Gibson Brands Forums

Best tonal / sound descriptions

ParlourMan

OK, it's about electrics, but although I read it years ago I still remember the review of a Marshall amp in a German guitar & bass magazine. The tonal result when set to crunchy distortion while playing a Fender Stratocaster with two pickups in parallel was called "egg slicer sound" there. [biggrin]

Here's how I would describe my new AJ Short Scale Mahogany:

When I first played my AJ, I thought I'd discovered Zeus on a mountaintop!!! Intrinsically this raw, volume prone guitar is a model of weightless finesse! This instrument abounds with focused notes and a silky tonal finish. Lush, elegant, and nuanced, this Mahogany machine will make you forget about Rosewood! It naturally conjures up prestige and luxury, while supple or strong, at ease with any masculine or feminine regimen of playing you can toss at it. Be delicate or dig in, you will find it will take it all, with nary a hair out of place. It has a ways to go in terms of refinement and profundity due to it's young age, but it's sound is deep, concentrated, and luring with all the dark, brooding over tones that make top tier guitars like this so appealing. Elegant and skillfully executed, but so playable and friendly and comforting as to make falling for this big beast easier than falling into a pool of Martins. It delivers all the listening pleasure you could ask for- and then some - but adds a dimension of grace and complexity that makes this instrument worth your effort to seek out. Pricey a Gibson, but absolutely worth every penny.

When I first played my AJ, I thought I'd discovered Zeus on a mountaintop!!! Intrinsically this raw, volume prone guitar is a model of weightless finesse! This instrument abounds with focused notes and a silky tonal finish. Lush, elegant, and nuanced, this Mahogany machine will make you forget about Rosewood! It naturally conjures up prestige and luxury, while supple or strong, at ease with any masculine or feminine regimen of playing you can toss at it. Be delicate or dig in, you will find it will take it all, with nary a hair out of place. It has a ways to go in terms of refinement and profundity due to it's young age, but it's sound is deep, concentrated, and luring with all the dark, brooding over tones that make top tier guitars like this so appealing. Elegant and skillfully executed, but so playable and friendly and comforting as to make falling for this big beast easier than falling into a pool of Martins. It delivers all the listening pleasure you could ask for- and then some - but adds a dimension of grace and complexity that makes this instrument worth your effort to seek out. Pricey a Gibson, but absolutely worth every penny.

Guess you haven't seen it but heard out ;)

Your prose is admirable, but short-scale AJ mahogany? Isn't that an oxymoron? It's one I find very appealing, but what does it mean? And can there be pictures?

P

Guys.....it's a joke.......I'm making a flowery joke about describing tonal qualities of a guitar....lol....

Got it... flowery... my fault thinking you heard it all. But are you sure the smell is that of blossoms, and not perhaps due to the finish? :^o[biggrin]

My favorite expression is bound to be the intriguing, alluring, internationally known, understood and accepted, charismatic and fully covering honey glazed.

In second comes nectar dripping, , , , in all modesty an alternative coined by myself.

But there've been many good ones over the years. Wasn't there a member who used phrases from a 5-star buffet (inclusive the winecard) as metaphor for his guitar sounds.

Very entertaining, , , and of course a bit silly.

A new one learned here by Rambler the other day is woof - whatever that means.

Better ask Zomb.

Wouldnt a short scale mahogany AJ be basically a J-35, given its got the same bracing, top and side woods ?

Perhaps, but I thought he was serious, did a search, found short-scale AJs, short-scale maple AJs...so it didn't seem unlikely. A J-35 with a nice burst and some pretty inlays. My '03 OJ is almost there -- short scale, mahogany, adirondack, AJ bracing...

P

On either this forum, or the AGF, within the past year was someone linking to a youtube of a guy in Las Vegas selling an old 50's J45. The guy sounded like he partied hard, and the guitar souned amazing, and his descriptions were priceless. "friggin tone monster" is what I remember... but the guy had me thinking back to 1975 Eagles - Glen Frey and long hair... Wish I could find it. I was sold on that beater!

Here is my Hog S.S. AJ:

DSCN0151_zps01d9a57c.jpg

And my original post about this guitar:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/100358-new-addition-to-the-family/page__p__1357301__fromsearch__1#entry1357301

THIS:

"When I first played my AJ, I thought I'd discovered Zeus on a mountaintop!!! Intrinsically this raw, volume prone guitar is a model of weightless finesse! This instrument abounds with focused notes and a silky tonal finish. Lush, elegant, and nuanced, this Mahogany machine will make you forget about Rosewood! It naturally conjures up prestige and luxury, while supple or strong, at ease with any masculine or feminine regimen of playing you can toss at it. Be delicate or dig in, you will find it will take it all, with nary a hair out of place. It has a ways to go in terms of refinement and profundity due to it's young age, but it's sound is deep, concentrated, and luring with all the dark, brooding over tones that make top tier guitars like this so appealing. Elegant and skillfully executed, but so playable and friendly and comforting as to make falling for this big beast easier than falling into a pool of Martins. It delivers all the listening pleasure you could ask for- and then some - but adds a dimension of grace and complexity that makes this instrument worth your effort to seek out. Pricey a Gibson, but absolutely worth every penny."

Is how you can use a lot of words, that sound like you are saying something, but nothing is actually being said.....not one accurate thing in that entire paragraph you could hang your hat on....like a talking head Wine expert, or a N.Y.C. expert in art trying to critique a painting.....just gobbledygook!

My first Gibson was a Western Classic in the early 1990s I think... I also had a Sam Ash Songwriter Deluxe or something like that a long time ago.

However I really identify the first time I really was blown away by a Gibson was more recently - a J45TV. I bought it, and Holy Cow. I remember describing it as an old singer after drinking a fifth of scotch and smoking two packs of Marlboro Reds. Gravel. Dry. Textured. 3D.

Archived