Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
4Hayden

Show us your Gibson ES Series guitars

Thanks for the compliment. But instead of being egotistical, I noted the similarity because I can't understand why Gibson discontinued the ES-347. In 2010-2011 they reissued the ES-355 and charged a lot for it. I paid $1500 for mine in 1993. I thought it was a good price for a Gibson. They now reissue the ES-355 in its initial form according to the historical models, with that Bigsby on it. I actually think that the Bigsby makes it less desirable. But they always charge for any model with a solid mahogany neck.

I don't know what year Norlin sold the company to the current owners, but I think they made a mistake to discontinue this model. It is a great guitar. It might have been a casualty because of a corporate decision related to sales. But I see why they charge so much for all the blingy binding and the larger headstock; Its a historical model and is on a short run status.

2015 will go down as the weirdest year in Gibson history!

I can't understand why Gibson discontinued the ES-347.

Sales would be my 1st guess. There's quite a few discontinued that I NEED. Starting with the Pre-347, the ES-240 http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/109352-es-240-fan/, notice it has the split switch and sustain sisters. The rest are the ES-340,357 & 369. I think there's only hope of getting the 340 though.

Well, clearly I need to figure out this picture thing. I think you all get the idea, tho'. It's not super special but I like it. I'll probably never get another Gibson so it may be moot.

Here are some better pics.

post-71304-040308700 1428076499_thumb.jpg

post-71304-067635000 1428076482_thumb.jpg

Well, clearly I need to figure out this picture thing. I think you all get the idea, tho'. It's not super special but I like it. I'll probably never get another Gibson so it may be moot.

Very nice PC , you can only play one guitar at one time lol enjoy

4H

This is my ES 330 with a Bigsby. Even though I own many guitars, Stat,Tele, Les Paul, Rickenbacker and more.... This is probably one of my faviorte! 2010 done up like a 1968, chrome pickup covers, witch hats and nylon saddels

C2FA7ADE-97D0-4F63-AC3D-1E3D54689EF4_zpszhkjytxe.jpg

This is my ES 330 with a Bigsby. Even though I own many guitars, Stat,Tele, Les Paul, Rickenbacker and more.... This is probably one of my faviorte! 2010 done up like a 1968, chrome pickup covers, witch hats and nylon saddels

C2FA7ADE-97D0-4F63-AC3D-1E3D54689EF4_zpszhkjytxe.jpg

Very nice ES , They hold their value better than other guitars

4H

MR%20HEUERS%20CLASS%202015%20159_zpsswarol4m.jpg

This is my 1981 ES 347 TD. I Saved for months and when I finally received it was in the original box from Nashville. What a thrill! It's got Series 7 pickups which are very hot (15k). This guitar has unlimited tonal options with its coil tap switch.

MR%20HEUERS%20CLASS%202015%20159_zpsswarol4m.jpg

This is my 1981 ES 347 TD. I Saved for months and when I finally received it was in the original box from Nashville. What a thrill! It's got Series 7 pickups which are very hot (15k). This guitar has unlimited tonal options with its coil tap switch.

Very nice Hoya and I like the options you picked out

4H

OK, so it doesn't have an "ES" model designation, but it's a 335 to me. Here's a 1968 Trini Lopez Standard. I bought it in 1980 and the name plate was already missing from the trapeze tailpiece.

Trini.jpg

ES-355 Bigsby VOS 2015 Olive Drab Green

After some QC issues with a 2010 Fat Neck (Fretboard binding cracks) and some detour into Gretsch land, which are fantastic guitars by the way I could not resist for an other ES.

Mine seems to be a sightly modified edition, bcs it has a rosewood fret-board [rolleyes], it had the black new style vol/tone knobs (not top hats) and it has a tortoise pickguard. The one I can see on the Gibson website has a Richlite board, a black pickguard and here the mystery deepens according to the description has Gold Top Hats (V.O.S.), but looking at the picture seems to have black top hats. (Anybody else with a similar version? Could not find anything on the web about a version with a rosewood board) The model number is ES55150DNBI.

But without any further stuff, here its:post-37901-054541400 1438026827_thumb.jpg

My 73/74 335. Absolutely love this guitar. Not 100% original, replaced bridge as original corroded very badly, replaced tuners, a couple of very old filled holes by the vol/tone controls possibly for coil tap switches and the bigsby, probably not factory fitted but it's been on an awful long time!

Stunning guitar, my only electric now.

6044614ca86afea15a092d9ba25ce737_zpsnzprky59.jpg