Gibson Brands Forums

coated strings

bamapsych

I just tried a set of coated strings and sp far I hate them. My fingers slide around on them like a fat man on ice. I am considering taking them off after one day and restringing with non coated, but I am wondering if it might take time for them to start playing better. Anyone have experience they could share?

I don't change my strings often on my everyday guitars... once every couple years maybe. I pulled out my old beat Seagull the other day and found the string package inside that had the date 9-27-08 written on it. Guess this one's due!

So I splurged on a set of nanowebs. I didn't like them at ALL at first; they seemed to have no tone, thin and lifeless. The next day the guitar sounded a LOT better. Now the argument could have been made (as I have presented this argument myself) that some guitars freak out when all the strings are removed, as is usually the case during a string change, and shouldn't be judged right away. Not only the predictable truss rod/neck relief thing, but also just.... feel. Sometimes they feel like they're going to explode from the 'new' tension. Physics professors and cork sniffers, calm your titties, this is my observation and not based in anything Sheldon Cooper can put on a dry erase board.

So leave them on there a while. I can't say if I will like them either, so I'm planning to do the same. I know that doesn't specifically address your slip-sliding issue, but the advice stands. Give them a chance. If they still suck after a week, there's your answer.

Strings are a personal thing - I like the way the Nanowebs feel, and appreciate the longer lifespan, so they're an ideal string for me. Conversely I really dislike phosphor bronze, despite their popularity. It's just a question of what your ears tell you.

I don't think Elixirs need playing in particularly, so if you really dislike them now, it's more a question of whether you'll adjust to them over a few days than the strings settling. Personally I'd give them a little longer before changing just so I could say I'd given them a proper chance.

I just tried a set of coated strings and sp far I hate them. My fingers slide around on them like a fat man on ice. I am considering taking them off after one day and restringing with non coated, but I am wondering if it might take time for them to start playing better. Anyone have experience they could share?

You've hit on the reason why I use them, even on electrics. I'm hooked on the feel. Uncoated strings feel sticky to me now. I like the way.they sound too...like strings that have a couple of hours play in them and are no longer making hat tinny new string sound. I dunno, now that my acoustic is a Gibson, I might like uncoated better, but I probably won't get past the feel, so I'll just stick with what works.

P

My all time favorite comment on this subject: "If I wanted snot on my guitar strings, I'd wipe it on myself."

-- Bob R

give them a few days/week before you give up on them.

I've been using nanowebs for so long now, anything else, just don't feel right... [biggrin]

you know, if you do give up on these, one thing to do would be try some Cleartone strings.

These: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/cleartone-80-20-bronze-coated-acoustic-guitar-strings-light?source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=COja0KOO2LkCFak1Qgod510A9g&kwid=productads-plaid^57300251707-sku^H68671000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30421694187

if Elixr stopped making nanowebs, I'd probably use those. I found them to be a good alternate for me.(they say "treated, not coated"... what ever the heck that means)...

I tried the D'Adarrio coated strings too -- didn't like em at all. they felt "sticky"

When I first met them* it was on a Taylor-safari.

Suddenly I found out and felt kind of cheated. They all had it - and come with them from the plant as I understood it.

The sales-guy let me compare with Martins and others without telling.

It gave me a severe blow regarding T's when it dawned. And the guy too.

Still I like him as a person and bought a set for my Martin D-35 to learn what they are really like and by this be able to judge the Taylors.

More volume, a more potent projection, longer life - but something didn't suit me. The old guitar became slightly artificial, even phony.

Then I put a set on my Bird. Took them off after a day.

I could live with the feel, not the sound. To me they steal the from true nature of the guitar, , , by adding something overblown.

Now I have a set on my Epiphone IB Texan - must have bought 3 sets back then.

Haven't touched that a while - better take it from the wall, , , , now. . .

*Exilir Nanoweb

I don't know anything about Elixir acoustic guitar strings, but checked them out once about ten years ago on two electric guitars in two different gauges. Interestingly found out that their bright and distinctive sound is suspiciously similar to those I regularly play since three decades:

http://www.musiksaiten-optima.de/dynasite.cfm?dssid=4207&dsmid=60751

I even didn't have to readjust intonation...

They feel a bit slippery, but that's not the problem. Sadly, they cause annoying static clicks and pops due to their electrical isolation. The only way to avoid is playing through a transmitter instead of a guitar cable. I know of several pals who suffered the same troubles and decided to go back to conventional, uncoated strings.

I had Elixir 80/20s on my SJ when I first got her; Russo's put them on at my request, as I had never tried them. They came off withing a few days at home.

For what its worth the Elixir PBs are better in my opinion... for mahogany guitars anyway.

I really like Martin Lifespan PBs. They would stay on 3 months easy.

I really like EJ16s and EJ19s from D'Addario. These last six weeks with me. Maybe 2 months.

John Pearse PB Lights were great - phenomenal even - for about 5 days 11 hours.

DR Sunbeams are on my guitar now. They are great, but they have been on a month and could use changing.

I need to try EXPs... But so far of my two coated strings that I have used, I like Lifespan much more.

Right now my acoustics each have coated strings on them, Elixirs, Martin SP Lifespans and D'Addario EXPs. They work for me - easier on the fingers, last longer and they cut down on that dreaded screechy finger noise. It seems the guitars pick the strings they like...the J45 likes the Martins and the SJ likes D'Addarios.

I had Elixir 80/20s on my SJ when I first got her; Russo's put them on at my request, as I had never tried them. They came off withing a few days at home.

