margins of their dealers. They don't want a few big dealers underselling the smaller shops.

But then Gibson sells on-line in direct competition with their own dealer network. I don't understand what's going on at Gibson.

As the English say: "That could be a bit iffy", or is the saying "Whiffy"?

They may be hoping to unload the previously mentioned 'overstocking', and at the same time sell at the non-negotiable full retail internet price like a lot of the eBay Dealers.

Our local Gibson Dealer advertises the full retail price on their site, but if you go in the shop itself you can drive a hard bargain and come out with the guitar for less that half the price sometimes. So someone with some real negotiating skills probably do really well. Doesn't make sense apart from the only possible reason that they are hoping someone sees it on their site, wants it, buys it, add to cart, boom boom, full price.

I have done this with US sites myself before..............but not the local price. I have since wondered if there is a way around it by calling them and negotiating a price - may try it next time (ooooops, will their be a next?)

BluesKing777.

Looks to me like they're letting authorized dealers sell some new instruments through Amazon's site as well as Amazon directly selling them.

Times change...gotta keep up with the times...perhaps, liberalizing their internet policy. Its a start...

Probably some strict rule guidelines to it...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I just saw in another thread that Gibson is offloading some of its inventory on Amazon. If I was a Gibson dealer I would be pissed. Gibson won't allow most dealers to list their inventory on-line. And they say the on-line posting restrictions areprotect the profit margins of their dealers. They don't want a few big dealers underselling the smaller shops.

But then Gibson sells on-line in direct competition with their own dealer network. I don't understand what's going on at Gibson.

Amazon has been a Gibson dealer for a couple of years now, and the big online dealers have been selling through their Marketplace program for at least as long, if not longer. That's nothing new. Are you saying that Gibson is selling factory-direct through the Amazon Marketplace? That would be a first. If so, can you provide a link to a specific product?

Red 333

I just looked on Amazon.com and it looks to me like Amazon is selling Gibson (as their seller...which equates to a dealer) and other dealers are selling new Gibsons through their Marketplace. That's how it looks to me. Amazon selling Gibsons (on Amazon) doesn't seem any different to me than Musicians Friend selling Gibsons. Other Gibson dealers selling new Gibsons on their marketplace is no different than the model Amazon uses for everything else they sell. Not sure what the big deal on this one is...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Amazon has been a Gibson dealer for a couple of years now, and the big online dealers have been selling through their Marketplace program for at least as long, if not longer. That's nothing new.

Absolutely correct, there is nothing new here. Amazon is a Gibson dealer outright, and other online dealers sell through Amazon via the marketplace.

From what I've observed, the guitars Amazon purchases themselves as a dealer are almost never discounted until they get rather long in the tooth > at least with certain electrics stocked in large quantities. Case in point: The Gibson SG '60s Tribute w/P90s, made in 2011, sold everywhere for $799. In the last few months, prices have changed almost daily, from the original price to a low of around $500, and back up again. So occasionally, a good deal can be had through Amazon if you happen to catch the guitar on a lowball day (when it's getting old & still overstocked).

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a good deal on a Gibson acoustic stocked by Amazon (not a marketplace vendor), it probably isn't going to happen. They only stock a few of each acoustic model at a time, and the price typically does not change.

I think I would be more concerned with how/when Amazon obtains the guitars and where they are being stored until they sell. Are they being stored in a climate controlled location (think humidity level and temperature here)? At least with authorized Gibson dealers there is some hope that they will be stored properly.

I'm also wondering how many people will end up buying the "Maestro by Gibson" guitars for $99.00, thinking they are getting a true Gibson acoustic? Probably won't be long before we have someone new posting on this forum about their new Maestro model and about what a great deal they got on their new Gibson acoustic. Although I must admit that I did buy a similar model several years ago for less than $50.00 at a local box store (with coupons, sale discount, etc.), just to see what it really was like. And to my surprise, after changing out the saddle (to bone)and strings and giving it a good setup, it really didn't sound too bad.

Archived