Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird vs. Sheryl Crow C&W

littlejohnny

Hi everybody,

the release of the new j-35 made me believe I can afford another Gibson.

Although I played one that I really liked ( one of the best gibsons they had in the store, way better than the j-45 TV they had), I'm considering a Hummingbird style guitar, since I already own a j-45.

So I wonder, if the gibson Sheryl Crow C&W is structurally the same guitar as the Hummingbird.

When I went shopping for my J-45 back in 2006, I played a Hummingbird (there where no TV's at the time) which nearly made the race. The sheryl Crow models I played left me pretty much unimpressed, though i really like their sripped down cosmetics.

(Anybody who's trying to sell a natural topped Hummingbird can chime in here.)

So, is it worth trying more C&W to find that Hummingbird sound I'm looking for or does it make no sense at all, cause these guitars a structurally different.

I owned a Sheryl Crow CW Reissue. It was a great guitar, and I regret selling mine, which I did to buy an HD28 if I remember. Well the HD28 departed soon after, leaving me feeling dumb and missing my SC.

I am pretty sure the specs were identical to a "blingless" Hummingbird. Except no Grover Rotos - Vintage Kluson Tuners instead.

I tried mine before I bought it, so maybe it's like many other Gibby's - one will grab you and some others will not.

This was mine:

gib3.jpg

I owned a Sheryl Crow CW Reissue. It was a great guitar, and I regret selling mine, which I did to buy an HD28 if I remember. Well the HD28 departed soon after, leaving me feeling dumb and missing my SC.

I am pretty sure the specs were identical to a "blingless" Hummingbird. Except no Grover Rotos - Vintage Kluson Tuners instead.

ya right there Sal..every guitar will grab you differntly... but

sorry

i dont care if the specs are the same... a Hummingbird is only a Hummingbirs if its

A: Red

B: Has a humming bird on its guard

and C: sounds only like a 'Bird can sound

EA

you insist on calling your 69 whatever it is...a Hummingbird..beacuse you put a copy pg over the top of its original

soz mate..but it aint no HB

you have a lovely TV HB ..so pls just call a spade a spade and let us Gibson fanatics rest in the knowledge that

A Hummingbird...with the right burst and build..is THE icon Gibson guitar

( haha is that snobby enough for ya BBG ? x )

ya right there Sal..every guitar will grab you differntly... but

sorry

i dont care if the specs are the same... a Hummingbird is only a Hummingbirs if its

A: Red

B: Has a humming bird on its guard

and C: sounds only like a 'Bird can sound

EA

you insist on calling your 69 whatever it is...a Hummingbird..beacuse you put a copy pg over the top of its original

soz mate..but it aint no HB

you have a lovely TV HB ..so pls just call a spade a spade and let us Gibson fanatics rest in the knowledge that

A Hummingbird...with the right burst and build..is THE icon Gibson guitar

( haha is that snobby enough for ya BBG ? x )

You cork sniffer you .... I insist mine had a legal sex change and became a Bird, and Im sticking to it ... they look great together.

IMG_4080.jpg

You cork sniffer you .... I insist mine had a legal sex change and became a Bird, and Im sticking to it ... they look great together.

IMG_4080.jpg

Drool.

How come the pickguard is closer to the bridge on the blonde one? Different size guard ? Or is it down to it being out slightly from the soundhole ?

Drool.

How come the pickguard is closer to the bridge on the blonde one? Different size guard ? Or is it down to it being out slightly from the soundhole ?

The original CW guard was placed that way BBG, I placed the Bird guard over it .... we had a long debate if the thicker guard had an impact on tone and I swear it did, so it was more than just cosmetic.

However Del is right in a way that while they are two Birds, they sound MASSIVELLY different with the 69er being long scale and thicker braced which gives it a more 'rockier', rougher round the edges tone, very, very dry, no nectar at all unlike the HB TV. Many think it sounds a lot like a vintage D-18, which is fine with me.

