Gibson Brands Forums

Music off the beaten path

BobF_

Must admit that made me laugh!

One type of music I detest is rap.

I'm not a fan of Rap, or new country, or anything MTV'ish ... so much of what they pass off as music these days sucks. The Gaga's and Minaj's ... to each his own i guess, but I can't stand it. Guess I'm a musical curmudgeon.

My favorite band these days is Blackberry Smoke.

Great stuff Searcy - I'll checking out more of their stuff

That song is a bit of an odd ball for them. Typically Niacin is a 3 piece band if Hammond B3, bass guitar and drums. For that song they added guitar and vocals.

Billy Sheehan has a new project that sounds a lot like the Glen Hughs tune though.

Seems like "beaten path" means different things to different folks - imagine that! [biggrin]

Personally some of my favorite stuff is 60s/70s hard/psych/prog/etc. Taking a look at that folder on my hard drive now I see a few great bands from that era that may not be super well-known...

Babe Ruth

Bang

Cargo

Demon Fuzz

Egg

Felt

Fraction

Freedom's Children

Fuzzy Duck

Geronimo

Hustler

Irish Coffee

Kin Ping Meh

Majic Ship

Mystic Siva

Phantasia

Starz

Zarathustra

Kinda a combination of jazz-pop done so you actually can tell what the tune and progression might be.

Here's from the '70s as kinda an example. Talk about a "cult favorite," yeah... research a bit and see she fit as the bunch of talented folks who lived hard and died young with fame largely due to place and time rather than really recognizing any talent. As I recall Dylan was just a harmonica player in a cupla her cuts. Karen Dalton.

And then there are Joe Pass and Chet.

m

or Ruby Braff on trumpet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZsQA4e_2nI

Lester "Roadhog" Moran and the Cadillac Cowboys!! Portsmouth Synphonia.

Ole Wichita picks jus like ole Check Atkins... awright... okay!

And don't forget the annual dog show in the barkin' lot... I mean parkin' lot... awrite... okay...

Archived