Gibson Brands Forums

How addicted to Les Pauls are you?

Bram

I own a number of guitars - good ones - and have owned that many more in the past, in my quest for tone - the LP is what I keep coming back to. It is the best made, best tone, best feel, what else can be said. It is the best guitar in the world. Period.

I'm addicted to Les Pauls. I don't know what it is with me and some others I know...... but it seems I can't own just one. I like all the different models and colors.

So I have 3 Gibson LPs and 7 Epiphone LPs and I play/gig them all regularly.

I'd have 500 Les Pauls if I had the money.

I've got the same pretty disease! I've started with a Gibson LP cherry sunburst at 15, back in '79 with my first band; sold it, played a bunch of other guitars afterwards and I'm ending up now with a LP vintage sunburst...I'd have 500 Les Pauls if...

Hi' date=' my name is Joe and I'm a Paulaholic. ...snip...[/quote']

Hi Joe (thousands of voices in harmony)' date=' I'm a Paulaholic too. Bitten by the bug nearly 30 years ago, ...snip...[/quote']

I'm a Paulaholic, too. Bug bit me ~1971 IIRC. 15 years of marriage ](*,) to someone who was more selfish than I, didn't kill it. 10 years of raising sons as a single dad hasn't killed it, either. If anything, I'm still "suffering" but I can maintain, knowing that there are fellow addicts like me out there....

And now I've found my Holy Grail.

The Les being the SLEDGE HAMMER...

I tend to think of it as a Swiss Army Knife, capable of whatever I need it to do.... Maybe it has a Sledge on the other end, when I turn up the volume? :-s

I started out on an Fender Mexican Strat and then upgraded to an American Strat which was my favorite. Last year I started experimenting with the Les Paul in my local Guitar Center. I ended up purchasing a Les Paul Studio in February of 2008 and I found that I loved the Les Paul for lead sounds. So I used the Strat for Rhythm and LP for lead stuff in the studio and for live playing. About a month ago I purchased my new Gibson LP Classic with the 1960's slim neck profile. This is the best feeling, sounding guitar I have ever played. Cannot put it down! I always look forward to playing. Tried to go back and jam on my Strat but it's not the same. Right now, my Gibson LP Classic rules!

- Frank

I really like my LP and it just seems the neck works a little better than the others for me. It is heavy, and access to the upper registers is easier on a few of my other guitars but the LP just has a feel that works for me. It sounds good enough with the stock pups. I am not addicted in that I also like others, and do not feel a need for another...except maybe a '56 Goldtop. I wish mine was an Ice Tea colour with a nice flamed top though. I wouldn't be one to start a collection of them.

I'm more addicted to the feel of my latest les paul, an R6. I started with an 80's japanese strat with a floyd rose (or schaller?) whammy bar... Never liked that one. Got a Les Paul Studio and thought that was it, but humbuckers aren't really my thing (I love them, but the music I play makes single coils a better choice)..

Tested a lot of diffrent guitars, but the R6 was really the guitar for me. Never thought my hands would fit for the thick neck.. But that's just it, I love the neck and after playing it for a while most of my other guitars feel kinda alien to me.

So to the conclusion, addicted to Les Pauls. Not in general, but to this guitar in particular then HELL YES

I have the same LP I've played for 20 years, it's my #1 guitar.

I don't need annother LP, because anything else would be #2 ,#3 ...ect..

when you look at the great LP players they all had their #1,,yes they had backups but it was #1 that made them happy and helped create their vibe.

so yes I guess I'm addicted but I don't need an arsenal of showpieces to be happy, thats an obsession.

Archived