Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Gibson ES Series guitars

4Hayden

I am the proud owner of a 2014 plain top dot neck Memphis ES-335... I'm going to give the stock electronics a roll for a while before deciding to change anything... I plan to stick with the Classic '57's for quite some time, I like what I'm hearing… today.

If having available funds is an issue, I would suggest keeping that ES-335 stock and buying an Epi Dot to do all of your mods. I have both, and from a looks and playability perspective, the Dot is very close to a 335 w/o the neck binding. IMO, the '57 classics are Gibson's best humbuckers, and there is something to be said for having all original parts on a Gibson. I put Lindy Fralin P-92s on my Dot, and I like it more than my 335. Since I bought the Dot used, I now only have around $600 (total) in it (a luthier did some work on the frets and installed the pickups).

9e583ae0-323d-4b08-864b-5f91d783d741_zpsec05595a.jpgaed97ae7-c87d-42ea-bb67-4098d1cab276_zps017eddc7.jpg

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If having available funds is an issue, I would suggest keeping that ES-335 stock and buying an Epi Dot to do all of your mods. I have both, and from a looks and playability perspective, the Dot is very close to a 335 w/o the neck binding. IMO, the '57 classics are Gibson's best humbuckers, and there is something to be said for having all original parts on a Gibson. I put Lindy Fralin P-92s on my Dot, and I like it more than my 335. Since I bought the Dot used, I now only have around $600 (total) in it (a luthier did some work on the frets and installed the pickups).

Smart man [thumbup]

Awesome looking guitar. Is it really a '58 RI? It looks like it has a bound neck and I thought '58's were unbound.

Oops, I should read closer, you mention it's an Anniversary model. Did they do a bound neck on the anniversary?

Mine. I love it. Birdie:

Elegant ES-335

IMG_0256_zpsec12b88d.jpg

Baby's back

IMG_0257_zps2cfe5f66.jpg

Gorgeous Gibson

IMG_0258-1_zpsda822b58.jpg

I still haven't taken off the pickguard protective cover. Looks like I'm not the only one.

My '66 ES335, which has quite a history. It was purchased new in early '66 by my bandmate in the Gloria-era Shadows of Knight, the late blues great, Joe Kelley. Right after he bought it Joe wanted a Bigsby, so while on the road we found one in a music store and I installed it for him in a hotel room. Turned out I didn't quite nail the centering, as I used the strap button hole as a guide. Since the strap button hole wasn't centered to the bridge & nut centerline, the Bigsby was off center as well. Joe played the 335 for about 6 months before switching to a vintage Tele. Then I started playing it several months later when my Firebird VII was stolen. I switched to Tele in summer '67, so we sold it off and never saw it again. FASt forward 40 some years, in 2008 it popped up on Ebay and I recognized it on sight from some unmistakable nicks & dings. By then it had been well used and had suffered a rather poorly installed stop tail & Nashville style bridge, plus some Schallers. Regardless, I bought it on the spot. My local luthier refretted it, reinstalled the original Klusons and cleaned it up a bit. The result is a fine, killer sounding mid-60s 335.

66ES335web.jpg

This is a photo of yours truly with the same 335, on the cover of the mid-67 edition of Gibson Gazette, a trade publication Gibson put out occasionally back then. Gibson marketing VP Bruce Bolen was a personal friend & Northwest Indiana homeboy and kindly did a piece on our band. Bruce later became President of Gibson.

GGMGibsonGazette1967web.jpg

Great fun to have this guitar come back to me the way it did!

Mine. I love it. Birdie:

Elegant ES-335

IMG_0256_zpsec12b88d.jpg

Baby's back

IMG_0257_zps2cfe5f66.jpg

Gorgeous Gibson

IMG_0258-1_zpsda822b58.jpg

I still haven't taken off the pickguard protective cover. Looks like I'm not the only one.

I like it !

That's really cool that you got that one back, I can just imagine all the great history there. I collect guitars and really love Gibsons. Coincidentally I recently purchased a guitar that I believe was your former band-mate Warren Roger's guitar, a 1961 ES-335. I also had the great fortune to hang out and play guitar a few times w/ Joe Kelley before he passed. Anyway, I'd love to compare notes about these guitars sometime. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and play blues guitar so I've always had a special appreciation for you guys! All the best, Chris

My '66 ES335, which has quite a history. It was purchased new in early '66 by my bandmate in the Gloria-era Shadows of Knight, the late blues great, Joe Kelley. Right after he bought it Joe wanted a Bigsby, so while on the road we found one in a music store and I installed it for him in a hotel room. Turned out I didn't quite nail the centering, as I used the strap button hole as a guide. Since the strap button hole wasn't centered to the bridge & nut centerline, the Bigsby was off center as well. Joe played the 335 for about 6 months before switching to a vintage Tele. Then I started playing it several months later when my Firebird VII was stolen. I switched to Tele in summer '67, so we sold it off and never saw it again. FASt forward 40 some years, in 2008 it popped up on Ebay and I recognized it on sight from some unmistakable nicks & dings. By then it had been well used and had suffered a rather poorly installed stop tail & Nashville style bridge, plus some Schallers. Regardless, I bought it on the spot. My local luthier refretted it, reinstalled the original Klusons and cleaned it up a bit. The result is a fine, killer sounding mid-60s 335.

