4Hayden

Very close, but with a bit more "bite" with the Mini-Humbuckers! [thumbup]

As to the ES-335 (Gibson) vs ES335 Pro, Epiphone? I really haven't

had an opportunity, to play them side by side. But I would certainly

think they'd be close! Main differences would be wood, and pickups,

caps, pots, etc. But, how much "different" they'd be? I think Epi

Semi and Hollow bodies are probably the best "bang for the buck" out

there! Still, if you can afford the Gibby, Go for it! If not, the Epi

would certainly get the job done, and quite well!

Just to add: The build, and fit/finish quality on my AIUSA Sheraton is outstanding!!

Every bit as great as any of my Gibson's. And, it sports a Nitro finish, as well.

CB

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

just to make sure: the thread says: "Show us your ES guitar" Right? (it doesn't say "Show us your ES-335 guitar") [flapper]

in that case, here's my I-don't-know-what-year-it-was-made ES-150 DCW, purchased in 1978 when I attended G.I.T. in L.A. Must be about a 1972. Does it matter? These are shown in the Custom Order Catalog of the 1970's. Not very popular but then I like not-popular guitars.

I had it butchered to my liking by adding a third-pickup, and converting it to Lefty, (zurdo means lefty in case you had no clue). yes I play left-handed but with the strings right-handed, ok so I'm not normal either, so why don't you kill me? ♫

that's how I learned back in 1963 and that's how it's going to stay. The Ventures did it.

I also simplified the controls to 3 on-off switches and 1 vol. 1 tone, who needs more than that? Sort of like a Tele but better.

the story goes....by 1978 I was so bored with solid body you-name-it guitars AND with ES-335's, (sorry but they are so "character dead"), I wanted more out of life, a cranked-out sound like Steve Howe of "YES", but also a creamy sound like Harrison's sound in the song "In My Life". This baby does it fine. It screams and sings as needed, and sounds creamy too.No feedback, I'm trying to make it feedback but it won't. The third pickup adds a certain bell-tone that I am very happy with, thank you.

this guitar should have been named the ES-375 for heaven's sake. Because that is exactly what it is, a 335 with 175 depth. Does Gibson always have a problem with marketing like they did with the Mark guitars? Just imagine a Custom Order instrument with a name like ES-150 DCW ??? HELLO ?? aaarrrggghh!

4a216c8008c98b3169e9.jpg

8dcfdadbae50015d07c9.jpg

Hi,

just to make sure: the thread says: "Show us your ES guitar" Right? (it doesn't say "Show us your ES-335 guitar") [flapper]

in that case, here's my I-don't-know-what-year-it-was-made ES-150 DCW, purchased in 1978 when I attended G.I.T. in L.A. Must be about a 1972. Does it matter? These are shown in the Custom Order Catalog of the 1970's. Not very popular but then I like not-popular guitars.

I had it butchered to my liking by adding a third-pickup, and converting it to Lefty, (zurdo means lefty in case you had no clue). yes I play left-handed but with the strings right-handed, ok so I'm not normal either, so why don't you kill me? ♫

that's how I learned back in 1963 and that's how it's going to stay. The Ventures did it.

I also simplified the controls to 3 on-off switches and 1 vol. 1 tone, who needs more than that? Sort of like a Tele but better.

the story goes....by 1978 I was so bored with solid body you-name-it guitars AND with ES-335's, (sorry but they are so "character dead"), I wanted more out of life, a cranked-out sound like Steve Howe of "YES", but also a creamy sound like Harrison's sound in the song "In My Life". This baby does it fine. It screams and sings as needed, and sounds creamy too.No feedback, I'm trying to make it feedback but it won't. The third pickup adds a certain bell-tone that I am very happy with, thank you.

this guitar should have been named the ES-375 for heaven's sake. Because that is exactly what it is, a 335 with 175 depth. Does Gibson always have a problem with marketing like they did with the Mark guitars? Just imagine a Custom Order instrument with a name like ES-150 DCW ??? HELLO ?? aaarrrggghh!

4a216c8008c98b3169e9.jpg

8dcfdadbae50015d07c9.jpg

Right Show us your ES guitars , and you have a nice one . Thanks for sharing

Egads Zurdo,!! That is one sick axe! Never seen anything like it. Thanks for posting! Play til you die my friend!

CharlesM3 you had never seen a ES-150 DCW ? ( Double Cutaway Walnut ), maybe because it had to be custom-ordered, so not many were ordered. actually I don't know. I've heard it both ways, Gibson made few of them, or Gibson made a few of them but were custom orders. it is shown in Gibson's Custom Order catalog.

these came with a 3-way toggle switch, 2 pickups, two volume, 2 tone controls, AND a Master Volume Control which I eliminated too, it was totally redundant. I like it simple.

the sound is very near Steve Howe's ES-175 when you crank it hard, but also it sounds like a real jazz guitar, not the 335 sound. Pat Metheny used to play one, his was Natural ES-150 DCN I think.

Very close, but with a bit more "bite" with the Mini-Humbuckers! [thumbup]

As to the ES-335 (Gibson) vs ES335 Pro, Epiphone? I really haven't

had an opportunity, to play them side by side. But I would certainly

think they'd be close! Main differences would be wood, and pickups,

caps, pots, etc. But, how much "different" they'd be? I think Epi

Semi and Hollow bodies are probably the best "bang for the buck" out

there! Still, if you can afford the Gibby, Go for it! If not, the Epi

would certainly get the job done, and quite well!

Just to add: The build, and fit/finish quality on my AIUSA Sheraton is outstanding!!

Every bit a great as any of my Gibson's. And, it sports a Nitro finish, as well.

CB

Think I'll try one

Gorgeous

I did not know that it was available with a flamed top !! ( mine is Sunburst plain top)

Where did you get it from ? are there other finishes ???

I bought it used in music store in Poland,the gibson.com showing the current version is a sunburst but few years ago they showed a flame maple top.

Hi

the ES339 amazing as usual.

But are you sure the one on the left is a CS336 ???

weird shape, and headstock

It's not a CS-336 but rather an ES-336. The ES-336 were made in 1996 until 2001 when it was replaced by the CS-336. It has a different headstock than the standard Gibson headstock. It was done that way to promote straight-string pull much like the PRS guitars are. When Gibson replaced it with the CS-336, they put in the standard headstock.

It's not a CS-336 but rather an ES-336. The ES-336 were made in 1996 until 2001 when it was replaced by the CS-336. It has a different headstock than the standard Gibson headstock. It was done that way to promote straight-string pull much like the PRS guitars are. When Gibson replaced it with the CS-336, they put in the standard headstock.

Good info

Thank you

we learn every day

is it a guitar made like the CS336 ( Les PAul way )???

Not sure the ones I've seen the head stock looked different, show the guys in All Things Gear and Guitar /instrument and ID they should be able to tell you for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived