Gibson Brands Forums

Most sought after new Gibson in the future?

solving

Of the guitars built in the last 5 years, which model do you think will become the most sought after guitar within the next, let's say 25 years?

And let's leave out the extreme stuff like a $15.000 brazilian wood Doves in Flight etc.

Probably too many in production these days to create the same fever pitch like we see for older guitars now. Everyone is aware and more care is taken these days... see the polishers and the humidity freaks etc... so there should always be a reasonable amount of them around, which would only lengthen the time lapse between them being worse something, say 50-75 years perhaps.

In saying that, a half decent cataclysmic event could change all that, maybe a wee holocaust or a nuking or two in the west... basically any big game changer could alter the path (and be very exciting to boot) but I can't see me getting 10k for a bozeman era J-45 Std any time soon.

I you look at modern-era Fender, the guitars that quickly shot up in value were the early Custom Shop guitars associated with guys like Vince Cunetto, John Black, Fred Stuart and a few others who founded the CS. Guitars finished by Vince actually became known as Cunetto Strats.

So if there is such a thing out there as a signed Kopp or Walker Gibson you would think it would become sought after.

I you look at modern-era Fender, the guitars that quickly shot up in value were the early Custom Shop guitars associated with guys like Vince Cunetto, John Black, Fred Stuart and a few others who founded the CS. Guitars finished by Vince actually became known as Cunetto Strats.

So if there is such a thing out there as a signed Kopp or Walker Gibson you would think it would become sought after.

More so after the related people are pushing up daisies. Nothing brings value like a dose of death....

I do think the most sought after will be the J45 True Vintage gloss models, and the Southern Jumbos. But maybe I am reinforcing my favorites, and the ones that I think really capture that Gibson dry woody tone.

Agree.....J45TV....

I think they may be the best production model being made today.....years from now these are the ones players are going to want to get their hands on.

I'm in the "scarcity creates value" school so I think the smaller, boutique built guitars will be sought after, especially once guys like Richard Hoover and Bill Collings and men like them are no longer around. A good guitar will be a good guitar but if there are 50,000 J-45's in circulation it will still be about finding a good one in the tone department amongst all the used ones. But say, a one-of Santa Cruz H-13 touched by the actual hands of Richard Hoover, will command a premium price. Consider, if there were 20,000 1942 Gibson Southerner Jumbos out there, would they be worth as much as they go for now? The low production numbers of early Gibsons are a contributing factor to their desireability and worth.

For something to be sought after in the future needs a reason for it to be wanted so badly. What we think of now may not be what folk in the future think of. Most of today's guitars are a mix and match of wood materials (just look at the permutations of SJ's and J-45's) or reissues with or without various appointments. There is nothing really new.

What is the most sought after guitar from any decade in the past - and why? Much depends on individual tastes in guitars, music and the artists that play them.

Still an interesting topic to debate.

Bob

I don't think there'll be much of a rush -- unless something comes along to excite this future generation about acoustic music. Otherwise, Gibsons will go the way of the typewriter and film camera.

...and a lot of it will be defined by the trend of the day... and the fashionistas that dominate the scene of that time.

I want to change my answer to this....

ParlorMan has it right.....I think the rest of us answered based on what is good today....if this question was asked 45 years ago everyone would have said slim taper 1 5/8 inch necks...or folk guitars or etc....

Funny how there is an often shared sense of what is desirable based on tonal qualities, nut width, slotted-unsloted, thick thin, burst dark light etc.....and that sense eventually becomes shared by a large enough group of people that it becomes the new norm. Through the interplay between builder and buyer those features collectively change over time to the degree that one could roughly characterize guitars by the decade...certainly by era.

if we are talking regular production guitars- then I assume much would depend on what is-- and--- what is not in production at the time... the first guitar that comes to mind though for me- is the J45TV. (madhat wants one!)

I do think the current J35 guitars in production are going to prove to be outstanding players in the future as they mature- so if these fall out of production- I think they will be very desirable.

but my J35 stays with me! [thumbup]

madhat.

At the Homecoming Ren Ferguson signed labels for participants. Those will likely become valuable later. He also signed the inside of the tops of a lot of guitars he worked on - valuable later. Who knows, decades from now somebody discovers a signed Ren Ferguson in a pawnshop on Mars and rejoices because it's just like a Lloyd Loar to us.

I think a lot of the 'contemporarys' will get a huge reputation in the decades to come - especially if we imagine a shortage of wood and restricted resourses.

However I'm on the team that predicts the TV's an extra boomy future. Not least now when they are no longer available (let's see how long that lasts).

If we take my recent (50th Anniversary) Dove thread as some sort of crystal ball, the maple squares won't be particularly visible.

Only 66 people clicked in and nobody left as much as a comma. Of course exactly that might make them even more exotic in 2025 and beyond. . .

"Sweet proud dove - you need a little love"

.. . .. . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . E-minor7

Archived