Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Warranty Certificate?

Lefty55

Just want to know if Gibson sends any kind of certificate or confirmation after you register your new guitar.

I registered my new J200 warranty a couple of weeks ago online. I have not heard back from them yet. I know with a new Martin guitar within a few days of registration you receive all your warranty info in the mail. Wondering how Gibson does it.

When I registered mine via the internet, I always received an e mail back from Gibson confirming the registration.

Ditto, in fact, I received the verification almost immediately. Said to keep my original receipt along with the confirmation.

I have registered two Gibsons by mail and received confirmation letters in the mail. Two to three weeks seems like what it took. I registered my latest Martin by mail and nothing happened. It took a couple of emails and filling out the form online to get it done.

I have registered online, and received email confirmation. But I keep my receipt showing I bought it from an authorized Gibson dealer. I also keep a photocopy in a safe place. In the final analysis the receipt is what you need for the Gibson warranty.

The Gibson warranty (for us on this side of the pond) isn't the best, it's usually a dealer warranty you have in reality and if anything turns to mince they handle the warranty issues or they refer you to Gibson... that's how it was in my case, unregistered guitar sent by dealer back to Gibson, Gibson destroyed my guitar and sent me a new one....

I've never registered any of mine.

Warranty laws vary from state to state. Here in Alabama, it isn't necessary to register. If a warranty comes with the guitar, then the buyer isn't required to do anything other than buy the guitar. A receipt as proof of purchase is all that is required and the maker must honor the warranty. Look into the laws in your state.

The Gibson warranty (for us on this side of the pond) isn't the best, it's usually a dealer warranty you have in reality and if anything turns to mince they handle the warranty issues or they refer you to Gibson... that's how it was in my case, unregistered guitar sent by dealer back to Gibson, Gibson destroyed my guitar and sent me a new one....

I've never registered any of mine.

I agree on a couple of points.

Outside the U.S I don't think the Life Time Warranty is valid... it all comes down to the dealer whom the guitar was purchased from. Although saying that when I had a problem with my first HB TV I was contacted by Gibson through these pages. I was asked if I had registered the guitar... so I think it is a good idea to register it..online of course , being in Europe.

i have registered 3 now and always receive an email saying it has been successful.

As I say ..outside America it can get a little unclear as to where exactly you stand on the lifetime guarantee, but I have faith Gibson would do all they could to remedy a serious manufacturing fault that befell a guitar outside the standard 12 month warranty we get from European dealers.

Saying that ...I can't really see that many things/ faults that one could discover in a guitar more than 12 months from original purchase... except something like a neck reset....which I don't think Gibson would cover anyway ( due to many factors ) unless it was diagnosed soon after purchase..

And the store where I bought the first HB TV..was told to chop the head stock off...and Bozeman sent me a new one :)

I agree on a couple of points.

Outside the U.S I don't think the Life Time Warranty is valid... it all comes down to the dealer whom the guitar was purchased from. Although saying that when I had a problem with my first HB TV I was contacted by Gibson through these pages. I was asked if I had registered the guitar... so I think it is a good idea to register it..online of course , being in Europe.

i have registered 3 now and always receive an email saying it has been successful.

As I say ..outside America it can get a little unclear as to where exactly you stand on the lifetime guarantee, but I have faith Gibson would do all they could to remedy a serious manufacturing fault that befell a guitar outside the standard 12 month warranty we get from European dealers.

Saying that ...I can't really see that many things/ faults that one could discover in a guitar more than 12 months from original purchase... except something like a neck reset....which I don't think Gibson would cover anyway ( due to many factors ) unless it was diagnosed soon after purchase..

And the store where I bought the first HB TV..was told to chop the head stock off...and Bozeman sent me a new one :)

What was wrong with your hummingbird del? Think you were just receiving the new one when I joined this forum .

(And where is it now?)

What was wrong with your hummingbird del? Think you were just receiving the new one when I joined this forum .

(And where is it now?)

The neck was slightly off on it BBG... and the binding on the neck could be felt with your finger tips..instead of being totally flush and smooth...

I must say with out the help of Gibson through these pages ..I may not of gotten my replacement TV...

and as to her where about now... who knows ?...these exotic birds can be mysterious and shy..I hope to one day catch her again

and if I do I'll let you know

'Slightly off' as in couldn't get low action ? or twisted ?

And did it change after you got home ? Or did you not notice it when you bought it ?

Lucky you were on this site , I'd hate to have to deal with issues like that with a shop.

By slightly off..I mean the neck was set at an angle where the high E string would slide off the edge of the fret..and it got worse the higher up the neck... toward the headstock

It had been in the store for 3 to 4 years...so i think they may have guessed there was a problem with it...as every other HB TV they had would sell.

The store where as helpful as can be...I had to drive to Dublin to return it..but on the phone when I called to say there was a propblem..immediately to asked me to return it and they would get a new one..

The problem with getting the new one was a mix up with Gibson Customer Services and order / shipping numbers...and actual name of the HB TV changing...

I beleive the had changed the order to HB TV Modern...sumthing...anyway the store thought they had ordered me one..and a Standard arrived...... which one young fellow from my store was trying to give me as a replacement over the telephone.

many members advised me to not take it...I wouldn't have anyway...then the store told me Gibon no longer even produced the HB TV anymore... by this time the price I payed ..to order from another store in Europe..had risen about 500 Euro

and after 2 dayy on the internet...there was only about 3 or 4 left..it seemed... available to order online , in the whole of Europe !!!!

I was gutted...then a fine Gibson Bozeman employee..Mr Morten contacted me personaly...and told me they would get it sorted :)

all in all had to wait 4 to 5 months for the replacement... so it was a good learning curve... check...and check again a guitar before ya buy it ...if your not close to the dealer.

i knew there was sumthing not quite right with it in the store...but I also feel you need a good few days with a guitar to know if its right for you.....amazingly..in the store I did not even notice the binding was producing a lip on the neck... I was almost going to keep her

which I now realize would have been a massive mistake !!!!..I mean the neck was 10ths of a millimeter off...I thought that this is how maybe the HB TV necks where..and my fingering was not exact enough... I now realize...the neck was off !!!

Alll worked out in the end

I cant help it..if I'm lucky ;)

This is a little aside....but.... I had a Gibson Firebird, I got it used, and it didn't come with the official "Certificate of Authenticity" . I phoned Bozeman, and talked to someone Named "LaVonne" who got me a new one, signed by Ren.....She was really a sweetheart to work with.....Is she still there?

Archived