Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
charlie brown

I'm so SICK, of losing our children, this way!!

I think the anti-bullying programs that schools are doing these days are kind of an oxymoron. We can't stop bullying.

Nothing has changed, really. Except there are more avenues to bully others (modern technology). Some parents need to lay down the line. No more P.C. bullshit. If you catch your son/daughter cyberbullying somebody, get out the belt. If you catch your son/daughter being cyberbullied, have a talk with them.

When the basics of "treat others as you would like to be treated" are no longer taught by our general culture with also an eye to what life is like in the real world, "we" have problems. Again, what's obviously happened is that parents and other teachers have decreasing interaction with kids for a number of reasons and they themselves are weak on such basics of social interaction.

In fact, I think today's generation of parents have also in ways fewer realistic social skills, and instead want their solutions imposed by "government" since they tend not to admit to any other agency such as general public concurrence on ethics that once was "the deal." Children have far more opportunities than their own parents had. Yet we didn't see the unintended consequences of less direct parental time with kids as they did so many soccer, football, dance or guitar lessons every evening of the week.

"We" stopped going to "church" too. I refuse to be convinced that people in 1760 or 1950 were really more "believers" than today, were they to be questioned on theology, but I am convinced that "we" believed as cultures that "church" was a valuable tool in reinforcing basic human ethics as well as a valuable tool of general social interaction.

Now? We're incredibly polarized as a world culture in large part because we no longer have common denominators in our cultural toolbag from "church" to "general interest magazines" or even only a few television channels and radio frequencies.

That's true even with "us here" guitar pickers. Consider how polarized we tend to be when it comes to guitar styles, strings, techniques - even "new" guitars such as Gibson's FirebirdX. "We" do or don't care for something and everybody else is a pawn or stupid.

It's not a "moral" issue here, but rather the acceleration of change with the unintended consequences of changing the entire cultural literacy of a language group.

The difference is that "we" now have the tools, as do our children, to redefine almost anything from word meanings to cultural values, in as little as a week or so. We then ignore any potential unintended consequences of such actions.

I must add that such questions are far from new. Cato, Seneca, Livy... and in fact some scholars would suggest that much of the Roman literature we have today is centered on concerns of morals and questions of moral degradation. "Morals" here don't mean quite what most folks think necessarily in terms of "morality in sexual activities," but in terms of personal honor and integrity to higher values... virtue.

<sigh> Yet when's the last time you heard the word "virtue?" How often "honorable?" How often "trust" without a certainty it's part of a scam?

m

Yeah, Milod...Trust, virtue, integrity, and ethics were more a "given," back when.

Those, that didn't have them, were the anomaly, not the "norm." Now, when they do

exist, we're more apt to be suspicious of "why" and what the ulterior motive behind

it, might be. Sad! [unsure] Also, we have to consider the increasingly widespread substance

abuse, "illegal" or not, in the equation.

But, I suppose it's all part of being on the constant pendulum, of change.

Back and Forth, 'Round and 'Round!" [blink] But now, instead of years,

even decades, it takes mere minutes, at times. [scared]

CB

CB...

I'm a language "nut" if you will.

So please take the following as a concern of student of language rather than a "religious moral nut sermon" given my far more natural bent toward something of a libertarian on personal relationships.

Even 20 years ago, after roughly 5,000 years of literature written in hundreds of languages, note how quickly the word "marriage" for the first time has come to mean a formal and legal relationship between two persons of the same sex, when it always in so many cultures meant contracts only between a male and a female identities - even with multiple such contracts including the same individual and others of the opposite sexual identity.

It's not hard to understand why society might believe that such a change in word meaning is "valid" given the increasing legalism in modern cultures. It is a very understandable belief that committed couples (note ONLY couples in most current societies) should have equivalent rights to such as hospital visitation (I couldn't even be with my 50-year stepmother when she had her shoulder popped back in place because we had no "formal" relationship), tax equity, inheritance equity, etc.

Those became questions in today's world of law that even govern relationships far more than in the past where a degree of cultural hypocrisy and less techno-intrusion made such concerns moot.

But what intrigues me is how rapidly we change the meaning of a word.

It used to take literally a century or more. Now it's within decades or even less.