66ES335web.jpg

This is a photo of yours truly with the same 335, on the cover of the mid-67 edition of Gibson Gazette, a trade publication Gibson put out occasionally back then. Gibson marketing VP Bruce Bolen was a personal friend & Northwest Indiana homeboy and kindly did a piece on our band. Bruce later became President of Gibson.

GGMGibsonGazette1967web.jpg

Great fun to have this guitar come back to me the way it did!

That's really cool that you got that one back, I can just imagine all the great history there. I collect guitars and really love Gibsons. Coincidentally I recently purchased a guitar that I believe was your former band-mate Warren Roger's guitar, a 1961 ES-335. I also had the great fortune to hang out and play guitar a few times w/ Joe Kelley before he passed. Anyway, I'd love to compare notes about these guitars sometime. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and play blues guitar so I've always had a special appreciation for you guys! All the best, Chris

Wow, Chris, that's wonderful you have Warren's 335. From memory I recall it had a rather large neck like a 59, which is what I've always refered to it as. One of the best 335s I ever played. Did you get it from Warren? I'm playing it in this photo, taken in Spring '66. Broke a string on my Ric and borrowed it for a set. Joe's playing the '66 335 shown above.

SoKPhoneBooth1Web.jpg

That's a great picture, Really cool to see it in action! I bought this on Ebay over a year ago from Real Guitars in San Francisco, really great guys and straight shooters. It was listed as "Handyman's Special" and the mention of Warren was merely a side note. Anyway, it was missing the tailpiece and bridge, and the two surviving pots were hanging out the "F" hole like some scrapped junker! It looked like a totally neglected guitar. But if you can believe it, it still had both original PAF's! The guitar has really been through the wars, stripped and painted black and the neck thinned down, now slimmer but super comfortable, and hands down THE most resonant guitar I've ever owned or played. I saw a video of you guys playing Gloria on a boat and sure enough, there was the dot neck Warren was playing w/ a bigsby on it just like the holes indicate. Well long story short I restored the guitar myself, found two original pots and rewired it myself (not an easy task) and put a relic'd Bigsby back on and it plays like a dream. I inquired about contacting Warren but they said it would be really difficult because he's pretty much a recluse. Anyway it's become my "desert island" guitar if you will. and I feel a certain connection to that period whenever I play it, it's kinda weird and can't really explain it. Maybe just being such a music lover and growing up in the Chicago area like you guys, anyway I couldn't be more thrilled than I am. Anyway i'll send some pics. and if you ever want to chat sometime here's my number(630)205-0665, would love to talk about some guitars! Thanks, Chris

Wow, Chris, that's wonderful you have Warren's 335. From memory I recall it had a rather large neck like a 59, which is what I've always refered to it as. One of the best 335s I ever played. Did you get it from Warren? I'm playing it in this photo, taken in Spring '66. Broke a string on my Ric and borrowed it for a set. Joe's playing the '66 335 shown above.

SoKPhoneBooth1Web.jpg

That's a great picture, Really cool to see it in action! I bought this on Ebay over a year ago from Real Guitars in San Francisco, really great guys and straight shooters. It was listed as "Handyman's Special" and the mention of Warren was merely a side note. Anyway, it was missing the tailpiece and bridge, and the two surviving pots were hanging out the "F" hole like some scrapped junker! It looked like a totally neglected guitar. But if you can believe it, it still had both original PAF's! The guitar has really been through the wars, stripped and painted black and the neck thinned down, now slimmer but super comfortable, and hands down THE most resonant guitar I've ever owned or played. I saw a video of you guys playing Gloria on a boat and sure enough, there was the dot neck Warren was playing w/ a bigsby on it just like the holes indicate. Well long story short I restored the guitar myself, found two original pots and rewired it myself (not an easy task) and put a relic'd Bigsby back on and it plays like a dream. I inquired about contacting Warren but they said it would be really difficult because he's pretty much a recluse. Anyway it's become my "desert island" guitar if you will. and I feel a certain connection to that period whenever I play it, it's kinda weird and can't really explain it. Maybe just being such a music lover and growing up in the Chicago area like you guys, anyway I couldn't be more thrilled than I am. Anyway i'll send some pics. and if you ever want to chat sometime here's my number(630)205-0665, would love to talk about some guitars! Thanks, Chris

Cool picture , the hair cuts and cloths remind me of the good ole days

Oh, by all means. PM me and we'll exchange photos.

Warren is very difficult to contact. Kind of a hopeless pursuit.

Archived