Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iamwater

SCS.4DJ crossfader: can be replaced with different cf?

Hello there.

Can the SCS.4DJ's crossfader be removed and replaced with a different crossfader?

What I mean is, the stock crossfader leaves a lot to be desired for serious scratching. I have to wedge a little piece of rubber in the crossfader track to decrease the cut-in distance, and it still is not good enough for proper cuts. I love the unit but the crossfader is a bit of a bummer if you're doing serious scratching. Is it possible to replace it with an innofader or something like that (a better quality crossfader geared towards scratching)? Anything compatible?

If not, is there anything I can do to improve this problem?

post-59250-056024900 1379048872_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing you've already gone into the SYSTEM SETTINGS and played with the various crossfader options?

AFAIK (As Far As I Know) the cossfader is not user replaceable... but i will ask engineering the difficulty of having a service center change the fader.

Thanks for your interest in our product

GPA~DJ

I'm guessing you've already gone into the SYSTEM SETTINGS and played with the various crossfader options?

AFAIK (As Far As I Know) the cossfader is not user replaceable... but i will ask engineering the difficulty of having a service center change the fader.

GPA~DJ

Yes, I did already set the crossfader setting to "fast cut". With that setting, the crossfader DOES have a "fast cut" feel to it BUT the distance between the crossfader's left-most position to the point where the audio cuts in is just way too far to do effective scratching. Crabs, twiddles, or any sort of intricate scratching techniques are not even possible. I'll hit the fader 4 times rapidly, and it only registers maybe one hit... if I'm lucky.

I LOVE the SCS.4DJ, it's freaking brilliant - all that technology in one small package. If only I could have another (better/more effective) crossfader installed to replace the stock CF, then I'd be completely happy with it. That's why I bought it - to have a portable, self-contained scratching interface for my live performances (but I'm failing onstage due to the CF shortcomings).

I would pay the extra money to have it installed, no problem, but I just need to know if it is possible, and how to do it OR where I can send it to have it done.

I appreciate your help, and patiently await your input (I have more performances coming up this month).

Please respond asap, thx! :)

Guest Professorbx

GPA~DJ

Crossfader is user replaceable. Crossfader is not replaceable with an Innofader-not enough room and no innobender kit made. Crossfader can be "credit card modded" (cut a piece of credit card and glue it to the end stops to lessen the dead space).

Crossfader is user replaceable. Crossfader is not replaceable with an Innofader-not enough room and no innobender kit made. Crossfader can be "credit card modded" (cut a piece of credit card and glue it to the end stops to lessen the dead space).

Thx for your input, I appreciate it :)

Ok, so I can't put an innofader in there, but are there any other CF's that I could replace the stock one with that might fit and be better than the stock one which would help my issue/situation? (I'd like to avoid a glue hack if I can).

Hello,

At the moment Stanton has no recommendations for other crossfaders. If that ever changes we will let you know. Yes! the crossfader is user replaceable but just with the Stanton crossfader for the SCS.4DJ.

Thank you for letting us know there are users that would like a sharper cut for scratching!

Hi,

i'm on turntablism and scratch practice too. I think that the native built-in crossfader of the scs4 is enough short to pass "crab" scratches and others scratch moves (like you can see here at the precise moment 1:51' in this vid

), but it's real that turntablists have to often change crossfaders : scratch is hardly rough with the crossfader's parts. And a better crossfader allows to last better and longer, and even to scratch better and pass more tricks.

Stanton is a company that looks towards the turntablism, so i'm pretty sure that there must be some Stanton's advices about this. In the mixer SK1's manual ( http://www.stantondj.com/pdf/manuals/sk1_owners_manual.pdf ) I see that there is advice about cleaning and references for replacement, but, none of this inside the SCS4DJ manual( http://www.stantondj.com/pdf/manuals/scs4_manual_en.pdf ).

So my question is the same that the one of this thread (kind of [very] long "up!" of this post [smile] ) : are they users of the SCS 4 Dj that have changed their crossfaders? Any help, would be greatly appreciated (... a Stanton reference for the crossfader replacement, or kind of same experience by someone who found a solution).

Or, else, is there another Stanton mixer using the same crosfader that the SCS4???(Just the answer at this question will resolve it all for me.)

I'll have an evening in a cafe next month, and my crossfader begins to be tired, there's a false contact at the end of the B side, plus I feel that it moves lightly from up to down, indeed i've been very cautious with the crossfader ( no real scratch practice even i'd really like it).