Ditto so many "cultural artifacts."

Oddly "marriage," in whatever language, has been one of those odd words that had been immune to change along with primary colors, numbers and such. Were we to, in less than two decades, change the meaning of the word "red" to include "blue-green," consider the unintended consequences of people in yet another few decades failing to understand what was meant by writers describing "red-faced blush" or "red roses," or "red-tinted clouds" or "red-blooded."

<grin> What of "O my Luve's like a red, red rose." Is he or she green-faced with illness, of flushed with blood rushing to his/her face with affection?

Such is the case with so many words changing so rapidly, so much culture changing so rapidly, that I think societies in "our" world have a tendency to feel as lost as the Lakota when forced into a semi mainstream cultural life on a small reservation with most of their cultural artifacts not so much forbidden, but rather impossible under instantly changed circumstances.

They literally knew not what to teach their children, and perhaps even less how they themselves should live as adults. In my region of the world we still are collectively reaping the harvest of such obviously unintended consequences set up by well-meaning people.

Coping with change even under the circumstances and speeds of the Roman republic in 200 BCE was obviously difficult. How much more difficult is such change today?

What are the unintended consequences of us as metaphorical "Lakota" forced into such changes in a single generation, thanks to changing technologies and world circumstances?

I guess our generation's grandchildren will reap the whirlwind because my generation has certainly, unconcerned, sown the wind.

m

Yeah, I think I started noticing a real shift, in the "paradigm" if you will,

with my generation's coming of age, in the '60's. Some, might argue it started

with "Rock & Roll" in the '50's. That's partially true...but, I think the "Baby

Boomers" by their enormous numbers, took it further, faster. We're now still reaping

those "rewards," like it, or not. I think, too, it would have happened, eventually,

anyway. Just maybe???, not as quickly? Who knows? Hindsight, being what it is. [tongue]

Now, however, with all this continuing technology, things tend to change (sometimes,

literally) over-night! [scared][tongue][biggrin] And, humans...being naturally resistent to "change,"

are having some "growing pains," in dealing with the rapid escalation, of these

(often profound) changes.

Of course, as you pointed out, with every major shift, we've had similar problems

(just not as quickly) throughout history.

CB

CB...

I'd suggest only that the rapidity of change for folks in today's technological environment who have concurrently little historical perspective other than of their own circumstances, there is only one parallel. That is of a nation defeated in war and largely displaced in less than a generation into a very different circumstance.

Again, the Lakota and Northern Cheyenne come to mind as a perfect example. I'll add that these numerically small but estimable peoples have not done well at making adjustments; any sort of morality, family, personal responsibility and "work," as well as modes of finding self pride disappeared with all the cultural mileposts of generations.

And those tribal people were not incapable of great cultural adaptation; that was proven by acceptance of the horse within a generation or two by a culture that lacked a written language.

But they were clobbered by technology and the culture of technology even more than any "racism" that was more cultural than anything, given the acceptance of so many of those people when language and appearance was "mainstream." It's taken for granted where I live today that it's a near certainty that a neighbor or coworker has "Amerind" genetics. It's also a near certainty that by their forebears adopting mainstream culture that they've pretty well lost track of most reservation relatives.

Unintended consequences of rapid change tend to be far more interesting than those of slower change.

What the heck, how many folks played electric guitar and PA systems for vocals in the fall of 1913 a century ago?

m

Bullying at school, or in the park, or at work is terrible but has always happened and, to some degree, is part of growing up

I think the media frenzy around cyber bullying is a case of reporting what sells papers. I don't think it is anywhere near as big of a problem as the headlines make it out to be.

I agree completely.

Bullying has been around since little caveman Oog went to cave art class with the smallest club and was picked on for his little club.

IT HAS been around forever and WILL be around forever, as will teen suicide.

There were kids who pulled the pin when I was young long before any internet.

Cyber bullying is just the new tech for human nature.

Humans suck and will always be hateful and mean. No anti-bullying campaign is ever going to change that.

It's a sad situation and it sickens me that it happens. But it never surprises me.

Actually, I think it's a far worse problem, that the headlines indicate.

They only report, what they've heard, or has been reported, as News!

What about all that isn't reported! It's much like "Rape," in that way.