The original CW guard was placed that way BBG, I placed the Bird guard over it .... we had a long debate if the thicker guard had an impact on tone and I swear it did, so it was more than just cosmetic.

However Del is right in a way that while they are two Birds, they sound MASSIVELLY different with the 69er being long scale and thicker braced which gives it a more 'rockier', rougher round the edges tone, very, very dry, no nectar at all unlike the HB TV. Many think it sounds a lot like a vintage D-18, which is fine with me.

Ah sure there's no point in having two that sound the same .

If I was you I would use this as an oppotunity to check out if these are as similar as the rumour says.

Not really sure though they are closely related.

The guards have different thickness and some here have claimed that could play a part in a basic voice-variation.

Mmmm, , , I don't know, but it's a bit like pins, nuts and minor brace-alterations. Some people - profs too - will claim it means a lot while others don't hear a thing.

What I know is that models sometimes differ drastically from ex. to ex., year to year.

2 Sheryl Crows might surprise you with just as highly uneven sonic souls as top-tans.

And ain't that exiting. . .

Why not go out and launch a serious A/B autumn theme. And see every issue of doubt as a reason/chance to explore.

Have a good hunt - and please report

Whey-hey... I nip out to a meeting for a few hours and it all spices up....

Regarding the 69 C&W model EA owns, I'd have to actually agree with the 'snob' here. IF EA was selling that on eBay as a Hummingbird I'm sure a few here would cry "misrepresentation" and I'd have to say fairly so, I know EA desperately wants to re-write its history but it's a CW model with a non-original PG.

Too muddy the waters further, I don't believe there's much difference between the models historically as both have seen long scale editions, same specs etc... and in the case of the modern SCCW it's just a blond bird std with a non bird guard. ...but it should still be called a CW, not an HB, even if the only difference is a moniker. As he's an ad-man I was somewhat amused by the re-writing of the 69's history and the name change process, but unfortunately a PG can't change a ledger or DB register ID, so it's a CW if you ask me (I know nobody was though.....)

My J-45 and 50 are exact copies of each other really... but I can't claim to have 2x45's, nor 2x50's.. even cloudier, if I took the 50 PG off and installed a 45 style one, I still couldn't legitimately call it a J-45AN. You can dress up history, but you can't rewrite it I'm afraid.

That'll be tuppence please..........

Ah sure there's no point in having two that sound the same .

For the gigging guitarist there's nothing better... while not exact, my 45 & 50 are essentially the same thing... same specs, same electronics, same profiule etc... for the gigs anything happens ot one, I grab the other, makes life very very easy if you do have 2 the same. Granted this is probably less interesting in a recording scenario....

LittleJohnny, Not sure if you're looking at New or Used - but to muddy the water, there was also a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo, a round shoulder like your J45. Neither this nor the CW is still in production of course. There was a big shake-up and if you're looking for a New square shoulder, you'd better start with the Gibson website and then move on to see what the 5 star dealers in your area actually have in inventory. Actually, I'm looking at the same question from the other end of the goose. Have an H'bird and want a round shoulder short scale that will be different. Was Jonesing for a J45Custom because of the rosewood b/s and ebony fingerboard until they went to join the carrier pigeons and dinosaurs. So, now considering Used. G'Luck.

LJ - No science or numbers here, but my Crow CW sounds closer to my square shouldered SJ than my mahogony Hummingbird. That is purely to my ear today. The CW is a nice Gibson with good build and tone. Mine is staying with me. Good hunting!

thanks for the input,

I'm in germany, so buying from the US is not an option, thanks anyway.

There are quit a few left of those over here in europe, but I shy away from buying online and having all the return hassle. There'll be another one in about two weeks within my reach.

Whatever, I like the concept that a guitar that was not built/intended to be a Hummingbird will never sound like a Hummingbird. But I won't refuse a good sounding guitar, if its not a Hummingbird and within my budget.

And EA, I would do the some thing to any C&W, but the fake guard is not red enough for my taste. no offense meant to these beauties.

Archived