Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pictures

BlackHawk233

The first Lemon Burst/Ice Tea (correct me if I'm wrong' date=' please) that really got me GASing!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against guys who own several great guitars, actually I admire you guys. Actually, it means nothing to me. The fact that you are a friendly guy (well, you seem to be) is everything I need to have a nice conversation here =)

And don't worry about you playing. Wether you kick *** or not, you'll probably never think it's enough - we should have a name for that too, just like GAS.

[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words, GS! The color of that guitar is actually called Sunrise Teaburst (formerly Stanleyburst). And you're right, it's somewhere in between a lemonburst and Iced Tea.

Frank

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my Les Paul recording. She's been with me, from new, around 35 years.

lpr.jpg

Body:

lprbody.jpg

Back:

lprbodybk.jpg

Head:

lprhead.jpg

Head back:

lprheadbk.jpg

The Bigsby was fitted by the shop I bought it from. The bridge was changed to a Schaller with rollers (by me) at a later date. The creaking of the original bridge saddles when the Bigsby was in use was getting to me!!

I still have the original Bridge/Tailpiece.

DaveG

NICE!!! i hear the silverbursts from the 80s used a different finnish which would seep into the wood and alter the tone' date=' which is why they stopped making them

have you heard this before?[/quote']

Yes, they used a different (metallic) paint for the 70's/80's Gibson les Paul Silverbursts. The 'Showcase Edition' doesn't have that finish on the back of the body/neck, but just on the maple top (it's the same finish as they used on the older LP Customs Silverbursts from the 70's). It turns green over time; mine did too. It's hard to capture the Silverburst finish on the pictures, but in reality the guitar has a more green/bronze color on the top (instead of being true 'silver'). In her old days she had a real shiny, true Silverburst color.

The Showcase Edition is one of those rare Gibsons (sorry) that really sounds dark by nature (in a good way), still with the Gibson tone. It's a (classic) hardrock machine, but does great bluesy/jazzy cleans. I tried many different pickups and electronics for this guitar, but its tonal (dark) character never changed, even with 500K CTS pots (which are in the guitar now). Many other Silverbursts LP Custom owners are mainly talking about the darker tone coming from their Silverburst Les Pauls. It could be the paint indeed, I don't know.

Archived