A small fraction, of actual rapes, are ever reported, much less prosecuted.

The feeling that "Human's suck"...is quite true...SOMETIMES. We do "shine"

now and then, too! Of course, that's far LESS reported, than when we "suck,"

and create havoc. "IF it Bleeds, it leads!," as the old journalistic saying goes. [tongue]

[unsure]

Whatever...I STILL HATE, when any of our young people have been made to feel,

there's no other answer, than Suicide! For whatever reason...but, gang "Cyber

Bullying" just seems so far beyond, the "norm" even for bullying. Maybe it's

because there's so much of it, and so little that's been done (can be done?)

to combat it? I really don't know. :unsure: It starts first, as most of you

have mentioned, in the home! Within that environment, and what's taught, or

allowed.

Anyway, Thanks...ALL of you, for your input, thus far. It's been interesting,

and maybe, in some small way, helpful (for me, anyway)...just to talk about,

now and then. These kinds of incidents tend to really depress me! But, maybe

that's just me?! [unsure]

CB

It's not just you CB.

Sadly it's just a sick fact of life that due to the way news is delivered nowadays you can't look away. It's in your face.

I just don't think it's anything new or worse than always has been.

It's not just the cyber world. It's also these damn 24 hour news channels there are now.

The global news can be told in 30 minutes a day.

It's the 24 hour a day news channels keeping it in your face.

We also have people raising children that have been raised to believe there are no losers., everybody gets a trophy, nobody keeps score...blah blah...When I was a kid if someone saw you messing up they would speak up, today we look the other way, can't hurt feelings or say hurtful things! I remember going to the grocery store with mom, my older brother filled his pockets with walnuts, the cashier, a older man, picked my brother up by the pant leg and shook the walnuts out of his pockets...my mother wasn't made at the store keeper, she was mad at my brother. Today the storekeeper would be in jail...

Damn right Jax.

This Dr. Phil society is outa control.

No accountability.

No winners? Nice lesson.

The Santa lie is bad enough. Now we are supposed to tell them that everyone is a winner no

matter how lame their attempt is???

Not me. Not in my family.

I am brutally honest with my kids. I think they are well prepared for what's ahead.

My kids are smarter than many adults.

We also have people raising children that have been raised to believe there are no losers., everybody gets a trophy, nobody keeps score...blah blah...When I was a kid if someone saw you messing up they would speak up, today we look the other way, can't hurt feelings or say hurtful things! I remember going to the grocery store with mom, my older brother filled his pockets with walnuts, the cashier, a older man, picked my brother up by the pant leg and shook the walnuts out of his pockets...my mother wasn't made at the store keeper, she was mad at my brother. Today the storekeeper would be in jail...

This is pretty much, the way I was raised, as well! Thank You, Mom, Dad, and God!

It goes back, to what I mentioned earlier, "it takes a whole village, to raise a child!"

That worked for centuries, in one form, or another. Can't see any reason, it wouldn't

still...given half a chance, and losing the "Political Correctness," as well as getting

back to logic=reason, and common sense! [razz]

CB

Bullying at school, or in the park, or at work is terrible but has always happened and, to some degree, is part of growing up. I just don't understand how someone can allow themselves to by bullied on line. I was bullied at school, just like everyone else, I hated it and there was no where to go. Now, if I log in to Facebook, twitter, a forum or anything else and get bullied I can stop that happenening at the touch of a button. I think the media frenzy around cyber bullying is a case of reporting what sells papers. I don't think it is anywhere near as big of a problem as the headlines make it out to be. I think these kids who feel they need to take their own lives have much more serious underlying problems (the inability to walk away from this, that or the other social network for starters) I think these kids feel the need to find 'friends' on line because they haven't been given the tools they need to make friends or even exist in the real world. I think that is the real problem. The solution isn't closing websites or prosecuting owners, it's with the parents, communities, teachers and schools.

