Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Gibson ES Series guitars

4Hayden

Smart move holding onto it - sell the guitar and the money goes and the guitar is gone, too. It's much better to have the guitar!

This should be emblazoned in words of fire 10ft high in....my garden...or back room...or somewhere.

But I like to think it is finally reaching my brain......

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smart move holding onto it - sell the guitar and the money goes and the guitar is gone, too. It's much better to have the guitar!

You are so right. The money could just go a liitle here, little there and before you realize it, the money is used, whether its for a house, car, or anything really. Then what do you have. Of course unless its some thing that itself could increase in value you would not know the monet had dwindled away.

I did not need a house,or a car or anything that could warrant me needing to sell it.

I think out of all my guitars,<at one time there were 72> I have about 6 guitars that I have no need or desire to sell for any reason. The other guitars, although some are vintage, they are not so rare that if I sold them it would not be the end of the world

You are so right. The money could just go a liitle here, little there and before you realize it, the money is used, whether its for a house, car, or anything really. Then what do you have. Of course unless its some thing that itself could increase in value you would not know the monet had dwindled away.

I did not need a house,or a car or anything that could warrant me needing to sell it.

I think out of all my guitars,<at one time there were 72> I have about 6 guitars that I have no need or desire to sell for any reason. The other guitars, although some are vintage, they are not so rare that if I sold them it would not be the end of the world

I learned the hard way brc , don't sell your guitar unless you have too [cursing]

I learned the hard way brc , don't sell your guitar unless you have too [cursing]

So far I have only sold one guitar I really regret selling, a 1958 Les Paul jr, back in 1974.

If I could find it now, I would try and buy back, but that was 40 years ago.

So far I have only sold one guitar I really regret selling, a 1958 Les Paul jr, back in 1974.

We all made that mistake when we were young I guess

I don't have 72 guitars...yet...lol

Good Gibson forumites. After playing the Gibson ES 335 and the 2 Epiphone ES 335 pro's...you know...I first picked up a guitar in 1960, a small Stella acoustic. Dad took off the steel strings and put black nylon "LaBella's" on it..my 8 y/o fingers appreciated that. Got a nice chip board case, an adjustable strap, some finger and a thumb pick and a pitch pipe...man I was all set from there on in. Well...getting back to the subject...Those 2 Epiphone ES 335 Pro's, particularly the Iced Tea finished one...listen up...they are set up really good, neck oiled, just very nicely set up. The difference between the 3 really isn't much, if anything...just the script and the head stock...The sound and the playability is ...well, to me...they can't be told apart...Maybe my old ears need a good cleaning...but, you know I do dig these "Pro" Epiphone models... Both manufactures are making these particular instruments exceptionally well...If the 3 I have obtained are "typical" of what both Gibson and Epiphone are presently producing...well..here's an "atta-boy" and a pat on the back...lolmsp_thumbup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

a3c334a9-8b7a-4b16-bdca-92531a355027_zps267ea7be.jpg

I couldn't resist. This is my 1981 ES-335 that was a custom build. Howard Roberts Head stock inlay. Hearts and Flowers Artist fingerboard inlays. Gold hardware, Brazilian rosewood Chet Atkins forearm rest, Flame Blonde, edge jack plug in, binding throughout. Just a beautiful work of art.

a3c334a9-8b7a-4b16-bdca-92531a355027_zps267ea7be.jpg

I couldn't resist. This is my 1981 ES-335 that was a custom build. Howard Roberts Head stock inlay. Hearts and Flowers Artist fingerboard inlays. Gold hardware, Brazilian rosewood Chet Atkins forearm rest, Flame Blonde, edge jack plug in, binding throughout. Just a beautiful work of art.

I'm always happy when a former member of my flock makes another appearance--here's what it looked like when it left the factory with the original pickguard & TRC, sans the aftermarket arm rest:

a9c6a7e4.jpg

Note that despite what the label might say, it's actually a Custom-Shop ES-355

Danny W.

I'm always happy when a former member of my flock makes another appearance--here's what it looked like when it left the factory with the original pickguard & TRC, sans the aftermarket arm rest:

a9c6a7e4.jpg

Note that despite what the label might say, it's actually a Custom-Shop ES-355

Danny W.

Very nice guitar !

a9c6a7e4.jpg

Same here. I regret selling a '57 Les Paul Junior which I sold in 1975. It was a really dumb move. It was really difficult to keep in tune and would go out all the time when we gigged in overly warm settings.

IMG_0319SM_zps38b7b934.jpg

My 2004 ES137 Classic, the best guitar I ever held in my hands. Now with 57 Classic in bridge position. They may have to pry my cold dead fingers off of it some day.

Really nice. It didnt come with '57 classics?

Just bought this one last week. Now the best guitar I own! It's a 2008 Johnny A Standard. Factory pickguard delete..

gotta say these are the coolest looking guitars Gibson makes imo... would love to try one... but the price arrgghh it hurts just thinking about coveting it

1417039473[/url]' post='1595275']

gotta say these are the coolest looking guitars Gibson makes imo... would love to try one... but the price arrgghh it hurts just thinking about coveting it

JC, I agree about the cool factor. It's what made me take it off the wall, despite the price! I decided to go for it after I played it only for a few minutes. I'm trying to grab a few guitars that I can enjoy now and pass on to my son later that will be of some value. I think these will definitely be collectible in the future.

Here are more pics compliments of Tommy at Imperial Vintage Guitars in LA where I picked it up. Great shop, great guy, easy transaction.

https://www.dropbox....Hh9lb7Clb9NK_da

Archived