Gibson Brands Forums

Hiscox case

Lefty Guy

I took delivery of a Hiscox liteflite "artist" dreadnought hard case this week for my new Hummingbird. 'twas a special order as I wanted the green rather than red lining. I have to say its fabulous, somewhat heavier than the less protective "Pro II" model I have for my SJ, but feels almost as solid as my Calton case at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/artistguitar_hiscox.htm

I took delivery of a Hiscox liteflite "artist" dreadnought hard case this week for my new Hummingbird. 'twas a special order as I wanted the green rather than red lining. I have to say its fabulous, somewhat heavier than the less protective "Pro II" model I have for my SJ, but feels almost as solid as my Calton case at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.hiscoxcas...itar_hiscox.htm

Thanks for posting this. I'd been looking at these too. Do they have any provision to be waterproof? Cheaper cases have a rubber seal along the aluminum rails, but the Hiscox looked to be much stronger.

FMA

Nice, but heavy and bulky as they are, I've gotta say I prefer the looks of a Tolex-covered wooden case with traditional hardware. What I really need is a top-notch gigbag.

P

I felt the same about getting a good gig bag for my Tele.

The Tweed covered wood case is just too heavy to tote around when I'm not worried about the guitar getting banged around.

I ordered a custom leather gig bag and am waiting it's completion and delivery.

Once I get it I'll give you a report.

For my jumbo and dreads I use a real nice, lite Rhino. Just had my Jackson Browne out in it last night.

If I traveled with my guitars while they would be out of my possession I'd definitely be looking at the Hiscox or similar.

I sort of like the thread a few months back where the member rented a guitar once he got to his destination.

Another option I though was to buy a cheapy when I reach my destination. I'd probably be money ahead.

Thanks for posting this. I'd been looking at these too. Do they have any provision to be waterproof? Cheaper cases have a rubber seal along the aluminum rails, but the Hiscox looked to be much stronger.

FMA

I don't think there's a rubber seal on a Hiscox......will need to check. My Calton case definitely has one though.

Good post, Lefty. These are great cases. I keep two J-35s, a '38 3 tone bar and a '41 two tone bar, in liteflite Artist cases. The only bone I can pick is the latches tend to chip my right hand nails and the single rubber forward "foot" tends to allow the case to tip over. But protection per dollar? can't be touched, let alone beat.

Just a quick,short comment,about the merits of keeping your beloved guitar in a decent hard (and in this instance,watertight) case, a friend of mine, was boarding a small Ferry -Boat, taking him,and his fellow- musicians,over to an island in Scotland,climbing aboard from the jetty, the small boat suddenly rose in the rough swell,throwing everyone around,in the ensuing confusion,two guitar cases ended up overboard,one containing an early 70's Martin D28, the other, a Gibson J45, they were floating around for nearly a half hour, until they were both retrieved, brought back on board,and to everyone's relief,found to be totally dry and intact, it goes to show,get a decent case for your guitar,it pays! .....or,in this case( no pun intended) don't take ' em on board small Boats..........

I like the Hiscox cases. I've got 2 Hisocox cases and 2 Caltons to use for travel with my guitars. The Caltons are a bit sturdier and do have a better water seal (a good thing as you watch the baggage manglers loading your guitar onto a plane during a downpour), but they are much heavier. So, I've been using the Hiscox cases exclusively for the past several years. On my book tour, which has taken me all over the States and to Europe twice, I've happily carried my 1943 SJ in the Hiscox.

I also got a Hiscox Artist case for a special 16" archtop I have. I think it does a fine job for protection. I also don't find it too bulky or heavy to carry around. I opted for the white exterior with green lining which I think looks pretty sharp, and makes it easy to pick out in a crowd.

Phil

hx_lg_proii-gad-r_open.jpg

Do they provide cases with an exterior other than black? Just curious...

Yes - Ivory. That is the only other option.

I have three hiscox cases, one black two ivory. Wish they had other colours.

They used to do blue.

hx_lg_proii-gad-r_open.jpg

Yes - Ivory. That is the only other option.

I have three hiscox cases, one black two ivory. Wish they had other colours.

They used to do blue.

Anyway - I think ivory looks great. Perhaps a big diversification has become too expensive for them, and so they don't offer no other colours anymore.

Why the need for waterproof? Just curious.

When I leave town I lock my guitars in the only lockable room in my apartment. Unfortunately (fortunately) that closet has a fire sprinkler in it as does my apartment. Also, I live 70 feet from a river. Someone else pointed out that aircraft baggage handlers frequently leave luggage outside in the rain.

I was going to get one of these cases:

skb-3i-4217-18-acoustic.jpg

SKB

They're relatively inexpensive and appear bullet proof. But if you look at the link to Sweetwater above, you'll find that one of the reviewers found that the cases were warped and so they didn't seal. (He put a lit flashlight inside, then looked at the seam in a dark room.) Although Sweetwater did everything they could to help him, it turned out that all of these cases were flawed from the factory.

Here's a link to the Hiscox video that shows how they're made It's about 30 minutes long but it really shows how well their cases are made.

Hiscox Video

A Calton seems the way to go, but is out of my price range.

FMA

Archived