Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Useless....

Towzend

At fingerstyle guitar.. [confused] everyone else can do it why cant i.. :rolleyes:

for a start i bite my fingernails, and when i grow them there so weak, oh yeah, ive tried the false glue on ones

and they feel like lumps of wood on the end of my fingers? i cant get on with the plasic or metal 'push on' things either?

What can i do? grow my nails and dab poison on them to stop me biting em ! [scared]

There's so many of Petes stuff that i want to play where he uses fingerstyle, and me strumming it just dont cut it!!

"I'm One" "Drowned" ect..

Can anyone help me!! where do i start? can you recommend a good fingerstyle course i can get to help me?

Thanks in advance...

Maybe try to accept playing without nails - it can be done, you're not alone.

Do you seriously think fingerpicking comes like a pigeon in the window.

You gonna WORK man - Work - Work -Work, , , , and when you're finished, work another hour.

And then wake up and work.

See in about 10 years time - when you go smoothly from G to D to EM and Bm while Travis-picking.

Now get your act together - have fun ;-)

I keep my nails clipped short. I couldn't STAND to fingerpick with nails, it would be like.... nails going down a chalk board (how convenient). I may not have the attack that a 'nailed' player has but I have complete control (such as it is) and I don't have to wince and grit my teeth while playing.

Well, actually I DO wince and grit my teeth but that's more a commentary on my ability.

Ignore tradition, clip your nails, and dig in a little harder.

I think the trick is to use those little sandpaper thingies, emery boards I think they are called, to sand your fingernails finely so you have a perfect arch, no corners and very very smooth. For you, the nail should be really short. When you hold up your hand with palm facing you and fingers pointing up, you should just, just barely see the edges of the nails protruding beyond the flesh. When you pluck, use a combination of the end of the flesh of your finger and the nail. Short and very smooth is strong. I'm not saying everyone should do this, but you probably should.

I think the trick is to use those little sandpaper thingies, emery boards I think they are called, to sand your fingernails finely so you have a perfect arch, no corners and very very smooth. For you, the nail should be really short. When you hold up your hand with palm facing you and fingers pointing up, you should just, just barely see the edges of the nails protruding beyond the flesh. When you pluck, use a combination of the end of the flesh of your finger and the nail. Short and very smooth is strong. I'm not saying everyone should do this, but you probably should.

I agree, good tip Jerry. I must admit I carry an emery board in my pocket in case a

nail gets a jagged edge. It's so easy to tear the nail if it isn't smooth, and it takes

a few days at least to grow it back.

As has been said, it takes practice. Play slow until you can travis pick in your sleep, while

watching TV or talking to the wife.

Here's a little motivator to keep you going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUWVlWCtFU

Ahh.. That sounds good Jerry.. I'll give that a try, i thought the nails should be longer (how wrong i was) what picking

pattern should i start with?

I agree, good tip Jerry. I must admit I carry an emery board in my pocket in case a

nail gets a jagged edge. It's so easy to tear the nail if it isn't smooth, and it takes

a few days at least to grow it back.

As has been said, it takes practice. Play slow until you can travis pick in your sleep, while

watching TV or talking to the wife.

Here's a little motivator to keep you going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUWVlWCtFU

Thats it buddy.. excellent !!

Ahh.. That sounds good Jerry.. I'll give that a try, i thought the nails should be longer (how wrong i was) what picking

pattern should i start with?

I don't know what the best way to go is but I will share what I did.

Index = 1

middle = 2

ring = 3

thumb = T

T123

T321

T,1,2&3,1

etc.

Once that feels more natural, try alternating bass. Lots of places on the internet and youtube for beginning fingerpicking. In the beginning I anchored my pinky. Later that seemed very limiting and not conducive to a relaxed right hand, so I switched to mostly floating free.

Be patient. Some people pick these things up just like that. For me, like a lot of people, it has been a slow, laborious affair, involving countless hours of practice, especially in the beginning where you get through all sorts of strength and coordination issues.

Play with conviction. Don't hold back. Don't settle. When you can't do something, isolate the smallest portion of the piece with that in it and do it over and over until you can do it with conviction.

Be patient. Some people pick these things up just like that. For me, like a lot of people, it has been a slow, laborious affair, involving countless hours of practice, especially in the beginning where you get through all sorts of strength and coordination issues.

Play with conviction. Don't hold back. Don't settle. When you can't do something, isolate the smallest portion of the piece with that in it and do it over and over until you can do it with conviction.

And stop chewing those goddamn nails !

All good sound advice guys.. Thank You [thumbup]

My friend. I am in my late 40's. I have been playing with a pick since I was 14. I never took a lesson and I still don't read music. I go by ear.

Last year I decided I wanted to learn to fingerpick. For six months I tried and tried. Folks said keep at it, and it will just turn on. Bang. One day, perhaps a few months ago, it did turn on. My thumb started getting its own personality and acting independently from its gnarly relatives.

Stay with it. It will turn on. And now that I just started to see improvement, I am more dedicated to getting better. Keep the faith brother. And play with friends if you can. It helps.

Good advice from all, keep working...then work some more.

