Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nicoladj

What would be the impact of having USB3 instead of USB2?

I've had the SCS 4DJ for a long time and i'm generally happy with it, i got used to it's slowliness. From example it takes 9 minutes to start and read a 64 gb USB stick, class 10. I tried also sticking a SSD to it, but the increase in speed was not noticeable. I was wondering where the bottleneck is, if it's the USB2 or the processor. I mean, if we see a SCS 4DJ 2 we will surely see USB 3 and a better processor, i was just curious to know if a USB3 instead of a USB2 on the current model would make a big difference?

Hi. There are no issues in using a USB 3 capable device, however, the maximum speeds are throttled down to the max possible USB 2 device. This means in practice that read/write speeds won't exceed 35 mb/s even though the advertised speeds for USB is much quicker. By buying a USB 3 device you are simply ensuring you get the maximum out of the USB 2 if that makes sense.

I have a patriot rage USB 3 64gb stick loaded with 3100 tunes taking up 24gb on my hard drive. The SCS 4 reads the songs in 50 seconds and it takes a further 60 seconds to get rid of the lag. I've just purchased a SSD 64gb so will update on any speed increase

Thanks for the answer, my question was a little more tecnichal, i meant what if the SCS 4DJ was equipped with USB 3 ports?Obviously in a new version. Would that help with general slowliness in loading songs?Is this slowliness related to the CPU or to the USB bus?

Guest Professorbx

Thanks for the answer, my question was a little more tecnichal, i meant what if the SCS 4DJ was equipped with USB 3 ports?Obviously in a new version. Would that help with general slowliness in loading songs?Is this slowliness related to the CPU or to the USB bus?

No impact at all. The issue isn't speed of streaming audio, it is read/write latency and caching the library. In theory, USB1.1 wouldn't have been much slower.