Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera (Noel Gallagher)

Nick Nuñez

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if epiphone makes a riviera like the one Noel played in The Definately Maybe days (live by the sea, specifically) I saw that they make a guitar called the

Black Dot Royale, which is just an es-335 with a white riviera style pick guard. Although it comes close to the look of his riviera it's not the deep wine red, almost brown color and it had this very ugly sparkle binding around the body and neck... Here's a link:

www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Archtop/Black-Royale-Dot.aspx

Maybe I could purchase an Ebony es-335 and switch out the pick guard lol

But I am planning on saving up for a Sheraton II which is what he used during the "Be Here Now" era. I have read that this is an incredibly good guitar that rivals even Gibson ES-335's. it's a beautiful guitar, take a look:

www.epiphone.com/Products/Archtop/Sheraton-II.aspx

At the moment I only have a Squier strat which I've had for 5 years now as my only electric and I really can get Noel's tone on it. I really need that rich, Fat, humbucker tone.

:) thanks for any advice and greetings from Miami, USA!

PS I'm on a budget, nothing more than $600

Hi Nick,

Noel's Riviera was an early 80's Japanese matsumoku made Epi Riviera. They're great guitars, I have one in antique sunburst like Bonehead played, and used to have a wine red one like Noel's. They're going up in value of late, especially over here in the uk.

The nearest current epiphone model is probably the Sheraton ii.

And welcome to the forum...lots of info to be found here!

Hi Nick,

Noel's Riviera was an early 80's Japanese matsumoku made Epi Riviera. They're great guitars, I have one in antique sunburst like Bonehead played, and used to have a wine red one like Noel's. They're going up in value of late, especially over here in the uk.

thanks so much! yeah, i think i will buy the Sheraton II

Hi Nick,

Like this one (currently on E-bay)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Riviera-Made-in-Japan-Blue-Label-75-79-Matsumoku-Plays-Sounds-Good-/111127018431?pt=Guitar&hash=item19dfafbbbf

CB

That model with the trapeze tailpiece in that link never made it (officially) to the UK and there are other differences like the black pickguard and TRC . The model Gallagher and Bonehead played was this one (which is mine).

Riviera_small.jpg

Gallaghers was apparently a different (Cherry?) colour but Bonehead's was the Antique Sunburst as shown. The only 'mod' on that guitar is the control knobs because I prefer the look of them (I kept the originals obviously) the rest is 100% stock. Apart from being well made and really nice to play, the thing that set this apart from other MIJ guitars at the time for me was that it had/has really good sounding pickups. I bought mine thirty years ago (August '83), gigged it regularly for twenty eight and it's still going strong.

That model with the trapeze tailpiece in that link never made it (officially) to the UK and there are other differences like the black pickguard and TRC . The model Gallagher and Bonehead played was this one (which is mine).

Riviera_small.jpg

Gallaghers was apparently a different (Cherry?) colour but Bonehead's was the Antique Sunburst as shown. The only 'mod' on that guitar is the control knobs because I prefer the look of them (I kept the originals obviously) the rest is 100% stock. Apart from being well made and really nice to play, the thing that set this apart from other MIJ guitars at the time for me was that it had/has really good sounding pickups. I bought mine thirty years ago (August '83), gigged it regularly for twenty eight and it's still going strong.

That's a sharp guitar

Archived