Gibson Brands Forums

"To pick guard or not to pick guard........that is the question !!!"

Graham_H

On.

I use it as a rest/anchor point for my picking hand most of the time.

I have tried it 'off' just out of curiosity but found my right wrist became tired after a very short time because of the break-angle I had to employ.

Pretty much everyone is fed up looking at my pics, Graham, but as you've joined recently new here's a link from a couple of months ago. Mine are in post #3.

http://forum.gibson....-on-a-nice-day/

1993 R9 HCSB; 1995 R0 'Ginger-Burst'; 1991 '1960 Classic' VSB; 1995 '1960 Classic' HB

P.

I have the pick guard on my alpine white LP studio. When I purchased the guiar the pick guard was already installed. I like the look of the black on white and it is more comfortable for me to play with the PG on. If I had a flame top i would probably want to have the pick guard off to show off the top.

I don't have a Les Paul, but I did once. It was cream with a black pick guard. I couldn't have imagined it without it.

I am pro-pick guard, in general. I recently added a custom-made pg to an SG that came without one (see avatar to the left).

It's all subjective, but I think the contrast between a guitar's finish and a pick guard creates a more complete look.

On.

I use it as a rest/anchor point for my picking hand most of the time.

Same here.

I tend to play as many jazz archtop players do - most of the time over the top of the neck pickup and like to rest my right hand (pinkie usually)on the pickguard. I fit a pickguard to every Gibson / Epiphone guitar I have. To me the guitar is naked and uncomfortable without it.

Pickguards including screws came as stock accessories with my Gibson USA Std Quilt K and Std 2012. I left them off and put them on the shelf.

My Gibson Custom Alex Lifeson Axcess and Std Figured came without as well as my Epiphone Tribute Plus.

Sadly, the Gibson USA Traditional 2013 came with a pickguard mounted to it. One can't undrill holes, the nut's imprint is on the top finish, and so the damage is done [sad]

I hate LP pickguards. They cover most of the beautiful top of the guitar and just make your guitar look and feel "wrong". I guess that is the best way I can describe it. Also, I use the bridge as my anchor point when playing for easy palm mutes and it also makes solid anchor point no matter what style of guitar I am playing Lp or other.

From my first Gibson in 1965 on all of them I've owned always had pickguards. I am strictly a flatpick player so they do save me scratching up the top. But as mentioned they require some holes in the guitar and once it's been on there for several years taking it off will leave discoloration etc. I tend to rest my picking hand on the bridge, but pickguards do prevent me from scratching the top.

My LP's had pg's. But I took the pg off my Trad Pro. (My avatar still shows it to be on though) The wife says, the pg makes it look like an old guitar that an old man would play. I told her it's a Traditional, it's supposed to. But, I like it without, now. I haven't played the Epi out in a while, but I think I'll take it's pg off to see what that silverburst looks like in full bloom.

I don't even scratch the pg when I play, so I don't think I'll scratch the top. I also sometimes put my hand on the top, below the bridge pu, or sometimes on the pu ring. I never do the same thing every time.

I don't worry about scratches or smudges. It's my guitar. I'm not messing it up, I'm adding Beauty Marks! (Got that from the wife) [lol]

My LP's had pg's. But I took the pg off my Trad Pro. (My avatar still shows it to be on though) The wife says, the pg makes it look like an old guitar that an old man would play. I told her it's a Traditional, it's supposed to. But, I like it without, now. I haven't played the Epi out in a while, but I think I'll take it's pg off to see what that silverburst looks like in full bloom.

I don't even scratch the pg when I play, so I don't think I'll scratch the top. I also sometimes put my hand on the top, below the bridge pu, or sometimes on the pu ring. I never do the same thing every time.

I don't worry about scratches or smudges. It's my guitar. I'm not messing it up, I'm adding Beauty Marks! (Got that from the wife) [lol]

[lol][lol][lol]

My new (used) Les Paul Studio in ebony looks a bit sparse without the pickguard...but it's a bit of ornamentation rather than any huge functional benefit.

When I eventually get a traditional or custom with a highly figured flame top I'd probably prefer it without the guard to show the top off. As far as I can tell so far the carve of the maple top means that my pick stays clear of the (unguarded) laquer most of the time anyway.

Archived