Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall JTM45 or 2061X head?

AndyK

I'm hankering after a good old-fashioned Marshall sound, and torn between these two. Is the JTM45 too loud to get a good driven sound, for a pub gig? Does it respond well to a drive pedal? Or does the 2061X 20-watter sound better with EL34s, as opposed to the KT66s?

Oh man, that's a tough one! Both are spectacular, but I'd have to go with the 20 watter for clubs - unless you need a real loud clean sound. Those EL84s (not 34s) really sing. The JTM 45 is not a lot louder - but it's a tighter, cleaner sound with the KT66s. Though it does take pedals really well. [unsure]

On the bright side, either one is going to sound amazing! [thumbup]

Either amp would be a good choice but I believe that I'd be leaning a bit more to the JTM 45 and find an old British made Marshall Guv'nor from the first year of issue-the one with the square metal casing.The Guv'nor allows you to dial in the tones several iconic Marshall amp models at bedroom volumes.The Bluesbreaker is also a great pedal to use with the JTM 45 and it's sound is self-explanatory.Although there is only a 2 W difference between the 20 W 2061,1958,2019,2022 and the 18 W 1958,1973 and 1974 models,the 18 W models are a lot more highly regarded for their superior tone.The model numbers of 18W and 20W Marshall amps can get pretty confusing because some of the model numbers were shared by both the 18W and 20 W amps so care has to be taken to find out for sure the Wattage of the model that you are buying.

Although there is only a 2 W difference between the 20 W 2061,1958,2019,2022 and the 18 W 1958,1973 and 1974 models,the 18 W models are a lot more highly regarded for their superior tone.

Good point. The real difference between those two is that the 18 watt amps have tube rectifiers whereas the 20 watt models have solid state rectifiers. Personally I prefer the sag of the tube-rectified 18 watter, but the 20 watter with solid state rectification has a slightly more modern sound.

Argh... gosh, I'm hooked on this JTM45. [unsure]

Just spoke to the bloke about going up to London town to try it, but he said it's so loud that it would be pointless doing that. Then he offered me a darned good price for cash. :blink:

Now don't flay me, but can anybody recommend me a good attenuator?

Archived