Kids also grow up in a world where being offended is treated like a terrible thing no one should go through. The fact is that if I say something that offends you, you sleep on it and you've forgotten it the next day. You won't wake up with a missing limb, or having contracted some desease. Nothing happens, be offended, get over it and get on. Until get to the end of this idea that society ought to be able to exist, with all the different people, and no one should ever say or do anything that might offend the others, we will be creating needy, emotionally stunted children and teenagers and these kids go through a world of pain when reality dawns on them in early adulthood.

there you go....making sense again...I warned you.....now we're ALL in trouble !

too many kids (and adults) today are led to believe the world should be perfect, and they should be treated as such.

when they get their 1st real tastes of reality, they can't cope w/it because they've never had to learn how to, and end up feeling that "opting out" is the only solution to the issue.

side note, Izzy, be proud of coming out young.....couldn't have been easy & was a very brave thing to do !

a nephew of mine came out in his teens, and was bullied relentlessly not only at school but within the family as well, which i've never understood.

he's the same person we all loved before.....but most of the family has turned their backs on him.

it's never mattered to me....if he's happy (which he is) i'm happy for him.

why can't folks just let other folks be happy & enjoy their lives?

Guest Farnsbarns

They only report, what they've heard, or has been reported, as News!

What about all that isn't reported!

CB

Well... Yes.... Obviously.

What I'm saying is that this isn't new, it's the same old bullying we've always had and, sadly, a handful of kids have always found they can't deal with it and a few have always committed suiside. Cyberbullying is just old fashioned bullying except that now there's an internet. I doubt whether the internet has caused a rise in teenage suiside, if it had, papers would reprt the percentages and if there is an increase it seems more likely that it's caused by the zero tollerence to offensiveness and the illusion of "ever one's a winner" our schools etc seem to promote. It is simply that some of the bullying now happens over the internet and the media have discovered that if they link the bullying with the internet they can stir up the villagers to get the torches out and march on website owners. It really is a case of a connection that doesn't exist.

I remember protecting a friend from this idiot in the park, only to find he had his friends round the corner as well. I took a whooping that evening. Guess what, no one blamed the parks department of the local council.

The media whipping things up isn't new, we must try not to be the lowest common denominater to which they are trying to appeal. We must think further than what is in the article and apply our own intelligence.

I am a product of a 50's very mixed marriage--Asian, African/American, Native American and White (and that was Quebecois to boot)...a classic mutt!

My father was a military man and we spent most of the 60's in Europe witnessing the tragic aftermath of the world enabling a bully and occasionally being bullied ourselves.

My father's advice was "As long as they're just running their mouths, turn and walk away. If they put their hands on you, put their lights out...then turn and walk away. What bullies really want is that you NOT turn and walk away, that you stand there and just take it and cry...people like that are sorry-assed losers and not worth your time of day."

He was a Sergeant-Major and always spoke like one--and he was right.

I guess if he was raising kids now he'd just say "Then turnoff that goddam computer and go outside. It's a beautiful day."

I am a product of a 50's very mixed marriage--Asian, African/American, Native American and White (and that was Quebecois to boot)...a classic mutt!

My father was a military man and we spent most of the 60's in Europe witnessing the tragic aftermath of the world enabling a bully and occasionally being bullied ourselves.

My father's advice was "As long as they're just running their mouths, turn and walk away. If they put their hands on you, put their lights out...then turn and walk away. What bullies really want is that you NOT turn and walk away, that you stand there and just take it and cry...people like that are sorry-assed losers and not worth your time of day."

I guess if he was raising kids now he'd just say "Then turnoff that goddam computer and go outside. It's a beautiful day."

I think I will! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

1379252426[/url]' post='1425610']

Our fathers were very much alike, mine had been a CWO in the navy, served in WWII and Korea, later became a chief of police then a Marshal, his instructions were, in the case of more then one bully, pick out the one running his mouth and take him out. He took a lot of time to teach me and my brother how to do that.But then most of our male teachers were WWII and Korean War vets. I remember in the 60s in high school PE class, if two guys were butting heads, our coach would give us gloves and let us work it out....that wouldn't fly today.

I thought about this thread a bit today, and I can tell you this, school systems are all over this (not that it will necessarily make a difference). Every teacher I know has been to at least one training on bullying in the last few years, so there is at least an awareness of the problem - unlike when we were kids...

For example, I was 4' 11" in 8th grade and was teased constantly. You have no idea how much I hate Randy Newman's song "Short People" today after hearing it sung in my face for a solid year. [biggrin] But you know what? I grew a set. In fact I doubt I'd be as confident a person today had I NOT been teased.

