Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite rock song

grampa

The question has been asked here before. It's hard to pick just one but usually my answer would be "Memo From Turner" from the sound track of the movie "Performance" but everytime I turn on our Classic Rock station I hear one that vies for that honor. Today it was "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen. Not only does it rock but it's lyrics and attitude exemplify Rock. Get on your bike and ride!

I dunno...

I guess to me "the" piece that exemplifies "rock" would likely be "Johnny B Goode." Yeah, I like it and yeah I've played it a cupla thousand times but the real thing about it is that it's kinda a prototypical "this is rock and roll" piece. It's vocals on top of a guitar band and combines a bluesy sound with some overdrive both in the lead guitar "sound" as well as the rhythm.

Another point with it is that you can play the thing for almost any age group in the U.S. at least, and almost everybody will say that yeah, they recognize it as an old rock music piece and likely could point out a photo of Chuck Berry even if they couldn't remember his name off the top of their memory. Queen? I think not. And believe me, that comment has nothing to do with quality music.

But "favorite?"

I dunno that I can answer that. I've enjoyed playing a lotta "rock" of various sorts through until the summer of '79, but...

m

WAY too many, to list just ONE! And, for me, it changes, like the weather, here

in Kansas...Constantly!

There is one, though, that's been a constant, since the first time I ever heard it,

and that's "Cream's" Live version ("Wheels of Fire" album) of "Crossroads!" To this

day, I cannot listen to it, without "cranking it up," and (still) getting goose bumps!

The first time I ever heard it, I was driving from Denver, to Colorado Springs, in my

'65 Chevy Super Sport Impala...banging on the steering wheel, tears in my eyes, and

goose bumps, the entire song! It was a very emotional, moment, for me. As soon as

arrived, in the "Springs," I stopped at a music store, and bought that album!

CB

I don't think I can say there's ONE that stands out.

When my brain processed the question, the first song that came to mind was Deep Purple's Hiway Star..

that must mean something right?

anyway, that one always gets my blood pumpin...

The question has been asked here before. It's hard to pick just one but usually my answer would be "Memo From Turner" from the sound track of the movie "Performance" but everytime I turn on our Classic Rock station I hear one that vies for that honor. Today it was "Fat Bottom Girls" by Queen. Not only does it rock but it's lyrics and attitude exemplify Rock. Get on your bike and ride!

For me that's Eric Clapton's Let it Rain and with cream Cross roads.

I just don't know. I could go along with Milod on this, because Johnny B. Good had such an influence on me early on in my life. Still, other great songs from other genras of Rock are always there.

Take, "Let There Be Rock," from AC/DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3nEAmt5AZ8

Or Zeppelin's, "Rock and Roll".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Hb9ABpyts

Both are great songs.

My choice...Doobies...China Grove... its in my will to be played at my funeral (viewing)....quietly in the background.

Good choice! I've already told my wife NO VIEWING.....I don't need a funeral either, for that matter, but if she feels like she needs one, I'll be okay with it.....

lessee....that's probably a forum topic....what to play at your funeral? For me.....Lady Antebellum's "Long Gone"

I think it's impossible to narrow it down to one, but several come to mind.

Basically, anything by one Mr. C Berry, including Maybelline, Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B Goode (after all, Lennon said that rock n roll by any other name would be Chuck Berry)

Speaking of which, there's the Beatles cover of "Twist n Shout"

Bill Haley & the Comets Rock Around the Clock

Buddy Holly, Elvis, the list goes on and on... ONE SONG? Can't happen. Top 100 maybe...

Archived