After years of trying to grow or manufacture nails I'm also in the no-nails camp. Now I prefer the sound when I play without nails, if they start getting too long I clip 'em.

But I like the sound of others who use nails. I saw Harvey Reid at a festival a couple weeks ago and he used acrylics. Sounded great.

My friend. I am in my late 40's. I have been playing with a pick since I was 14. I never took a lesson and I still don't read music. I go by ear.

Last year I decided I wanted to learn to fingerpick. For six months I tried and tried. Folks said keep at it, and it will just turn on. Bang. One day, perhaps a few months ago, it did turn on. My thumb started getting its own personality and acting independently from its gnarly relatives.

Stay with it. It will turn on. And now that I just started to see improvement, I am more dedicated to getting better. Keep the faith brother. And play with friends if you can. It helps.

I sure are going to try my best.. i play little picking patterns from the records ive known for years, like the Moody Blues

"The Actor" from the LP "In search of the lost cord" i find that easy enough to master, but i need to progress further somehow..

Good advice from all, keep working...then work some more.

After years of trying to grow or manufacture nails I'm also in the no-nails camp. Now I prefer the sound when I play without nails, if they start getting too long I clip 'em.

But I like the sound of others who use nails. I saw Harvey Reid at a festival a couple weeks ago and he used acrylics. Sounded great.

Ah yes, i know what you mean.. i like Donovan for that, he's so clear & clean sounding!

At fingerstyle guitar.. [confused] everyone else can do it why cant i.. :rolleyes:

for a start i bite my fingernails, and when i grow them there so weak, oh yeah, ive tried the false glue on ones

and they feel like lumps of wood on the end of my fingers? i cant get on with the plasic or metal 'push on' things either?

What can i do? grow my nails and dab poison on them to stop me biting em ! [scared]

There's so many of Petes stuff that i want to play where he uses fingerstyle, and me strumming it just dont cut it!!

"I'm One" "Drowned" ect..

Can anyone help me!! where do i start? can you recommend a good fingerstyle course i can get to help me?

Thanks in advance...

Well.....

Nails or no nails - whatever works!

As far as fingerpicking courses - there are plenty to choose from at Stefan Grossman Guitar Workshop - read his 'learning process' page below, buy some of his beginner fingerpicking DVDs (and I mean beginner because even those are quite challenging, then get to it because it may take a few minutes msp_crying.gif:

http://www.guitarvideos.com/the-learning-process

BluesKing777.

Twznd, I strongly suggest you consider getting a classical guitar. Nylon strings and a wider nut, plus a smaller body make the learning curve shallower. You can get a cheap one for a hundred bucks and put your steel string in hibernation until Spring. You don't need nails to get a ring out of the nylon with your nails. The strings are fatter, so you can feel them better.

Play open chords, don't mess with complicated ones or hammering or sliding until your right hand, left hand and brain are all in synch.

Try this pattern: T3 / 1; T3 / 2. It's a 4quarter time standard. Pluck the thumb and third finger together, then the 1st finger. Then pluck the thumb and third finger together and then the second. Keep 1st finger on the 3 rd string, second finger on the secon and third finger on the first string. Thumb can alternate between the 4th, 5th and 6th strings. Gl'luck!

everyone else can do it why cant i..

Far from anyone can do it - only the blessed

many are tryers - then there's the rest

You talk about the clear sound of Donovan. Yes I like it too, but don't forget he was an adjustable bridge/ceramic-saddle man.

This one by his colleague always impressed me - what a claw job.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wpAqDLWstWE

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wpAqDLWstWE

Excellent advice there from Jerry

I am constantly ripping my nails...tried the false ones...man what a feck on...just aint got the time to be ffing about with them

so just as Jerry says..I now also have an emery board handy at all times...as soon as i feeel a lil nick...out it comes and u file away untill u cant feel nothing gonna get caught and rip ya nail.. short n sweet is the only way for me.

I have used fingers to play guitar since i first started really... it just felt more natural

and it took a loooong time until I was proficient... I started using thumb for E A and D strings and next three fingers for each of the treble strings... now i can switch between using thumb and 3...thumb n 2 thumb n 1

of just thumb..OR just index for strumming ect

Awhen you get to a certain level..you dont have to think..and you can use any finger for any string

A good piece of advice from a jazz player was...you need to0 be able to feel the guiat..FEEL it in your hands

just keep going my man... and depending on what music you like

I learnt from a Robert Johnson book...as a lot of his songs are basically the same..same shapes ect..and this is a fine way to not have to worry about ur left hand so much.

EDIT

saying all that...i played with no nails for many years...so you dont have to have them

Playing most instruments takes a LOT of practice and patience and you develop muscle-memory. I learned cello, trumpet then the guitar in my early teens. I had the help of my father who was a semi pro musician so played all the time at home. Playing in bands was a great help. Then I stopped playing for a very long time but started again a few years ago. It is harder relearning than the initial learning as the brain does not grasp things so quickly.

But I have two very important tools - patience and determination. My music tastes have also changed and I really need to master the acoustic and picking.

There has been some very good advice on this thread so don't give up. Bit at a time. Rome wasn't built in a day; but it was built.

Bob

Archived