P.s : I've already contact the french customer service few days ago via my reseller (the french technical customer service, Major Audio at Le Bourget, didn't want to answer directly to me... :huh: ), but my reseller has still not the answer, so I'm here.

To help "conoisseurs" who could help me, I've seen that the length of the crossfader is 45mm,...but I've never opened my SCS4, dont know about the number of pins and their sizes or about the connectors.

Last thing for the builders : I think it would be nice to have a steel plate up the crossfader and under the plastic shell to preserve it.

(Sorry for my english)

That's so bad : this afternoon I've been to the shop where I've bought the SCS 4 : the Stanton/Gibson french technical service sent him a, maybe 10 cm, fader to replace my crossfader :o... Still no response, wherever i looked no informations about how replace the "user-replaceable" crossfader, (that's was my only question when i bought this "is the crossfader replaceable?") ProfessorBx, hi , this question is for you, please where does your information come about the fact that the crossfader is user replaceable and can you help me to find one?

That's so bad : this afternoon I've been to the shop where I've bought the SCS 4 : the Stanton/Gibson french technical service sent him a, maybe 10 cm, fader to replace my crossfader :o... Still no response, wherever i looked no informations about how replace the "user-replaceable" crossfader, (that's was my only question when i bought this "is the crossfader replaceable?") ProfessorBx, hi , this question is for you, please where does your information come about the fact that the crossfader is user replaceable and can you help me to find one?

Please contact customer service with replacing the crossfader http://www2.gibson.com/Support.aspx

Only they can properly assist you in this matter

Thanks [thumbup]

The Stanton Technical service has sent me a brand new crossfader (see the thread i've create in troubleshooting questions for details and references http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106310-reference-and-informations-for-the-crossfader-replacement/, last friday, so i will wait to that new crossfader will had to be to replaced.

Meantime,i've been looking after to replace the crossfader by an Innofader (optical fader, kind of everlasting), but the innobender's,the smaller of the innofaders, fixing kit seems still too big (on paper, did not have one to test) it seems that i have to modify the SCS4Dj box to have the place to insert in the Innobender (by "modify" i'm thinking about : to cut the plastic of the bottom of the Scs4Dj box or to place longers screws with the intention to not close it fully, the goal is to gain space inside to carry another crossfader), I think it's about one or two millimeters but still a matter..I will see later for the innofader, otherwise, I've credit-card modded my crossfader to kill some of the dead space at both ends of the crossfader length and then for my crossfader to have a sharper cut.

The Stanton Technical service has sent me a brand new crossfader (see the thread i've create in troubleshooting questions for details and references http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106310-reference-and-informations-for-the-crossfader-replacement/, last friday, so i will wait to that new crossfader will had to be to replaced.

Meantime,i've been looking after to replace the crossfader by an Innofader (optical fader, kind of everlasting), but the innobender's,the smaller of the innofaders, fixing kit seems still too big (on paper, did not have one to test) it seems that i have to modify the SCS4Dj box to have the place to insert in the Innobender (by "modify" i'm thinking about : to cut the plastic of the bottom of the Scs4Dj box or to place longers screws with the intention to not close it fully, the goal is to gain space inside to carry another crossfader), I think it's about one or two millimeters but still a matter..I will see later for the innofader, otherwise, I've credit-card modded my crossfader to kill some of the dead space at both ends of the crossfader length and then for my crossfader to have a sharper cut.

Did you finally managed to put an other fader in ?

Did you finally managed to put an other fader in ?

No, like I wrote in the other post (http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106310-reference-and-informations-for-the-crossfader-replacement/), Stanton sent me a brand new crossfader, in add of that i managed to "repair" the other one, with my "credit card modding" -> the false contact was at the right end of the crossfader's length, and with the mod ( I put a chopped credit card at the Left & Right end,under the shell and over the crossfader, to block it before it reaches the wrong point, plus i think with the fact that i "crush" up & down the black plastic leave protectin from the dust over the crossfader's nick, it guides enough the crossfade's glide to avoid the up and down points where's there's the wrong contact. I must admit that i've lost a bit of glide efficiency at the R&L ends by this way...

To help to see,look at the 1st picture (with the sizings in red) of the other linked post, and picture that with a small plastic square over the middle left and right screw holes (the 65's).

About another crossfader from another brand, from what i saw : the real problem is the lack of space in the SCS4 shell, i'll wait, it works like that today...and : if it isn't broke...don't fix it! :) I hope that it could help.