Gibson Brands Forums

They've GOT to stop the madness!!!!

onewilyfool

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too funny. Jim Owen nailed it... we enable them.

Yes. And we enjoy doing so. I think they've got us figured out. After all, ther job ain't to sell us one guitar. Their job is to make sure we ain't satisfied with only one.

"Gold top", "Brazilian" and "Modern Classic" added

Well.....it could be any of these (in all it's ridiculous glory):

"Gold top", "Brazilian" and "Modern Classic" added

1.GIbson J-45 Classic

2.GIbson J-45 Modern

3.GIbson J-45 Custom

4.GIbson J-45 True Vintage

5.GIbson J-45 Pro

6.GIbson J-45 Artist

7.GIbson J-45 New Vintage

8.GIbson J-45 American

9.GIbson J-45 SLegend

10.GIbson J-45 Studio

11.GIbson J-45 Pre-war

12. GIbson J-45 Deluxe

13. GIbson J-45 Limited

14. GIbson J-45 Standard

15. GIbson J-45 Studio reissue

16. GIbson J-45 Custom Koa

17. GIbson J-45 Custom Maple

18. GIbson J-45 Custom Rosewood

19. GIbson J-45 Long scale

20. GIbson J-45 Antique Natural

21. GIbson J-45 LTD 1960'S J-45 ,Ebony Black

22. GIbson J-45 LTD 1968 J-45 ,Cherry Red Finish

23. Gibson J-45 - Wine Red

24. Gibson J-45 - Vintage Sunburst

25.Gibson J-45 Cobraburst

26. Gibson J-45 Amberburst

27. Gibson J-45 Red Spruce Sunsetburst

28. Gibson J-45 Historic collection

29. Gibson Brad Paisley Signature J-45

30. Gibson John Hiatt Signature J-45

31. Gibson J-45 Celebrity

32. Gibson J-45 Reissue

33. Gibson J-45 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

34. Gibson J-45 Custom Vine Rosewood

35. Gibson J-45 Reissue Historic

36. Gibson J-45 V.O.S.

37. Gibson J-45 Pure voice

38. Gibson J-45 Koa Maui Wowie

39. Gibson Standard CST J45 Madagascar Rosewood

40. Gibson J-45 Western (added)

41. Gibson J-45 Modern Classic (added)

42. Gibson J-45 Gold top (added)

43. Gibson J-45 Brazilian (added)

I'm sure there are more, I MUST have missed some, I know there were a few J-45 Brazilians, for example..........I had to stop because I was laughing so hard.....

So, in all sincerity, just what is a J45? Is it a conglomeration of many guitars that are routinely labeled as "J45?" To me, all these different guitars take away from the aura of the J45 legend. They cheapen the entire Gibson line by making it appear as if there is no pedigree for a J45, Hummingbird, J200, because they're just names. The demensions, wood, scale are up for grabs and whatever happens to be the flavor of the month. There apparently is no actual J45(perhaps there never was). It's simply a name that can apply to a possibly endless line of guitars. Gibson is kind of becoming like SAGA. They've got a guitar for every occasion. Probably good for business, but sad for a longtime admirer and owner.

"J-45 Flamed Maple LTD" added

Well.....it could be any of these (in all it's ridiculous glory):

