Gibson Brands Forums

Using an electric guitar amp

ParlourMan

First off, I know I'm probably singing to the wrong choir here, but does anyone use an electric guitar amp live?

background: I'm thinking of switching to one for live use. I see the Tallest man on Earth uses this and while his live tone may not be the 'purest acoustic tone ever heard by mankind' it does actually work (very well indeed) for what he's doing. To such an extent that it's pretty much what I'd like to be able to get going in my wee combo.

Anyone among us doing such 'atrocities' as well?

What's wrong with you dude ?

The wife has diagnosed it as 'proper mental' but she's not a qualified physician, so I'm not putting much weight behind it....

* I'm not talking distorted sounds like Wheatus or something thoroughly objectionable like that, more a cleaner sound like TTMOE live, check out his clips to see what I'm saying.

The acoustic guitarists haven't spent 250 trillion dollars buying 'acoustic' pickups and amps because their guitars sounded good in the Fender Twin.

I have mucked about a bit over the years and recently experimented with the POD modeller with acoustics and then into a tube amp...pretty good.

To go back a step - the j45 with Baggs straight into the tube amp is woeful sounding. The same setup through my Fishman Aura then to the tube amp was acceptable but something 'wrong' - you could do a gig with it in an emergency but not that enjoyable like a mic'd sound.

THEN.....

We played my beater Gibsung Hummer copy with my 50s DeArmond pickup through the tube amp - SMOKING! Gives a small touch of 50s style distortion - pre Jimi/Eric more like Muddy/Elmore even Lightnin' Hopkins?

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/200962042400

The modern soundhole pickup equivalent would PROBABLY be the Fishman BlackJack by the write ups.

BluesKing777.

On some Gear page I found for TTMOE, it says he's using an M1a and a Fender Twin silverface... with a space echo, on both live clips and in concert in the room this sounds totally wicked, like 5 jabs to the throat and a finisher to lower mid-section..... if you be knowing what I mean?

I use my little Vox practice amp with several of the acoustic guitar. It's 'fun', but far from ideal.

When I switch over to my old Crate acoustic amp, the warmness and depth of tone is immediately evident.

But Neil Young's "Downtown" doesn't sound the same on the Crate... [biggrin]

Fred

Not bad at all... [thumbup]

So far a Laney Prism and a Roland Cube... [thumbup]

Both amps have an 'acoustic' model which can be used with acoustic or electric guitars...

Acoustic amps and PA's have a broader frequency spread, so will potentially give a better sound... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

For a few months I owned a Fender Twin Reverb 15 Custom (single 15" speaker) and I played my Martin 000-18GE with an LR Baggs M1 passive in it. It was beautiful. Like you said the sound was not pure acoustic but it was better than any other amplification I had ever had or tried. I had to sell the amp because I didn't really need it and it broke my back every time I loaded it in the car. But I honestly regret selling it. It would have been great to keep it and use it once in a while.

If I had to play live I would buy one again.

Yeah..well..

you can get carried away with tryin for a pefect tone can't ya !

Unless ya bleedin gettin paid thousands a gig..ppl just dont really notice...and if ya getting paid 1000's then ya got a sound man to look after thgat..

i use a Peavy bandit 70 watt electric thrash amp.....but all i use it for is to basically hear me as a monitor...all my vocal ,and guitsr is really going thru the P.A..sometimes botth via the amp/ POD..Compressor

but i got sick of hawking stuff around....now vocal into P.A..guitar into amp..with the lowest setting valoume wise to ba able to haer me..mys elf..and the P.A does the rest

What ur after PM..is something differnt...but like i say...you can get carrieed away with gear...just work with what ya got..

Id love a twin face Fender or such...but man...i aint feckin Rockerfella

good look finding ya tone... but really unless ya really wanna an acoustic sound...going thru an amp is not the way to go

as we know its microphones..and i have gigged many a time using two sm58's a shitty lil desk.....and some half decent speakers !!!!!!

evryone seemed happy ;)

Ray Wylie Hubbard uses both an Acoustic Schertler amp that is linked to a K&K P/U, and then a Fender Super that is linked to a Dearmond Soundhole P/U and then blends them. I thought that was kinda cool. This is from his Facebook page:

"i play a 1943 gibson southern jumbo reissue or 58 southern jumbo with a 1949 j45 neck that tony nobles did the work on.

for open d or g i use a 62 j45 i got from charlies guitar in dallas. clay gave me a hell of a deal on cause it was beat up and gnarly but hey so am i.

i have tony put dearmonds on all my guitars behind the soundhole which i run into a tuner into a sexdrive into either a 63 fender super for big shows or a magnatone twilighter or now a magnatone lyric.

i also have a k&k acoustic pickup in the jumbos that i run into a tuner into a redeye direct box into a schertier acoustic amp with a 10'' speaker.

i run them both at the same time so i get a warm non quacky sound with the k&k and a nasty half assed gritty lightnin hopkins tone with the dearmond."

The tallest man on earth does have a , let's say, distinctive voice . his set up works very well , but I'm not sure that , just because it works for him, that it's a 'great' sound.

I hear ye's....

The main counter I would have goes as follows:

A- If I were a one-man setup I'd want as pure a tone as possible without having to go to mics and whatnot. So I understand the main concerns.

B- As I'm doing extra and counter rhythms plus the fiddly bits In my wee combo, I'd like to have a good countering sound to remove too much crossover in the sound space, if you know what I mean.

C- I do realise I could just use a clean electric

Just throwing ideas out there, ideally I'd like a more aggressive attack and whatnot. Not quite an electric but close... J-160e territory perhaps.

Maybe a play with nickel strings and see how it works.

I've other uses (and guitars) for the more traditional desired sound.

Ray Wylie Hubbard uses both an Acoustic Schertler amp that is linked to a K&K P/U, and then a Fender Super that is linked to a Dearmond Soundhole P/U and then blends them. I thought that was kinda cool. This is from his Facebook page:

"i play a 1943 gibson southern jumbo reissue or 58 southern jumbo with a 1949 j45 neck that tony nobles did the work on.

for open d or g i use a 62 j45 i got from charlies guitar in dallas. clay gave me a hell of a deal on cause it was beat up and gnarly but hey so am i.

i have tony put dearmonds on all my guitars behind the soundhole which i run into a tuner into a sexdrive into either a 63 fender super for big shows or a magnatone twilighter or now a magnatone lyric.

i also have a k&k acoustic pickup in the jumbos that i run into a tuner into a redeye direct box into a schertier acoustic amp with a 10'' speaker.

i run them both at the same time so i get a warm non quacky sound with the k&k and a nasty half assed gritty lightnin hopkins tone with the dearmond."

Ill have to check that out. Will get back to you...

While I really do love the pure untainted sound of fine acoustic guitars it's sometimes nice to try new things!

I have a Fender Super Champ XD (a tube amp w/digital amp models and effects) and I like to use the acoustic or jazz models with a touch of reverb or delay...

No, it doesn't sound authentic but I think it sounds pretty good.

After a few beers I might try the metal models--it might not sound good, but I bet it wakes the cat up. [rolleyes]

Archived