Gibson Brands Forums

How addicted to Les Pauls are you?

Bram

Ok...

I've played Strats, Tele's and so on, but I'm always keep coming back to my Les Pauls. To be honest I can't ever get fully used to a Strat or Tele, apart from the playability which is something you always can get used to (to my opinion).

After gigging/playing with a Strat or Tele I always miss my Les Pauls...I can't get used to the single volume knop on Strats or Tele's (it makes me really crazy). On Les Pauls I always use both volume knobs for rythm and lead, without ever having problems. The output is perfect, the sustain is perfect, the tone is perfect, the playability is perfect; just everything on a les Paul works so well through the set-up I'm used to + my style of playing. Everything seems to go automatically.

I guess I'm really addicted to les Pauls, not only for looks or feel, but they just perform in the right way...on stage or at home, they never disappoint me.

So, how do you feel about Les Pauls in general?

I had an Epi SG that I traded for an Epi Les Paul. It was a very very better guitar in any aspect you could think of. A better tone, a better craftmanship (you guys already know the epi quality control) a better playability and a very better body balance. Looked more solid as well.

The only problem i had was that I kept dreaming that I entered the store, stole the SG back and left my LP there. Or that I bumped some guy on the street who had a SG and I told the guy to change it, but the guy refused, so I punched his face and forced him to do the deal.

But I love Les Pauls, really. I think the Tele is my most beloved guitar - if I have a most beloved guitar in general. But I really think that when it comes to luthierie (is that a word?), design and craftsmanship the LPs are creme de la creme. They are like perfect. The tele and the strat were revolutions in almost every aspect - bolt neck, tone, playability, design. But the LP was the luthier revolution. A froundbreaking guitar that were built following a tradition. I can't expalin it in english.

I don't know what drives me to the SG, though.

I own the only LP I've ever picked up, played, and didn't put down in disappointment. I waited 13 years for the owner to decide to sell it to me, and it sings.

But I don't love Les Pauls. Most of 'em sound muddy, and are purchased as male jewelry rather than players. Mine is a real road warrior, and with it I found my voice on electric.

Addicted? To music, yes; to Les Pauls, no.

Addicted? To music' date=' yes; to Les Pauls, no.[/quote']

You got me thinking, now.

I may be 20, but I played several guitars (much more than I could count) and I remember all those who were important to me. Not only those I owned, of course, but all those that really made me feel great. I love LPs. I won't say i'm addicted to Les Pauls though.

I'm addicted to GUITARS (solid, eletric, acoustic...) and I think I might need help. Every good guitar GAS me out of my non-profit feet. Be it a Jaguar, a Gretsch a LP, a Martin, a Taylor. You name it.

I friggin LOVE guitars.

You got me thinking' date=' now.

I may be 20, but I played several guitars (much more than I could count) and I remember all those who were important to me. Not only those I owned, of course, but all those that really made me feel great. I love LPs. I won't say i'm addicted to Les Pauls though.

I'm addicted to GUITARS (solid, eletric, acoustic...) and I think I might need help. Every good guitar GAS me out of my non-profit feet. Be it a Jaguar, a Gretsch a LP, a Martin, a Taylor. You name it.

I friggin LOVE guitars.[/quote']

Haha. I recently bought #31 (a Gibson SG). Luckily for my space requirements, only 10 are current: the LP, a 335, the new SG, my first flat top, a custom made flamed maple flat top, three Fender Precisions of differing flavors, an '80s Dobro and a '30s Regal.

All get played, all the time. I keep several projects going so I keep my electric guitar chops, my bass chops, my harmonica chops, and of course my Dobro chops up....

Yes, I am addicted to Gibson Les Pauls. To guitars in general, but mostly Les Pauls. You f$ers have caused most of it too! *Gesturing* I won't forgive you for it soon. I want a damn RI or a Custom so bad right now that I'm trying to figure out how (everyday) to do so without starting mega Shiot Storm, scouring me from the planet, never to be heard from again!

I could name you 15 different guitars I want, and at least 10 are LPs. Really all would be if money was no issue. Who knows, I may even be schizophrenic. :D

my les paul's tend to kick my tele's *** in any situation other then wanting to have that weak tang sound out of my more traditional tele... Both of which i got before my Real Les Paul... Not to say my 03 LP MM isn't one sick p-90 guitar for ones first new out of the box guitar... Most every guitar on my wish list is a Les Paul variant right now... i'd say VERY ADDICTED... and do Jack Cassidy basses equal into the Les Paul addiction? because the Les Paul Signature and it's modern recreation are pretty sick instruments in their own right from my experience...

Not addicted at all; I own just one Les Paul that I bought in 1992 and it's a real killer so I don't feel a need to buy any more of them. Mostly, I just grab whichever guitar I think is going to work best for the song or whatever I'm in the mood for.

I think I know what you mean and yes, I'm addicted. Although I only own one LP, I definately prefer to play it more than my others. In fact, since I've purchased it, no other guitar feel right to me.

Even when I look at other guitars in stores or online, I always find myself spending the most time admiring the Les Pauls over all others.

Not addicted at all; I own just one Les Paul that I bought in 1992 and it's a real killer so I don't feel a need to buy any more of them. Mostly' date=' I just grab whichever guitar I think is going to work best for the song or whatever I'm in the mood for.[/quote']

Almost ditto. Got my Les Paul this year, though.

I have been playing for 30+ years and for all but the last 3 it was acoustic. For all those years I had an image of the greatest electrics. Les Paul was that guitar that had been burned in to my neurons. I had played one when I was about 14. The weight the feel. I admit at that time I knew nothing about the quality of the sound. When I decided it was time to put down the acoustic I started with a lesser electric due to the cost of the LPs'. I drove my wife crazy about getting an LP until she finally kicked me in the *** and told me to go get one. The first one I played was a Studio. I hated the feel. It was to light. It didn't feel like that one I remembered. So I put off looking for a new guitar for another 6 months. It was then while on a visit to the Guitar Ctr of Indianapolis that I decided to give the LPs' another chance. I didn't know a Standard from a custom. I did know that Jimmy Page played a standard and so I thought I should check one of those out. Yeah it still felt a bit light (chambered) but the sound was great. I played every kind of LP they had. They hated me at the GC. For the next 3 months I read everything I could about electric guitars. I became very adept at identifying types of LPs', their general characteristics, and what you could expect from the different models. Eventually on the day after my birthday I went to the GC and got the Gibson LP Standard in the desert burst. Absolutely no regrets. My wife says I play totally different then I used to (in a good way). Three months later I got another Gibson. This one was more of a wall hanger. It is a 1st edition Robot.

My next one will probably be a Telecaster. I think that LP STandard/ American standard Tele combination just can't be beat.

So to answer the original Question I was 14 when I became addicted. I didn't get my addiction fix until I was in my 40s'.

I'm addicted to Les Pauls. I don't know what it is with me and some others I know...... but it seems I can't own just one. I like all the different models and colors.

So I have 3 Gibson LPs and 7 Epiphone LPs and I play/gig them all regularly.

I'd have 500 Les Pauls if I had the money.

Hi' date=' my name is Joe and I'm a Paulaholic. I own 3 Les Pauls and a few other Gibson guitars, but It's the Les Paul I need the most. I wish I could afford to buy a new one every month. It all started 30 years ago when I was just a boy and...[/quote']

Hi Joe (thousands of voices in harmony), I'm a Paulaholic too. Bitten by the bug nearly 30 years ago, but was only able to cure it within the last year (bought 3, sold 1). This is a disease I don't want to be cured from.

Archived