Gibson Brands Forums

How old are you Hound dogs????

onewilyfool

I recently read a quote attributed to Victor Hugo, along the lines of: "Your forties are the old age of your childhood; your fifties are the childhood of your old age."

Works for me...

Ha! Works for me too, and I'm probably going to use that quote one of these days. Good stuff!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as some of you know..I am but a pup..at the ripe old age of 40 ish..i cant remeber exactly..;)

hehe..well im 41... but of course...I feel like im 21...sometimes..!!!

and sometimes...i csan feel like im 1 bleedin hundred...ppl think this music lark..is just that

a lark

but as we know..its bleedin hard werk...and a lark too :D

I like Billy Crystal's comment this morning on TV.

"At 60 I can do anything I did at thirty.

I just can't remember what I did."

I think he's 65 now.

or Robin Williams' "if you remember the 1960s you really were not there."

But the one that rings most true is "if I knew I was going to hang around this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

I like Billy Crystal's comment this morning on TV.

"At 60 I can do anything I did at thirty.

I just can't remember what I did."

I think he's 65 now.

Getting over 50 has opened up all kinds of things for me. I can watch movies again after a year or less and it's just like seeing it new. Not any of the old classics as much, just the new crap. Maybe it isn't my memory at all, just thin story line movies. [biggrin]

Aster

The other night a friend of mine noted that you know you are old when you sit around comparing arrest records and FBI files to see who can claim the bragging rights for mine is bigger than yours.

Fortunately, the statute of limitations has run out on all of my youthful crimes and misdemeanors. I'll be 67 my next birthday. Some days I feel 30, some days I feel like I'm 80....

Not sure if it's good or bad that I work with a lot of young folks. In fact, when I look around in my professional game, there's only a couple of guys my age still playing, all in management roles, of course..

I get jealous of those who lived through the early 60s during the folk/blues revival. Did any of you guys get to see Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Skip James, Rev. Gary Davis, etc play live?

No but I saw Doc Watson, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee, Modern Jazz quartet, David Bromberg, Van Morrison, 5th Dimension, Beach Boys, Bob Dylan.....a lot of great music!!! I also some some local Montreal boys and girls, who were exceptional, but never hit the big time. The 60's was a great great time for music......as I remember it....I think I was there.......

56, heading for 57 in about a half year.

right now, -- for me,, age? it's just a number, I'm ignoring most of it, and continuing on with life as I've always known it...

I'm pretty healthy, not on any meds beyond acid reflux, and I stay pretty active, so I'm relatively fit.

I don't smoke, but I do like a few beers or cocktails..

I can't say I would like to or could run a marathon, but, with the amount of miles I run a week, I bet I could do a half with a little focus and determination.

btw.. seems from the poll, that the 55-60 age group does dominate (by a small degree) the forum,, I found that interesting,

I get jealous of those who lived through the early 60s during the folk/blues revival. Did any of you guys get to see Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Skip James, Rev. Gary Davis, etc play live?

I am one of those lucky dogs who managed to grab a few lessons with Rev. Davis and one impromptu lesson with Skip James who was living in Philly at the time.

I'm guessing that I am the elder statesman of this group at 67 (going on 30)

[scared]

Not even close. I turned 70 in March. I have been in the music business since 1958. Hell I have socks older than you Young Fred. Just to make things clear I have a 1943 skunk stripe Banner J-45 that is pictured on page 58 of the Fabulous Flat-top Book. For those of you that have poor math skills 1943 is my birth year.Eldon gave the guitar to me as a thank you for a project we both worked on.

As George Burns said,"you are only as old as the girl you feel".

The old age median would explain why this forum is getting increasingly boring, as are the polls as well. Will the next poll have to do with regular bowel movements. [biggrin]

...and yes I am a boomer as well, but acknowledge my mental and physical age.

(said like a true old person, right?)

The old age median would explain why this forum is getting increasingly boring, as are the polls as well. Will the next poll have to do with regular bowel movements. [biggrin]

...and yes I am a boomer as well, but acknowledge my mental and physical age.

(said like a true old person, right?)

In all fairness, it's not a discussion of quantum physics, so the subject matter dead ends eventually. I'm ready for the bowel movement thread though...anytime.

No way! what was that like??

A friend's father who I guess had something to do with booking shows arranged for us to meet Skip James. He scared the crap out of me. I got the feeling Skip was sick and tired of white kids coming around trying to learn the secret of the blues. Rev. Davis was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. I remember catching hell for stealing a box of my grandfather's cigars to give him in addition to the $5 for the lessons. I will always regret that I did not continue learning from him. But it was quite a schlep getting from where we lived down to his house in Queens. I still wonder what kind of guitar player I would be today had I kept on with it.

I also had the opportunity to work for Lee Hays. Lee was the bass singer with the Weavers. It wasn't much of a job - pretty much just keeping him company. But I got to listen to his stories about Woody Guthrie and Cisco Houston and folks like Pete Seeger, Brownie McGhee and Arlo Guthrie would drop by. Plus he also was able to get me any record on the Vanguard label for free.

Archived