Gibson Brands Forums

Is the a way to spot fake 57 classic pickups.

abilbay

I am wanting to buy some used 57 Classic pickups, but don't want to get ripped off. I can't afford new ones so I have been looking on Craigslist and have seen some at good prices. I have been afraid of buying them used because I don't want any fakes. Is there a way to tell the real ones form fakes just by looking and close examination?

1378782509[/url]' post='1423432']

I am wanting to buy some used 57 Classic pickups, but don't want to get ripped off. I can't afford new ones so I have been looking on Craigslist and have seen some at good prices. I have been afraid of buying them used because I don't want any fakes. Is there a way to tell the real ones form fakes just by looking and close examination?

Yes but it helps if the covers are not on. It would involve looking at all the various components and measuring the assistance of the windings. My advice to you is to try and find as many pictures of these types of pick ups as you can and get very familiar with them first.

If it's an older set (pre 2000ish) it will have a brass baseplate with a retro looking "Gibson" engraved. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as it is branded Gibson or has a sticker reading "Patent Applied For" you should be fine. Pickups aren't commonly faked.

Archived