Gibson Brands Forums

Anybody Else Do Temporary Swaps

zombywoof

There are certain folks I totally trust with my guitars and on occasion will do a temporary swap - they take one of mine and I take one of theirs. It is a good way to get some time under your belt with something different and helps with the learning process.

My latest swap venture though involved two very similar guitars. I took a friend's 1947 LG-2 and he took my 1946 LG-2. The first thing is there is an unwritten law which says the other guys guitar sounds better. I am thinking it is more of having a different or new sound than better or worse but for whatever reason we tend to appraise in terms of better sounding. To my ears, the '47 is a bit brighter and more detailed sounding with more presence. I would say though my '46 has a deeper low end with more thump to it and more saturated mids. The one thing that is hard not to notice is that the '47 seems to be made with better quality wood. The top shows far more silking while the body is made with very highly figured mahogany. This '47 actually has a bit of a local reputation for being an outstanding playing and sounding example of an LG-2.

Based on this limited experience though it seems the reputation the early block letter logo Gibsons enjoy is well deserved.

Unfortunately it seems that none of my friends have any guitars I want to borrow.

I have loaned out my guitars for a year or two to friends that I totaly trust.

About three years ago I loaned one out to a friend who was going out on tour.

When he got back I had to sell it to him because he did not want to give it up.

Again, always happy to lend my guitars to people I trust. Just got one of my Fyldes back after a year or so out on loan, and my ES-355 has been on more tours than I have since I bought it. I'd just rather they were being played than sat in my spare room gathering dust.

A couple of years ago I set up a studio which is shared between myself and a couple of others, and all but the most valuable of my guitars are now kept over there. I have no concerns about other people using them.

I don't really borrow guitars myself as I feel like I have all my bases covered, but I do often borrow mics and recording equipment if I have a need for a specific project.

I, too, loan out guitars for months at a time. My 1936 L-Century, 1943 Banner L-50, and 1943 Banner LG-1 are out on loan and won't return for a good, long while, when the possessors will trade them for another of my guitars.

A friend of mine and I trade very now and then for the same purpose as you zomby never had an issue. We both love the same kind of guitars and we play together quite frequently. We have also traded on occasion as well.

He's flying to do vocals for his album in Ontario next week and I'm gonna be babysitting his newly aquired J45 legend.

Somehow this whole notion terrifies me. I rarely even feel comfortable playing someone else's guitar, let alone leaving the premises with it. Remember that 'Lil Abner cartoon character that always had a rain cloud hovering over his head? I believe that character was modeled after me. Likewise on loaning mine out, too many disasters unknown waiting to happen.

Somehow this whole notion terrifies me. I rarely even feel comfortable playing someone else's guitar, let alone leaving the premises with it. Remember that 'Lil Abner cartoon character that always had a rain cloud hovering over his head? I believe that character was modeled after me. Likewise on loaning mine out, too many disasters unknown waiting to happen.

I think that character's name was "Sleprock".

That is a perfect looking guitar. Not sure I could ever let my numbnut friends borrow such an instrument. I can't even let them borrow a magazine without them losing it or tearing the cover off of folding it and getting coffee stains. There's a reason most of them play crap brand guitars.

Dan,

My stipulation is that the borrower treat the guitar as his or her own and if something happens to it, that's OK. I've had professional musician friends take my incredibly rare Larsons on the road. Not much has ever happened to the guitars and I get great satisfaction knowing that they are out there making music.

Ah, yes. The Brotherhood of the Traveling Axe. My friends and I also subscribe to this. Whether it be a flat top guitar, the Ramirez, the loop station, the Line6 Pod XT Live, or the homeless 1920's Slingerland banjo. The only requirement is that it's getting played.

... and I'm gonna be babysitting his newly aquired J45 legend.

So I hope you'll be able to give us your thoughts when you compare it to the 1950 J-45 in your sig (?). :rolleyes:

Man, that guitar is in EXCELLENT condition! Did you have much work done on it?

Gotta break it to you - it looks better in the pic than up close and personal. This ain't no shed guitar. It was a one owner guitar and played long and hard. The bridge has been replaced and a pair of cracks off the pickguard repaired. The back of the neck is pretty scuffed up from a lot of years of having one of those old capos that looks like something from the Spanish Inquisition digging into it.

Gotta break it to you - it looks better in the pic than up close and personal. This ain't no shed guitar. It was a one owner guitar and played long and hard. The bridge has been replaced and a pair of cracks off the pickguard repaired. The back of the neck is pretty scuffed up from a lot of years of having one of those old capos that looks like something from the Spanish Inquisition digging into it.

In other words, the PERFECT amount of MOJO!!!

Archived