Gibson Brands Forums

Fingerpickers

quapman

Interesting.

Well ,, I'm not a nail biter so I'm fine with letting them grow. Nor am I concerned with how they look.

But, I am curious about the finger picks,,, I almost went and bought some but came to the conclusion that I would try them,,, hate them,,, and then leave them in a dish somewhere to collect dust until the wife threw them out.

Can you explain what you like about them? :)

Well... I will tell you.... I tried finger picks a looooooong time ago. But, at the time, I hated them like you. Of course, I had bought the wrong kind—that is, ones that just didn't work for me. So, I figured that all finger picks would equally blow! LOL!

What I like about the nickel ProPiks is the "open" finger design where the flesh makes contact with the string while the string rings out from the picks' edge. It's the perfect balance for me. They are comfortable, as well. I can definitely feel them on my finger tips, but they are not "intrusive", or feel unnatural. Hard to explain with words... you'd have to try them yourself. Check 'em out:

propik-fingertone-on-fingers.jpg

I tried a bunch of other kinds before I found the ProPiks. I tried, among others, "Alaskan" finger picks. They sounded like what I was after, as they sort of "fit" under your fingernail, and thus were supposed to replicate a grown fingernail. They would have been ideal for a fingernail biter like myself... but they just didn't feel right, and it was necessary to file them them down, etc. Too much hassle.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of links you may find helpful...

Cool,, so that first link was interesting.

But I don't get why the thumb pick disappeared? Was that for demonstration?

I like that idea though

but the second vid with the alaska pics? was just too much work for me.

I really don't think i have any interest in pics on my fingers.

But cool though

Thanks for posting that man :)

Well... I will tell you.... I tried finger picks a looooooong time ago. But, at the time, I hated them like you. Of course, I had bought the wrong kind—that is, ones that just didn't work for me. So, I figured that all finger picks would equally blow! LOL!

What I like about the nickel ProPiks is the "open" finger design where the flesh makes contact with the string while the string rings out from the picks' edge. It's the perfect balance for me. They are comfortable, as well. I can definitely feel them on my finger tips, but they are not "intrusive", or feel unnatural. Hard to explain with words... you'd have to try them yourself. Check 'em out:

propik-fingertone-on-fingers.jpg

I tried a bunch of other kinds before I found the ProPiks. I tried, among others, "Alaskan" finger picks. They sounded like what I was after, as they sort of "fit" under your fingernail, and thus were supposed to replicate a grown fingernail. They would have been ideal for a fingernail biter like myself... but they just didn't feel right, and it was necessary to file them them down, etc. Too much hassle.

Well,, other than the S & M look they have,, lol,,, I must say I am somewhat intrigued.

Those are NOTHING like I think of when I think of finger picks.

I would be very open to trying them. Interesting.

After a quick search,, I don't see them available locally,,, did you have to order yours?

Well,, other than the S & M look they have,, lol,,, I must say I am somewhat intrigued.

After a quick search,, I don't see them available locally,,, did you have to order yours?

Same here… the first set of finger picks (mentioned in my previous post) I ever bought looked like those black "witch nails" that you use for a Halloween witch costume! LOL! [biggrin] They were big and clunky and felt awful. They turned me off completely to the idea of learning finger style. These ProPiks are like, to me, the "non-finger pick" finger pick.

So, yeah, I had to order them. I can't for the life of me remember from where, though. Some specialty web site that sells all different kinds of picks.

I bought two finger picks and the "accompanying" thumb pick. I have yet to endeavor to play with three finger picks! :unsure:

I got onto the then "Dobro" brand clear plastic/sharp tip thumbpicks and two National steel fingerpicks from banjo pickin 'cuz I was mostly playing stuff on a classical guitar at the time - yup, roughly 50 years ago.

When I started playing 12-string, I added the third fingerpick to my ring finger largely to do roughly a Carter Family Scratch.

I've noticed that the guys who use flatpick and fingerpicks on guitar have tended to have the steel fingerpicks on middle and ring finger. Ain't watched that many steel guitar players to guess how they're doin' it, but I'd guess more likely thumb and two fingerpicks given that was pretty much the "in" thing 50 and more years ago for any fingerpicking.

m

You can order them online from Elderly Instruments (http://elderly.com/brand/PROPIK.html).

Interesting video from Lindsey Buckingham, who's known for "playing till my fingers bleed" on how he developed his "style".

Me, I have a tendency to use nails, and for the most part, "banjo rolls" as I fingerpick along on my acoustics. I get "irritated" when I break a nail on my right hand, which I keep slightly longer than the nails on my left. Doesn't matter. I still suck LOL.