"Gold top", "Brazilian" and "Modern Classic" , "J-45 Flamed Maple LTD" added

1.GIbson J-45 Classic

2.GIbson J-45 Modern

3.GIbson J-45 Custom

4.GIbson J-45 True Vintage

5.GIbson J-45 Pro

6.GIbson J-45 Artist

7.GIbson J-45 New Vintage

8.GIbson J-45 American

9.GIbson J-45 SLegend

10.GIbson J-45 Studio

11.GIbson J-45 Pre-war

12. GIbson J-45 Deluxe

13. GIbson J-45 Limited

14. GIbson J-45 Standard

15. GIbson J-45 Studio reissue

16. GIbson J-45 Custom Koa

17. GIbson J-45 Custom Maple

18. GIbson J-45 Custom Rosewood

19. GIbson J-45 Long scale

20. GIbson J-45 Antique Natural

21. GIbson J-45 LTD 1960'S J-45 ,Ebony Black

22. GIbson J-45 LTD 1968 J-45 ,Cherry Red Finish

23. Gibson J-45 - Wine Red

24. Gibson J-45 - Vintage Sunburst

25.Gibson J-45 Cobraburst

26. Gibson J-45 Amberburst

27. Gibson J-45 Red Spruce Sunsetburst

28. Gibson J-45 Historic collection

29. Gibson Brad Paisley Signature J-45

30. Gibson John Hiatt Signature J-45

31. Gibson J-45 Celebrity

32. Gibson J-45 Reissue

33. Gibson J-45 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Deuce

34. Gibson J-45 Custom Vine Rosewood

35. Gibson J-45 Reissue Historic

36. Gibson J-45 V.O.S.

37. Gibson J-45 Pure voice

38. Gibson J-45 Koa Maui Wowie

39. Gibson Standard CST J45 Madagascar Rosewood

40. Gibson J-45 Western (added)

41. Gibson J-45 Modern Classic (added)

42. Gibson J-45 Gold top (added)

43. Gibson J-45 Brazilian (added)

44. Gibson J-45 Flamed Maple LTD (added)

I'm sure there are more, I MUST have missed some, I know there were a few J-45 Brazilians, for example..........I had to stop because I was laughing so hard.....

I just did a quick calculation. Apparently there were just a hair under 16 million (2**16 * 3**5) variants of the Toyota Camry available. In 2013 alone. Not counting hybrids.

How come so many people can deal with there being hundreds of millions of variants of the Camry since 1990 without any trouble -- some even like it, because it means they can get the model of their choice with the options of their choice -- but there being 50 variants of the J-45 since 1990 causes them to freak?

-- Bob R

Remember little Johnny in the sex education class. Teacher says Johnny how many positions do know for having sex... Johnny says 49. Teacher's not amused and ask around the classroom til someone says I only know of boy on top and girl on bottom.... little Johnny jumps up and says 50.

No one is freaking out Rar....I just put this up because of the barefaced manipulation by the Marketing suits...a lot of these are duplicates with different names....same guitar, different dress. Rar, I remember you one lauded Ren's creation of the Songwriter in one of your posts, first new blood in the standard line of Gibson's more or less traditional line, since the Hummingbird, and I agree.......What they are doing with the J-45 line, is NOT coming from luthiers, but marketing. Just clever ways to put on a different dress, and try to get $400 to $800+ extra dollars for basically the same thing. I'm with the others who have posted that they like the variety, but let's call a spade a spade, trying to imitate a guitar from the 40' or 60's is NOT coming up with something "new" even though it is marketed that way. I think Hogeye posted that without Ren, or someone of Ren's stature to come on board at Bozeman, this kind of repetitive dribble, forced by the non-guitar playing Marketing boys will try to stand as "innovation". Plus it is VERY confusing to consumers, as we have seen in a multitude of post in the past year alone. And Rar, comparing the variations of a car, which has thousands of parts with thousands of variations, with the variations of a guitar that has TEN'S of parts, is a little trite, especially for a great master of logic like you, come on, you can do better than this particular metaphor!. Once again, just pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the J-45 name game, and the lack of real innovation of potential new models coming out of Bozeman at this time...AND this has NOTHING to do with the fine workers who make all these variations of the J-45( and make them well, I might add). I mean, look what Ren is doing at Guild and Fender custom shop!!! It's amazing what is coming out of that shop, completely new models that Guild has never produced before, and before that, I would say that Guild was pretty traditional in their designs and offerings, Pre-Ren. And it seems, Ren is happier than a pig in mud as a result. Right now, I feel, that Gibson needs some NEW blood in the design department, AND, hoping they continue to offer all these great variations of the J-45!

