Gibson Brands Forums

The New Kirk Douglas SG

darling67

But, I'm philosophical, about it...if it's meant to be, I'll get it...

if not, "C'est La Vie!" I'll just order (and take my chances, on) a

'61 SG Tribute, with the side/vibrola, instead. There's always "Options!" [biggrin]

thats the spirit! yes there are plenty of fish in the sea as they say.

Always helps to remember even if there is a only a 'limited run' there's ALWAYS another guitar.

sweetwater had 7 of them and i figured they'd be there at least a little while. but i want to say they lasted about 10 days. pretty quick on this one.

the 61 SG RI with sideways trem arm does look pretty sweet. and should Gibson opt of out making more of the KDSG, that 61SGRI is a welcome addition to any collection.

Much experience with a side trem?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We (my dealer and I) just can't figure out, what's taking so long...

we ordered it, before it was even on the Gibson website. I had one

reserved, from the 3 other's they had already ordered. But, so far,

NONE of them, have shown up?! People, that ordered after I did, or

bought from Sweetwater, Sam Ash, or MF, all seem to have their's already.

But, I love my dealer, and their service and PRICES! So, I'm going to

stick it out. It's not that big a deal, as I've mentioned before.

Just kind of "frustrating," for both my dealer, and myself. That's all.

Regarding the "sideways" vibrola, I used one decades ago, on an original

'61 Les Paul (SG). They state, on the new/reissue, that they've re-

engineered it, to be a LOT smoother, and accurate, when returning to

pitch. I just think Maestro's look "cool!" Regular, or Sideways versions.

Plus, I seemed to have developed as SERIOUS case, of SG itis!

LOL At my age, that's a bit "Daft=Crazy," but...WTH?! [biggrin]

CB

Well, I had some comforting news, out of the blue, from my dealer, this morning...

They have had their KDSG order, re-confirmed by Gibson. So,

at this point, it appears not to be a question of IF they'll

get them, but "When." I was assured, that they WILL get them,

and I'll be first on the list, when they do. Sounds like it

will be sometime this next month (November). Cool! That's a

big relief, to me. "Waiting" I don't mind, but the wondering

IF they would show up, at all, was a bit disconcerting. So,

I feel much better, about it, now. [thumbup] Who knows, mine

may show up, around my birthday, or slightly after? That would

be a nice "present" to myself. LOL [biggrin][thumbup]

CB

Well, I had some comforting news, out of the blue, from my dealer, this morning...

CB

A nice present indeed!!

CB

Hang in there CB!!! It'll be worth the wait.

I ordered mine from Guitar Center on 11/2 and received it on 11/17.

This is my 4th Gibson, but let me be clear that I am not an expert nor a professional player.

Like RS was saying - "..Guitar is drop dead gorgeous..".

Mine came with some cloudiness on the body (where the forearm rests) finish & the gold Vibrola tail cover. The body cleaned up easily, but the gold Vibrola cover took some effort.

The gold Vibrola cover is a finger print magnet. I think I would have preferred clear coated solid brass hardware (which has the look of gold without the delicateness of gold leafing/plating).

This is my first time experience with the middle pickup toggle-pot. It works but I don't have anything else to compare it with. Gibson should post a YouTube on how to best use this middle pickup & its toggle-pot. Otherwise, using it wrongly (not as originally intended) can bring about some nasty unnecessary comments/complaints.

Other than that, the guitar was as perfect as can be. Overall, it looks amazing, feels perfect, & sounds fantastic. Again, this is from my very non-expert/non-professional point of view.

Good luck with yours & Happy Birthday!!!

IT's HERE!!!!! [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin] My 64th "Birthday Present" to myself,

FINALLY arrived! It was well WORTH the wait!!! [thumbup]

SC_93261_zps024bf3b8.jpg.html]DSC_93261_zps024bf3b8.jpg[/url]

CB

COngratulations CB. One hell of a guitar, eh?

are my eyes playin tricks or did you already change the nut! that looks like afermarket nut and D'Addario strings!

are my eyes playin tricks or did you already change the nut! that looks like aftermarket nut and D'Addario strings!

Your eyes are correct. I ALWAYS change the Gibson Corian nut, to a bone nut.

It's just part of the deal, with my dealer, whenever I buy a Gibson. Other

brands, too...if they have "plastic" nuts. And, they are D'Addario stings,

as well. 10's, in this case. I may go to the hybrid 9-46 (instead of 10-46)

later? Time will tell. But, it plays just fine, as is. [thumbup]

And...YES, "one Hell of a guitar," indeed!! [biggrin]

CB

Your eyes are correct. I ALWAYS change the Gibson Corian nut, to a bone nut.

It's just part of the deal, with my dealer, whenever I buy a Gibson. Other

brands, too...if they have "plastic" nuts. And, they are D'Addario stings,

as well. 10's, in this case. I may go to the hybrid 9-46 (instead of 10-46)

later? Time will tell. But, it plays just fine, as is. [thumbup]

And...YES, "one Hell of a guitar," indeed!! [biggrin]

CB

stick with 10s. the .9s are way too thin to handle the vibrola and come back to pitch imho.

your dealer wrapped the strings right too! Glad you got it. I'm glad the wait is over.

mine still has the stock nut. Why did you choose a bone nut? I have a bone nut on my classical, but that's just how it was built. Why do you and others prefer bone? just curious.

stick with 10s. the .9s are way too thin to handle the vibrola and come back to pitch imho.

your dealer wrapped the strings right too! Glad you got it. I'm glad the wait is over.

mine still has the stock nut. Why did you choose a bone nut? I have a bone nut on my classical, but that's just how it was built. Why do you and others prefer bone? just curious.