So what makes bullying different today?

Every bullying scenario involves three participants: the bully, the bullied, and the bystander(s).

We all agree bullies have been around forever. I don't think they've changed.

There seems to be an implication in the thread so far that the bullied have changed. This is certainly possible. I guess it's possible that kids are weaker and more sensitive today - but I doubt this.

Lastly we have the bystanders... the audience... those observing the bullying scenario. They do matter. Would you rather be bullied alone on your way home from school or in the hallway with others there to observe your humiliation? I think this is the largest change in the bullying equation. The bystanders have grown from a few kids in the hall in our day to hundreds of kids on FaceBook - making the humiliation more public and more devastating.

Just my .02 as always

In my own particular case, I don't think I was overly sensitive or weak. I was, however, outnumbered and had literally nowhere to turn. My teachers were just as physically and verbally abusive as my classmates. I was told by teachers daily that if I went "whining" to my parents I would be put in an institution and left there. How do you respond to that as a 6 year old being held up in the air by the roots by a nun? What is a kid in a situation like the one I was in supposed to do when they know that there is no school they can go to where they won't be terrorized by adults and kids alike and they can't tell their parents because they know that they already take up too much of their parents time that their siblings deserve, too? What is a kid in that situation to do when they do try to get help and the situation just gets exponentially worse and you know that it will only be more of the same at every other school you go to because you are different in a way that is impossible to hide?

Bullying may have been around for thousands of years, but that doesn't make it right. Genocide has been around for thousands of years, too, but people try to stop that from happening. I didn't learn to socialize, I learned to hide, I learned that I was worthless and didn't count for anything, I learned to keep my head down, my mouth shut and to be as invisible as himanly possible. My daily mantra was "out of sight, out of mind". I didn't stand a snowball's chance in fighting back against 70+ kids and adults so I just did what I had to to survive. I am sure that there are kids out there who endure the same things I went through even today, so it's kind of adding insult to injury calling kids who are bullied weak.

Just my thoughts, though.

Hey, I too was bullied...first, at age 6, but only after I moved (out of state) to a new school.

I was the "odd=new" one, then. And, even the teachers let me know it! In fact,

I was accused, without a shred of evidence mind you, of a particularly disgusting

act, in one of the bathrooms, in the school. A teacher (Finally) told the principal

that I was NOT, in fact, the one who perpetrated that act, but it was someone else,

entirely...who had a penchant, for disgusting behavior. But, because I was "new,"

they were sure it must have been me. I got NO appology, whatsoever, from the teachers,

or the principal. I was just sent back to class, as if nothing had happened. I was

very angry, for some time, after that. And, a bit "paranoid" too, whenever there

was a "problem" reported. I was not a trouble maker, however. STILL, when I look

back, it actually helped me "size up," people, and avoid most situations, that I

might otherwise have missed, until it was too late. I WILL "defend myself" as needed,

but I never "start" trouble, at all. Never have. But, it did make me more aware,

and sympathetic, to children that are bullied. I've even intervened, a few times,

on their behalf. But, this Cyber stuff, going "viral" on YouTube, for all the world

to see, is something entirely different. For folks that haven't been taught how, or

when to deal with it, and that are, in fact, more "sensitive," I can understand how

devastating, it could be. Unfortunately, those are the exact "types" that bullies

LOVE!

CB

I was bullied in school because I:

was a "yankee kid" in the deep South

was badly underweight (until I joined the military)

was forced to start school a yr early due to Moms "nervous condition"(=valium addiction)

had a speech impediment (3 yrs of speech therapy fixed it)

imagine being in school where the teachers MOCK the way you speak!

Dad had made enemies w/nearly every parent in town

I was bullied/picked on by students & some (not many) teachers...until I "snapped" in 9th grade & turned mean/vicious toward my tormentors.

some turn the rage outward, some inward,.....some commit atrocities.

I chose door #1 "outward".

I believe that warrior culture is the reason that bullying has been perpetuated. The warrior culture says that the way to deal with a bully is to be a bigger bully.

You can't reason with those people. They're in the war business. They don't have to play be everybody else's rules.