For what its worth the Elixir PBs are better in my opinion... for mahogany guitars anyway.

I really like Martin Lifespan PBs. They would stay on 3 months easy.

I really like EJ16s and EJ19s from D'Addario. These last six weeks with me. Maybe 2 months.

John Pearse PB Lights were great - phenomenal even - for about 5 days 11 hours.

DR Sunbeams are on my guitar now. They are great, but they have been on a month and could use changing.

I need to try EXPs... But so far of my two coated strings that I have used, I like Lifespan much more.

The exp's are fairly similar to the lifespan strings Sal. Too similar for there to be the big difference in price. I'd stick with the lifespans if you like them unless you have a few extra pence floating around that you can't think what to spend it on

Just plates with the new strings on Sunday and I was surprised how good they sounded. The strings still feel slick to my fingers but it simply required me to pay attention to the chord shapes and positions, something I usually don't do. I wouldn't say that I'm a convert to coated strings but I am impressed with how nice they sound. Now, if they sound this good next month I may be a believer!

Just plates with the new strings on Sunday and I was surprised how good they sounded. The strings still feel slick to my fingers but it simply required me to pay attention to the chord shapes and positions, something I usually don't do. I wouldn't say that I'm a convert to coated strings but I am impressed with how nice they sound. Now, if they sound this good next month I may be a believer!

been playing for almost 40 years and the only string I use anymore elixir nanowebs. not only do they last the longest I haven't found anything that even comes close to sounding as good. they take a couple weeks to really sound good but after that they sound amazing even 3 months later. and I have never broke 1.

I got a few set of Nanos a few years back when EVERYBODY was talking about them, to see what the fuss was about.

I put them on a Martin X series (made out of recycled splinters, rags and eco at the time, and going to be the future of guitar, I was told).

The strings ARE a REAL shock to first play, but over the months I got used to them, but I don't play that guitar much, which is one of the reasons I thought the Nanos would be handy.

I can't see using them on my Gibsons, especially the older guitars, though I did pick up a couple of sets of 12 string Nanos to save changing strings on my 12 too often, but when I got home I saw that I had picked up the wrong size - mediums - no good for my fragile Gibson B25-12N..............and I haven't given the strings a thought since.......

BluesKing777.

• 2 months later...

I put a set of Elixir lights on my Seagull a month or so ago, and a set of mediums on my '64 SJ at the same time. I can't put my finger on it, but they just don't feel right. It almost reminds me of the time I put lemon Pledge on the maple neck of my Telecaster. What a mistake. The slippery surface of the strings just takes away the familiar tactile feedback. Makes me feel like I'm walking on a slippery sidewalk.

I'll admit that a lotta folks figure I'm definitely the oddball when it comes to strings, but I've used the Elixir polywebs - the heavier coating - for years on electrics and acoustics until I started really lightening up on technique and running almost everything through an amp for volume instead of picking "harder."

On several AEs I use either a "string by string" purchase of Elixir's acoustic polywebs in 9-42 or the DR Zebra 9-42 after they came out a cupla years ago. I really dont' feel all that much difference between the Goretex and plain strings. I did actually try some Cleartones and they were gone within a week as feeling "rough" compared to plain strings.

Why very light strings on most of my guitars, AE or electric? That's simple, I am a bare-finger fingerpicker, not even using a thumb pick, and technique is pretty much the same as used on a nylon string guitar. The heavier strings don't respond "appropriately" as I perceive it (others may well feel differently) to that sort of technique.

I do use heavier strings on the AEs that I consider "strummers" for Old Time and similar material - but even then my string choices tend toward lighter strings and I do play probably a lot more gently than a lotta folks.

That last IMHO is a determining factor on a lot of "our" choices.

I had the opportunity once for Mother Maybelle to give me a shot a playing her old Gibson archtop. The strings were almost literally piano wire. Okay. But now how did she play the thing? Frequently capoed up, thumb and fingerpicks "scraping" across very heavy strings more as one plays the autoharp. Look at her era crossing from early radio and pre-radio/pre PA dance gigs into relatively current times and I think it's pretty easy to see how such strings and technique would be a great match.

For what it's worth, I've never come across a guitar with such "impossible" strings to play "cowboy chords" and yet here was this lovely lady just doing awfully well with technique she'd been using for decades. At that point in time I was playing a lot of 12-string guitar, mostly flatpicking, so I figure I wasn't all that "wimpy" as a picker.

And j45nick pretty well nailed it: strings are truly a matter of personal preference. They're also to a degree affected by new types of strings. I honestly can't believe the choices we have today, and if they didn't make somebody happy, we wouldn't have so many.

m

Back to the D'Addario PB's. I guess this little excursion reinforces my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" paradigm.

ALTHOUGH....

I heard a little tiny snippet about some classical strings D'Addario has out now. I think they call them titanium. The basses are normal but the trebles are... well, they're not titanium. Maybe they incorporate some into the nylon? Like we did when we mixed some kevlar into the golf spike thermoplastic? (Sorry, flashback from the 80s there). Anyway, they are supposed to be a little thinner and give a much brighter, crisper tone. I'm psyched to try that! I have a cheap Brazilian classical and a '58 Gibson C-6 Richard Pick model. The basses on both sound like love but once you hit that G string, now we're back to fishing line.

Coated strings versus au naturale strings is like the difference between sex with a condom and sex au naturale. About the only plus I detected when trying coated strings was longevity and there's more to life than lasting a long time. I prefer to keep the teflon off my strings and out of my frying pan and in my jacket where it belongs. But to each, their own.

Archived