Gibson Brands Forums

Music off the beaten path

BobF_

I really like Bat For Lashes,Cotton Rather,Broadway Calls,Stems,Model Rockets,Reel Estate,Sunny Day Real Estate and a lot of little heard alternative artists,each one has a unique sound that really makes you sit up and take notice.

What I really like is Classical Music.I know that there a lot of forum members who like classical music but by and large people these days-especially the younger mp3 users don't go for classical at all. I just love Paganini and I have his entire recorded works and I also have everything ever published by Mozart which adds up to well over 200 CDs.When I started getting acquainted with classical music I used to buy compilation albums of different composers so that I could get an idea of which composers I preferred and I have found this to be an excellent way to start building up a classical CD collection.

JAZZ

I'm a big Coltrane fan. Also into Art Blakey, be bop, hard bop, etc.......

how about, Umphrey's McGee, moe, The Devil Makes Three, Abigail Washburn, Chris Cain, Damon Fowler, Cooper McBean,, Esparanza Spalding, Trombone Shorty, Kilborn Alley, The Melvins, My Bloody Valentine, 50 Foot Wave, 50s era Chess Blues, etc.....

I like Rap.

RAP I'm talkin', Brooke Candy, Die Antword, Old West Coast. I'm talking cheese like Lady SOV.... hell yes.

I live in da' hood. I always feel proud when I know a song that's blaring from a garage where a few dudes sit about throwing down some bones talking 'bout Geto Boys My mind's Playing Tricks on Me. I mouth some words and I know I be getting respect...or something.

"what do you like that is NOT popular?"

The comic operettas of Gilbert & Sullivan.

HMS Pinafore, especially, is an absolute gem; both in terms of the music and in the politically satirical libretto.

But I'll spare you the youtube clips...

P.

By definition, "popular" means more than just you - sorry to say you really can't make anything popular on your own :)

My first example is one that *nobody* I know would recognize by name of either the artist or the tune. Even the ones that had seen the movie would hear the tune and not remember where they had heard it before.

Same with the second example.

Links are appreciated as the whole point of this for me is to gain exposure to something other than the MOR stuff we're fed by mass media.

I have an mp3 of a tune done by a band called "Mushy". I downloaded from their web site several years ago. Europe somewhere, IIRC.

Anyway, it's an awesome tune, but I can't find anything about the group online anywhere any longer. Shame.

The tune is called "Aftermath". Outstanding female vocal, very well put together overall. It's 7.5M ... anybody want to host it?

Blue Murder!

ha..Blue Murder. Don't remember how, from what, or when it happened, but one of the CD's found it's way into my collection, many moons ago. There was only one song I liked off that CD, which musta been the reason I bought it. It rocks pretty good. Best played at loud volume.

A buddy turned me on to a band out of Germany back during high school, Lake. The album was Lake II. Somewhat of a top 40 sound, but there were some really great cuts on that album. Never ran across anyone since that's heard of em. Lead vocalist died of a heroin overdose years ago. Dude had a great voice, great harmonies...still enjoy listening to that album.

Archived