Modern culture doesn't accept that. We stand between the bully and the bullied. We don't punch anybody. That's what morons do.

Badblues...

Perhaps you're correct, however one must needs also recognize that in "the olden days," kid victims didn't explode as they do nowadays when bullying is, in theory, forbidden.

I wasn't "a bigger bully" when I took on a much bigger kid who outweighed me 40 pounds in the sixth grade. And I doubt also that my lit and language teacher mother was per se reflecting a warrior culture regardless that she referenced the Spartan mothers' admonition to their sons to come home with their shields or on them - or that I'd get worse at home if I ran away.

Granted, she knew what was going on. It also really got me into martial arts long term.

I've also noticed the past few decades a lot more bullying by females who have learned that there's no real punishment for them, nor a punch in the nose. So they carry that success into the business and working world. The old, "there are some things you don't say to others or you might get punched" that kept a degree of civility is gone for both male and female. In fact, I just finished a corporate required "civil workplace" session where all the video "bullies" were male - quite the contrary of what I've seen through my own career.

Morons fail to recognize that there's a lizard brain in each of us, regardless of our intellectual capacity. One might note that Socrates was no wimp by any measure, nor was Plato; Xenophon was quite a writer as well as a military man very aware of how humans tend to interact under varying degrees of stress. (Read Xenophon's "Anabasis.")

Modern culture does not stand between the bully and the bullied; it simply applies rules that may or may not be fairly applied in an effort to change human nature, especially among children who are learning how to socialize and function and gain status in groups.

It also offers new tech outlets for bullies and aids in building of rage, while at the same time it offers means to desensitize youth to empathy for others.

It rewards bullies, children or adults, who know and bypass the rules knowing they functionally are exempt from either punishment or retaliation in a meaningful way. That's the problem in a nutshell or it wouldn't be a problem at all because "modern culture" doesn't want it to be and passed rules against it. We're increasingly discovering that "rules" don't necessarily carry the weight one might wish them to, and successful childhood bullies tend to carry that success into adulthood with impunity. It's just not as obvious as when a bully was a punch more than a Facebook page.

That includes nuns.

The old schoolyard paradigm, made difficult if not impossible by growth of student numbers however, was to allow teachers to guide a response to rather simple and immediate bullying. Now with cyber bullying added... I really don't know, except to state that "we" have a way to go, but that "rules" don't teach much and real life action does, regardless for better or worse.

In fact... consider some of the nasty "anti HenryJ" mob bullying commentary on this very forum when brave folks knew they were beyond meaningful response regardless of "rules."

m

Milod - I completely respect your viewpoint. I agree with what you're saying. I don't mean to criticize anybody who did what was normal and reasonable back in the day. I don't think there's probably much difference in the way we're thinking, just in the way we're emphasizing.

I hate to argue about bullying because everybody needs to deal with stuff in their own way. But at least the schools these days have a better handle on it than they used to.

I used to get the **** beat out of me most every day by my parents, so I know bullying. All I'm saying is that what made my parents that way was that the only way they knew how to deal with people was to be abusive. My father learned that from the military and didn't have a balanced upbringing to start with, so he didn't know any better. They were bullied when they were kids but they couldn't break the cycle as adults. They didn't respect that other people had figured out more productive ways to deal with people.

But that's why we all get to treat our kids the way we want to. I broke the cycle. I learned to turn around and walk away. And nobody ended up more "Alpha" than me. Surely not Henry. [tongue] . Just kidding.

I taught my kids to turn around and walk away. I hope they teach their kids to do the same. As far as I know, neither of my kids ever had a fistfight. They played all kinds of sports and get along great with everybody.

And you guys keep your hands off my daughter:

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/25/sports/l-angie-gibbons-and-precedence-107774.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/14/sports/girl-on-boys-soccer-team.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1915&dat=19841012&id=G3UfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DHIFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1365,2711184

And Milod - I'm not bullying Henry. He's way more powerful than me. Therefore it's not bullying. It's pestering. Go play games with somebody else.

People don't like me because I'm a smart aleck. The reason I'm a smart aleck is because I was raised by a couple of morons who bullied me. Like I say, "You beat your kids, they'll turn out like me."