Gibson Brands Forums

4 Conductor humbucker problems =/

drzing

What are the top 10 mistakes when wiring two four conducer humbuckers to a gibson/LP guitar?

Somehow I cannot seem to make this DP100 operate in serial mode, I ran it in parallel ok,

both coils are nice but the output loss can be noticed, despite of a great sound.

I know it probably is a little mistake of my own (IF that wire hasn't been replaced by another

from another brand and I'm getting color-misguided).

One thing that has drawn my attention (it had a couple dirty fingers, four conducer in it before),

is that they have only started to work after I took out the bare wire off the ground position where

schemes say it has to go and had them isolated (normal?).

Can someone help me try to clear a few points before I make the shameful walk to the luthier?

1 - Not noticing that the wiring of one pickup influences the wiring of the other - I know I haven't paid much attention to this.

*Maybe its best to unwire the gibson and have the DP100 set correctly.

2 - Grounding issues? How important is it, for real, it does have its exceptions, right?

3 - On a few wiring configurations I have tried, I had the guitar plugged to a visual EQ and it has shown signal, albeit no

sound came out, so I got signs of life. I'm not sure, is it out of phase with the other pickup? So is it just to invert the hot/ground?

4 - ??? *your hint here!

Thanks, cheers. \m/

Just tried another random bucker, it was a bad contact or probably some oxidation at the middle pot connector.

AND, I believe, bad solder. A combo that doesn't helps itself, I just put a 490R and a seymour JB, and I got good output now.

I am going to rest my back for a while cause this is the a classic backbreaker LP, it is that one that hurts but still,

one can't just get rid off it and get another SG or whatever.

This guitar is almost 20 yrs old, still I doubt some WD40 won't fix it. Still, a rewiring will be in order for the next

decade, perhaps.

Lets hear.

Archived