Gibson Brands Forums

southern jumbo true vintage vs. new vintage

MorrisrownSal

There are three New Vintage Southern Jumbos, which I believe are made exclusively for Wildwood.

The New Vintage Vintage Gloss SJ used hide glue for the neck but not the braces. This model would seem to be most similar to the True Vintage SJ, but with a gloss finish, rather than the semi-aged finish of the TV.

The Wildwood New Vintage Hide Glue (yes, it says hide glue in the name) uses hide glue for the neck and braces.

The New Vintage Exotic Rosewood also used hide glue for the neck and braces, but has...exotic rosewood back and sides.

I like how Wildwood named these, as they attempted to make it clear(er) what the major differences were between models, and between the True Vintage version, too.

Hope that helps.

Red 333

I can't even find the SJTV on Gibson's website - yet I know exists! I played one and Music Villa views one.

Does anybody know the differences? Is the SJTV the same as a SJNV but with yellow binding and hot hide glue on the bracing?

Inquiring minds want to know!

IIRC, most SJTVs were Sitka, not Adirondack

I was shopping a couple months ago and the only Adirondack top I came across was a Sheryl Crow SJ (which unfortunately had just been sold as I came upon it; I ended up with an terrific SJTV).

yes, I was referring to a differentiator between most J45TVs and the SJTV. Personally I'll take Sitka.

BTW, there's a SJTV on ebay right now with 5 hours to go (no affiliation,etc...)

The SJTV at Russo's is definitely Sitka with gloss top. Let'see what sells of my toys. I already sold a lens, and am will sell one of my 15 series in days.

FYI my J45TV from 2007 also had a sitka top. Damn aint nuthin wrong with sitka. I can tell the difference vs Adirondack in the visual grain, but when I play a guitar alls I really know is if I like the sound or not.

Sal. I am one who 7-10 will choose Sitka. On some guitars I find adi too bright.

Nothing wrong with Sitka imo

I would not call my Adirondack SCSJ bright. It is warm and rich. It still has the factory Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20's.

Bob

Archived