So it seems the propiks are not available locally so I would have to order them.

How the hell am I supposed to size them? lol

Sure would like to try them on first but they are not expensive so I guess it's an option.

But,, I have applied a couple of coats of "hard as nails" clear polish today.

Going to see how they grow out.

Hell if nothing else I have some really shiny nails on one hand... lol...

Enjoyed the vid Dennis.. thanks for posting it. That was interesting.

Nails, its a consistent tone and flesh takes years to get that corn on it (Wes!)

Though its difficult to maintain nails, if you break one then you have to start over and it can be a *****. Also depends on your job, do you always need short nails? What suits your life style?

James Taylor has a video on how to build up your own artificial nails:

James Taylor has a video on how to build up your own artificial nails:

That was interesting. But I would say it's more of a reinforcement than artificial.

He didn't seem to be lengthening them at all,, just strengthening.

Thanks for posting.

A little Carter Scratch in there somewhere?

Nicely done Brother,,, [thumbup]

What exactly is the "Carter Scratch"?

Is that the down stroke of all the fingers?

I googled it but it's not that clear... lol.

is it a thumb brush or a downstroke of all the fingers?

I kinda already to the downstroke of all the fingers.

and hey,, by the way,, the nails are almost grown out to where they are

in play... lol..

So far so good,,, no breaks yet.. lol.

Here's the Carter scratch. I don't really do it, but I sometimes strum with the back of my fingernails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENS4nD0vRKI

This vid has the Carter sisters with their mother. They're from around here and I've had the opportunity to go to their place many times. My wife went to high school with one of the nephews' - Dale Jett's - wife, and I was fortunate to have been introduced to Anita before she passed away. Johnny Cash was married to June Carter, BTW, the gal with the long hair (I think that's her, maybe not).

I was privileged to meet and talk a bit with Mother Maybelle whom I consider pretty much an angel. Got to attempt to play her big old Gibson archtop, too, in the lead-up to a Johnny Cash concert where my journalistic duty was to interview Johnny. Attempt? Hey, I'd been playing mostly 12-string at the time, and thought my left hand was fairly strong. Her Mapes Extra Heavy strings were more than I could make "Wildwood Flower" sound like Wildwood Flower. Sheesh. She was something special.

Yup to June Carter Cash being the long-haired girl.

As far as the Carter Family Scratch, it's basically the same on guitar as it was on autoharp.

m

1378141780[/url]' post='1419888']

I was privileged to meet and talk a bit with Mother Maybelle whom I consider pretty much an angel. Got to attempt to play her big old Gibson archtop, too, in the lead-up to a Johnny Cash concert where my journalistic duty was to interview Johnny. Attempt? Hey, I'd been playing mostly 12-string at the time, and thought my left hand was fairly strong. Her Mapes Extra Heavy strings were more than I could make "Wildwood Flower" sound like Wildwood Flower. Sheesh. She was something special.

Yup to June Carter Cash being the long-haired girl.

As far as the Carter Family Scratch, it's basically the same on guitar as it was on autoharp.

m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAeT1JmJNTg

Great story Milod, I can relate to the heavy Mapes strings, I had a friend who played a L-5 with strings that felt like cables. Mapes is still around.

My ex-drummer told me to learn to pick and now that I've been doing it for a few months, like two or three, I realize its tricky for sure.

This is a great thread...nice vids too. I use the pads of my fingers because I never could get down with a pick, even tried the ones that wrap about and meh. Ani Difranco uses electrical tape to get them press-ons to stay real firm.ain't FPing in this one but you see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL8oM7kYl6w

Here's the Carter scratch. I don't really do it, but I sometimes strum with the back of my fingernails.

Wow. I did not know that had a name. I cannot finger pick without doing this... though I don't do it on every other beat like she does - only on certain beats - and with only one finger usually. Now I'm curious to figure out which beats and which finger. I never really thought about it - I just do it - and it helps me keep solid time.

That is very cool M.

My ex-drummer told me to learn to pick and now that I've been doing it for a few months, like two or three, I realize its tricky for sure.

This is a great thread...nice vids too. I use the pads of my fingers because I never could get down with a pick, even tried the ones that wrap about and meh. Ani Difranco uses electrical tape to get them press-ons to stay real firm.ain't FPing in this one but you see what I mean.

Great video Izzy. Thanks.

I don't know Ani. I can see perhaps where you get some of your influence from?

She's kickin it. Really liked that tune.

[thumbup]

Archived