Well, bone nuts, to me, have more sustain, and don't tend to pinch the strings,

like the Corian versions, sometimes (too often, IMHO) tend to do. I've just always

preferred them. Not sure, exactly when Gibson went to "plastic" nuts??? Some say

they can't tell much, if any difference, in performance (tone/sustain), but I sure

can. So, I've always had the bone nuts installed, as part of my "deal." [smile]

CB

Well, bone nuts, to me, have more sustain, and don't tend to pinch the strings,

like the Corian versions, sometimes (too often, IMHO) tend to do. I've just always

preferred them. Not sure, exactly when Gibson went to "plastic" nuts??? Some say

they can't tell much, if any difference, in performance (tone/sustain), but I sure

can. So, I've always had the bone nuts installed, as part of my "deal." [smile]

CB

congrats with the new Sg CB, looks great [thumbup]

I might have to try that bonenut, as my Sg Original has two deadspots( B string 17 and 18 fret.) That might cure it.

Hello CB, OK, after having posted into your birthday topic in this regard I do now repeat myself, but I do confirm here your Captain SG obviously was worth the wait, as you pointed out - great guitar! [thumbup]

congrats with the new Sg CB, looks great [thumbup]

I might have to try that bonenut, as my Sg Original has two deadspots( B string 17 and 18 fret.) That might cure it.

It is rather unlikely that a different nut will help against dead spots. Due to being at the 17th and 18th fret, they might come from the vibrato tailpiece.

Typical live or dead spots caused by the neck usually occur between nut and neck heel. Hollowbodies, solidbodies of very light weight, and guitars with non-locked vibratos tend to live and dead spots beyond the neck heel, too.

Live spots usually become obvious through buzz fret at certain notes although both fret heights and neck curvature are fine.

I think Capmaster is right. Probably won't help those kinds of "dead spots,"

unless the nut is cut poorly (too deep) on certain strings?? But, overall, it

seems to increase sustain, over the plastic one. It's so strange, that the least

expensive part of a guitar, and one of the most important, as well...is so often

overlooked, and/or problematic, even right out of the factory! [unsure]](*,)

CB

are my eyes playin tricks or did you already change the nut! that looks like afermarket nut and D'Addario strings!

Yes - Congrats CB!!! Finally - the baby is home...

RS - Amazing eyes you have!!! The nut I can see, but how in the world can you tell a string brand (from a picture no less)?!?!?!

Does anyone have a good way of caring for the gold parts? I emailed Gibson Support with this question and they replied for me to use their Vintage Clean & Polish kit - in particular the Metal Cleaner from this kit for the gold parts since it is low in abrasion. I've use this before on my other Gibsons with chrome parts and it did work very well. So I tried it on the tail piece butt-end (near the bottom guitar strap button) and it cleaned the gold part well, but it took the mirrored finish off. Gold is so much softer than chrome. So don't anyone use the Metal Cleaner on their gold parts. Thx.

Hello CB, OK, after having posted into your birthday topic in this regard I do now repeat myself, but I do confirm here your Captain SG obviously was worth the wait, as you pointed out - great guitar! [thumbup]

It is rather unlikely that a different nut will help against dead spots. Due to being at the 17th and 18th fret, they might come from the vibrato tailpiece.

Typical live or dead spots caused by the neck usually occur between nut and neck heel. Hollowbodies, solidbodies of very light weight, and guitars with non-locked vibratos tend to live and dead spots beyond the neck heel, too.

Live spots usually become obvious through buzz fret at certain notes although both fret heights and neck curvature are fine.

Sounds fair. Guess i have to live with it. There's no thing like a perfect guitar, there's always something

Yes - Congrats CB!!! Finally - the baby is home...

RS - Amazing eyes you have!!! The nut I can see, but how in the world can you tell a string brand (from a picture no less)?!?!?!

By the color of the "barrels" on the string ends, I suspect. [thumbup][biggrin]

And, thanks, mygibs...it's a great guitar, and well worth the extra wait time.

CB

By the color of the "barrels" on the string ends, I suspect. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

[lol] [lol] [lol]

One of my LPs came with the colourful D'Addario ball ends, too. If I played them on my TP-6 equipped Gibsons, they would look rather funny... :)

Sounds fair. Guess i have to live with it. There's no thing like a perfect guitar, there's always something

This is true. I experienced that among dozens of guitars there may be one without a weak note. Those with dead notes often do have live notes, too, which sometimes cause string buzz.

Among twenty-four solidbodies of mine, there are just two without obvious dull notes, my Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013 and my Fender Telecaster American Deluxe Ash with one-piece maple neck. Both of my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs come very close, although the other two SGs of mine have SG-typical dead spots either. Then there are my Ibanez RG430 and Weimann Blues Bird with just one only slightly weaker note each, but all other guitars of mine including Les Pauls do have significant dead spots.

I put up with it since they are great in any other sonic respect and very playable.

Nice CB!

A little over a month ago I went into my local Long&McQuade to inquire about the new Fender Dimension bass. None were there but my buddy/salesperson Rick showed me the KDSG on their site, and the price was only 1399.00. Not having played a SG before I decided to put a downpayment on one(again, none in stock and no knowledge on when they would available).

Thursday past it came in, picked it up on Friday. Very nice guitar and it's loud. No issues with the wiring. Only fault I found is when the toggle switch is in the neck position, the togpot is a little difficult to turn. Other then that, perfect!

It's a keeper.

Pics would be the same as CB's

Teer

Archived