Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Gibson ES Series guitars

4Hayden

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two ladies 1979 ES-347 2013 ES-339 Traditional Pro. Both have coil tapping, ES-339 has 10db boost.

Hmm want let me post from my Dropbox account oh well.

Post them from your computer when you get home

Whenever some hipster tool tells me "well, you wouldn't know how good a pre-Norlin Gibson is compared, to, like, anything else, unless you played one, which clearly you have not," I pull out my

09_gibsones125tdc_zps79c8aaa6.jpg

1966 Gibson ES-125TDC. The previous owner had the good sense to replace the 3-per-unit Klusons with Grovers and the ABR-1 with a Nashville. God damn I hate ABR-1s with a passion. Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.

I love this guitar. It's deceptively comfortable and light. Unlike 90% of burst guitars, this one has faded to the point where it doesn't look outright tacky. It sounds really great clean or with loads of distortion. The P90s are somewhat treble heavy, allowing this guitar to cut through a mix of saturated humbucker-powered solidbodies with ease, for a very in-your-face sound. You never have to worry about the saddles not having enough range, just move the bridge. Truly, a fun instrument, yes, indeed. It still feels like every other Gibson or Epiphone or Orville I've played. This is not a bad thing. They just all feel fine to me.

• 1 month later...

That blonde '63 is really spectacular. There was a post a while back on Charlie Gleiber's blog on a very similar lefty block marker TDN but this must be a pretty rare guitar. A good contender for the nicest 335 I've seen!

Seem like yesterday when I bought my ES-345 in the Summer of 1967 from Don Weir's Music City in San Francisco. It's a player's guitar...and played/jam at Winterland that night. Brazilian rosewood fretboard has lots of divots with worn down frets, minor checkering, dry vibrating wood that stings your ribs when you play chords, feedbacks quickly; but still a joy to play and reminisce all the fond memories. [rolleyes]

ampguitarresized.jpg

DSC06530.jpg

Archived