No one is freaking out Rar....I just put this up because of the barefaced manipulation by the Marketing suits...a lot of these are duplicates with different names....same guitar, different dress. Rar, I remember you one lauded Ren's creation of the Songwriter in one of your posts, first new blood in the standard line of Gibson's more or less traditional line, since the Hummingbird, and I agree.......What they are doing with the J-45 line, is NOT coming from luthiers, but marketing. Just clever ways to put on a different dress, and try to get $400 to $800+ extra dollars for basically the same thing. I'm with the others who have posted that they like the variety, but let's call a spade a spade, trying to imitate a guitar from the 40' or 60's is NOT coming up with something "new" even though it is marketed that way. I think Hogeye posted that without Ren, or someone of Ren's stature to come on board at Bozeman, this kind of repetitive dribble, forced by the non-guitar playing Marketing boys will try to stand as "innovation". Plus it is VERY confusing to consumers, as we have seen in a multitude of post in the past year alone. And Rar, comparing the variations of a car, which has thousands of parts with thousands of variations, with the variations of a guitar that has TEN'S of parts, is a little trite, especially for a great master of logic like you, come on, you can do better than this particular metaphor!. Once again, just pointing out some of the ridiculousness of the J-45 name game, and the lack of real innovation of potential new models coming out of Bozeman at this time...AND this has NOTHING to do with the fine workers who make all these variations of the J-45( and make them well, I might add). I mean, look what Ren is doing at Guild and Fender custom shop!!! It's amazing what is coming out of that shop, completely new models that Guild has never produced before, and before that, I would say that Guild was pretty traditional in their designs and offerings, Pre-Ren. And it seems, Ren is happier than a pig in mud as a result. Right now, I feel, that Gibson needs some NEW blood in the design department, AND, hoping they continue to offer all these great variations of the J-45!

Most of the names you listed came out while Ren was still at the company. As far as your slam on marketing, um hello? What world have you been living on? Just check out the way Martin proliferates model variations with all sorts of price tags. The J-45 situation is not very confusing to customers. Very few are actually available at one time. OK, a few variations are somewhat absurd, where the body shape is different and the wood is different, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule. This whole show of outrage over J-45 variations is totally bogus. You, onewilyfool, own a short-scale mahogany AJ, or some such non-sequitur, which is actually a product of the company's let's-try-every-permutation strategy and you have seen that it is good and given it your blessing, so quit complaining.

In 2009 I knew I wanted a J-45 and I was very glad I to have options...J45TV, Standard, Deluxe and Legend. All J-45s, but each very different. I played all but the Legend, and the True Vintage sounded best by far to me.... I got lucky because I found a shop with 6 J45TVs and I got to A/B them over two or three days and I walked out with the door with the pick of the litter.

...the only problem I see with all those 40 something and counting variants of the J-45s is the size of my house.

Actually the Short Scale AJ's was a custom order from a music store, nothing to do with marketing, but thanks for your flaming input Jerry. I really like that guitar....Thank God, they didn't call it a J-45, I don't think I could handle that.

Quite a few of the guitars on your list are 'custom order from a music store'. The whole complaint is totally phoney baloney. You know it too, but now that somebody noticed the emperor has no clothes you'll have to double down and do an ever more agitated dance in the altogether. Yawn.

Quite a few of the guitars on your list are 'custom order from a music store'. The whole complaint is totally phoney baloney. You know it too, but now that somebody noticed the emperor has no clothes you'll have to double down and do an ever more agitated dance in the altogether. Yawn.

Well there we go, the ghost of Christmas past lives and breathes.

Anybody who has been around here a while knows the situation. Gibson makes three or so regular models: Standard, TV, and Legend. Then they have a few signature guitars, maybe two at any given time, and perhaps a special anniversary something or other. Right? That's all the regular production going to authorized dealers. Additionally they may do a few 5 star specials and the like. Do you hate those? Then there is another big chunk of the business worked out with big retailers like Guitar Center/Musician's Friend, Fullers, Sweetwater, etc. Fullers has been doing the permutations dance for years. Which of their J-45 reissues do you think shouldn't have been done? Or Guitar Center's? Which of the special orders they made with Gibson do you hate and think should never be issued? This is where most of the items on the list come from. It's particularly silly because the very one complaining about too many reissues and versions owns just such a 'permutation' guitar probably done by Fullers or somebody.

Archived