Gibson Brands Forums

BK777 Instrumental!

BluesKing777

BK777 is going metro!

Here is my first instrumental ditty in DADGAD tuning for you, played on my trusty Gibson Blues King until I go shopping for the perfect 'Dadgadder!"

So I have called it: "Egads Dad, Is That DADGAD?"

Unfortunately, I have come out sounding like possibly a Metro Druid instead of the fine fingerstylist I had intended to be. Soon I will be purchasing a DVD by Al Petteway who has some DADGAD lessons where he can show you how to make DADGAD sound like blues in standard tuning! (Of course we could just stay in standard tuning, but we like the open strings a-ringing!

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/egads-dad-isthat-dadgad-001a

BluesKing777.

BK...this is a GOOD recording....but if you really want to improve...have you considered stealing a few licks from Jerry K??? I think he implied he is a teacher....maybe he can take you on as a student????

Thanks Wily.

In the interest of world peace or something, Jerry and I have declared a truce!

We many even have some hot other news later!

BluesKing777.

Thanks Wily.

In the interest of world peace or something, Jerry and I have declared a truce!

We many even have some hot other news later!

BluesKing777.

True. I am now a big BK fan. A man of many talents and a cool dude who can crash in my pad in Oakland any time.

OMG BK's people and my people start talks about a new project and the jealousy erupts.

Well, it must be one of those east bay/south bay things with you and Wily........

I'm trying to find time to meet that old curmudgeon in person and make some (guitar) music, if I can drag myself away from my current Nob Hill digs and down the 101.

Oakland? Do people really live in Oakland?

There's an awful lot of people on this forum in the San Francisco area. Even more if you spread the net to include outliers like Danville Rob and Ol Fred out in the boondocks.......

Oakland? Do people really live in Oakland?

Thou kiddeth? It's a happening hive of multi-ethnic jive. It's the home of Oaksterdam! I've heard some startlingly heavy jazz-oriented music right on the street here. It has blackness to the max. There are some interesting native Americans who live in a park near me. Old men play Chinese canons on folding tables set up on the sidewalk. A lot of mandarin speakers now too, different from when I went to Cal in the 70's. The band practice room at Laney College is a place where you can hear some of the best jazz in the country on the planet, free! It's just down the street from me!

Thanks!

BBG : Yep! That's me - sometimes known as Bert Page...................

(Fingerpicking bareback with index fingernail ovehanging my finger flesh approximately 1/4 mm, so not really any large claw to speak of this morning.)

Before I hit record, I had been running through some Gaelic DADGAD stuff from El McMeen on Stefan Grossman Workshop and then a short go at Appalachian DADGAD with 'Sunny Down South' also from Stefan Grossman. Then I had a go at some Lawrence Juber from memory because the cheapskates who made his DVD lesson did NOT give any paperwork that I like to double check from - just a note in the dvd case saying you can buy the music for this track in this book, and the music for this track in this book, etc, etc., which basically wasn't going to happen when I bought the DVD and most certainly is not going to happen a few years later when everyone has stopped selling his music/tab books.

Like I said when I first posted, Al Petteway has some stuff to show how to play DADGAD in different styles - a good idea because as soon as I get in this tuning i usually end up doing the same 3 tunes, do a quick jig and grab another guitar in standard tuning out of boredom with myself.

BluesKing777

EDIT:

Here is Al playing DADGAD:

But while I was looking for that one, I found this one by Al in standard tuning (I think), but WOW, check out his guitar!:

Thanks Nick.

I am thinking more along the Lowden like this one:

http://www.georgelow...thomasleeb.html

BluesKing777.

And here is the man Thomas Leeb himself.

I myself don't really like hitting my guitar, especially since I was told "Gibsons Weren't Glued Enough"

So on the Thomas Leeb signature guitar, Lowden have put a 'scratch plate on the front near the fretboard.

BluesKing777.....who must stop putting sensational guitarists on his own thread......

I myself don't really like hitting my guitar, especially since I was told "Gibsons Weren't Glued Enough"

I think the expression is "only a Gibson is glued enough", in reference to the fact that Gibson in the past paid more attention to exterior details than cleaning up excess glue and drips on the inside.

I think the expression is "only a Gibson is glued enough", in reference to the fact that Gibson in the past paid more attention to exterior details than cleaning up excess glue and drips on the inside.

This reminds me of a funny story I read by a repair guy somewhere?

I digress for some background.....

Almost 30 years ago, I went to a John Hammond Jnr concert and on support was a sensational blues picker - Rory Block.

Mate and I had front row seats for Hammond, but then this absolute Goddess comes out and hollers and screams and bashes the hell out of her Martin - let me tell you, she can beat the crappers out of me and I would die with a grin.....I may never have recovered from that gig. No idea what poor John Hammond did after that! I would be surprised if Rory got asked back - what a show stopper dressed in black leather! Ugly ole Hammond........

So I have a few DVD blues lessons from Rory and Homespun and she demonstrates how to get the Charlie Patton thump going on her Martin, and she says the Martin has never been broken.....etc...etc and I am thinking,,,,maybe...

I wish I could remember her fave guitar repair man, but he was telling stories somewhere and his fave story is when he got the call from Rory in the middle of the night.. ..she has the gig tonight and she has just broken the top of her Martin while in rehearsal while doing her Charlie Patton tapping......

She now has her own martin Sig Model according to her webpage:

http://www.roryblock.com/

Ignore my silliness, if you like country blues and have not heard Rory - she is up their with the VERY best.

BluesKing777.

This reminds me of a funny story I read by a repair guy somewhere?

I digress for some background.....

Almost 30 years ago, I went to a John Hammond Jnr concert and on support was a sensational blues picker - Rory Block.

Mate and I had front row seats for Hammond, but then this absolute Goddess comes out and hollers and screams and bashes the hell out of her Martin - let me tell you, she can beat the crappers out of me and I would die with a grin.....I may never have recovered from that gig. No idea what poor John Hammond did after that! I would be surprised if Rory got asked back - what a show stopper dressed in black leather! Ugly ole Hammond........

So I have a few DVD blues lessons from Rory and Homespun and she demonstrates how to get the Charlie Patton thump going on her Martin, and she says the Martin has never been broken.....etc...etc and I am thinking,,,,maybe...

I wish I could remember her fave guitar repair man, but he was telling stories somewhere and his fave story is when he got the call from Rory in the middle of the night.. ..she has the gig tonight and she has just broken the top of her Martin while in rehearsal while doing her Charlie Patton tapping......

She now has her own martin Sig Model according to her webpage:

http://www.roryblock.com/

Ignore my silliness, if you like country blues and have not heard Rory - she is up their with the VERY best.

BluesKing777.

If you think I am going on a bit about Rory, this pic from her website looks a lot like what I was sitting in front of - except she was in all black leather and minus 30 years. She may have had some work done on wrinkles,but generally aged way better than BK777.

http://www.roryblock.com/Images/Rory/RAWA1.jpg

Leeb is good, fantastic technique, but I could NOT see an entire concert of this type of music.

I offered to play bongos for him so he could concentrate on his guitar pickin', but he wanted to keep going the way he was......

An old problem for all guitar players - what to follow that good tune with.

BluesKing777.

Archived