Gibson Brands Forums

Mic the Vocal or 'Just RunThe Video'?

BluesKing777

Lately, I have been experimenting with recording through my new little Allen & Heath 4 channel mixer - USB to to my iMac/GarageBand.

Results of the actual song and whether anyone likes it and Yada, Yada all to the side, I have found that I am really enjoying singing direct into a mic and playing acoustic to a mic at the same time, hit record and.....

So years ago, I did a bit of time as singer in bands and what I have been missing when doing video camera recordings is the 'Proximity Effect' from a decent Shure SM58 through a decent PA system - some would call it the 'Megolamaniac Effect". You can put your mouth in the mic, sing a few bars at 10,000 watts or whatever it is and you sound like the old movies where Moses takes the Tablets and a huge, booming voice tells him what to do with them, and if you hear it at a picture theatre, the whole place shakes with the voice!

Using the video camera a few feet away, that proximity thing is missing and the vocals often sound thin and weak even with a great singer.

I think it was Bing Crosby that was the first famous Star to do the proximity thing and softer crooning was invented. Before that you had to be Bessie Smith and belt it out to one mic in front of an orchestra of 50 - a friend of mine has that power and if she sings with me at my place, the Blues King sounds pathetic and little and I really need to grab the J45 and a bit of amplification.....

But a video I made of us, she hated for the very reason I stated above - she wanted that Shure SM58 right there!

Just a few thoughts for people with video cameras that are not happy with there vocal recordings.

BluesKing777.

Are you suggesting that an external mic hooked up to a camera might be worthwhile? I think my little Zoom HD or HQ 3 or whatever it is has an external mic input, but once used disables the onboard mics - so I would get either vocal or guitar with the other only bleeding in? I'm a soft singer, and a soft player. In general I guess you could say I'm a softie. :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that an external mic hooked up to a camera might be worthwhile? I think my little Zoom HD or HQ 3 or whatever it is has an external mic input, but once used disables the onboard mics - so I would get either vocal or guitar with the other only bleeding in? I'm a soft singer, and a soft player. In general I guess you could say I'm a softie. :rolleyes:

Ha Ha!

I am no expert... I did try this a couple of times on my little Sony and it sounded woeful and the controls are too small and useless - possibly why the pros pay $10000 or whatever for their camera.

Also probably another reason why even the greats like Mick will do a bit of miming/lip synching!

Have a go at an external mic on your camera and let us know the result. I am a softie as well - too many years on the smokes - given up 3 years 4 months 2 days and all that.

BluesKing777.

Themissal,

I too use the same and it works well. If you have an iPhone it plugs in directly. If you have the newer ipad or iPhone5 you need the lightning adapter it's cheap

But apogee also makes one for the iMac just seen it can't quite remember what it's called but the apple store carries all three products. The third one is to plug directly into your guitar for recording. Sorry for the highjack

Blues King...

You have an iPad? Use an Apogee iMic (you have to buy an adapter)plugged into the iPad, and the iPad's video recorder. Pretty good inexpensive combo.

Thanks Sal!

I do have an iPad and an Apogee Mic, after hearing your Apogee tracks and some others, I believe!

It is still the same problemo when recording acoustic and vocal 'live', concurrently or whatever you want to call it - 'At the same time'. How's that? I like the SM58 right in my face for the proximity effect!

I usually record my tracks 'live'.

I do really like the Apogee Mic though and will be experimenting some more!

BluesKing777.

Archived