Gibson Brands Forums

Faded Explorer

RobG

Have been looking at the Faded Explorers for awhile. Wanted a brown one. Nearest GC only had one in cherry and it was pretty banged up. I liked how it played and sounded but didn't care for the color or all of the dents and dings already on it. They wouldn't come down on the price enough for me to take it home so I passed. MF had them in brown but I've been reluctant to buy one of the Gibson fadeds without having it in my hands first. Have read lots of mixed reviews on this forum about the faded versions. MF had a 20% off deal for Christmas so I took the plunge. Hopefully I'll get a keeper. Will post pics when I receive the new git as proof per forum rules.

Rob

UPS man showed up with my Explorer yesterday. Box was banged up. The guitar was shipped in its case. The case was loosely packed in a larger shipping box which arrived with holes in it. I was surprised that it wasn't packed in its original Gibson box.

Let the guitar adjust to the house temperature for several hours before opening the box as a precaution. Opened the case and found the guitar arrived in one piece. Was a little worried because of the holes in the shipping box. Case candy was minimal.....owners manual, inspection checklist and a loose truss rod tool. That's it. No warranty card. Makes me wonder if this is a customer return that MF is trying to pass off as new. Hard to tell with a faded finish though. Tuned her up and played her for a little bit. I need some more time with her to decide whether or not she's for me.

MF dropped the price to $699 for a Stupid Deal of the Day last week. They also have it listed for $699 in the "secret sale" flyer they sent with the box. I bought it at the $799 price but with a 20% off so it only cost me $639.

2 questions for the forum:

1) Do you think I have any chance getting MF to refund me the $100 difference between the $799 price I paid (before the 20% off coupon) and the $699 price they sold for last week?

2) What should have come with the guitar? Any reason why it's missing the warranty card? Am I crazy thinking it's a recycled customer return? It wouldn't be the 1st time something like this has happened with MF. My only previous experience purchasing a new Gibson was my 339 which shipped in a Gibson box and had a matching serial number on the outside.

Thanks in advance. Will post pix soon.

Rob

Rob - I would call them if it didn't come in a Gibson box with the correct case candy.... as far the price I would call them and say that you bought the guitar at the original price point of 799 and you want the 100 refund or at least have them recalculate it at 699 minus 20% to about 560 so you would save an additional another 80. 560 would be an excellent price if the guitar is a player.

My experience with MF though is that if you say its a "dent & scratch" "customer return" they will deny and say send it back for another one offering it to someone else at a reduced price.

If the guitar is a keeper that is what matters, I would get a warranty card from Gibson.

You can try with to get the lower price based on their own 45 day guarantee, there may be restrictions since you got it on sale but you can always try.

Hello everyone, I am brand new here, just signed up. I just ordered my 1st Gibson, a Faded Brown Explorer from MF, paid $799 and now I see they were offered at $699, I wonder if its still possible to get that extra $100 off? I have a couple of Fenders that came with some case candy including Shaller strap locks and a leather strap. I was wondering if any of this comes with the Explorer? Never had a new Gibson before.

Hello everyone' date=' I am brand new here, just signed up. I just ordered my 1st Gibson, a Faded Brown Explorer from MF, paid $799 and now I see they were offered at $699, I wonder if its still possible to get that extra $100 off? I have a couple of Fenders that came with some case candy including Shaller strap locks and a leather strap. I was wondering if any of this comes with the Explorer? Never had a new Gibson before.[/quote']

Typically you get the guitar, case, gold warranty card, truss rod adjustment tool and maybe a Gibson booklet on care/maintance on the USA line.

As far as the $100 off, doesn't hurt to ask!

Well I got my Explorer yesterday and its a keeper, don't like the strings and I am going to put a Schaller fine tuner tail piece on it and some Dean Markley strings. The only case candy I got was the books, didnt even come with a wrench, but it is a nice case and it had one tiny nick in it, I am called MF about the nick, this came in a sealed Gibson box. Hopefully I can get a little of the price knocked off for the nick, I paid $799 and I saw on here they were on sale for $699 so I am going to talk to MF about this. It is a beauty and a keeper though.

Archived