Gibson Brands Forums

coated strings

bamapsych

KS...

Just pulled this from the D. string site.

Note that the "titanium" is designed to be brighter than nylon strings and is best for "darker" guitars. My guess is that your classicals are likely not going to do well with them.

m

Trebles

Clear Nylon – The traditional standard for classical strings. Balance of warmth, brightness and projection with an ultra-smooth surface preferred by many professionals for its comfortable nail contact.

Black Nylon – A warmer, mellower tone than clear nylon and a popular choice for folk and some classical guitars.

Titanium – A contemporary treble material with attractive purple hue, smooth feel and brighter tone than traditional nylon. A popular choice for darker sounding instruments or when paired with our Composite or EXP basses.

Composite – Monofilament composite material delivers increased brightness and projection for 3rd/G strings. Provides more balanced volume transition between basses and trebles.

Last week I stringed for the first time in my life a guitar (my SJ 200 MR GIBS) with Elixir nanoweb strings. I liked them much, but the next evening I was amazed how much they slip under my fingers... The sound is OK for me but the slippy feeling...

Before to read these post I decided to give them some time.

And I noticed another fact - A SECOND PLUS for the nanowebs (and I don't know why nobody mentione this) - with those nanowebs my fingers don't squeak so much whan I play like they squeak with the phos. brnz... And I like that. Good for recordings.

By the way a month ago I stringed my J35 with DÁddario EXP 11-52. They did not slip, but were thin for me so I replaced them with EXP 12-54 and now the guitar sings. But they squeak like normal strings (and don't slip)

Last week I stringed for the first time in my life a guitar (my SJ 200 MR GIBS) with Elixir nanoweb strings. I liked them much, but the next evening I was amazed how much they slip under my fingers... The sound is OK for me but the slippy feeling...

Before to read these post I decided to give them some time.

And I noticed another fact - A SECOND PLUS for the nanowebs (and I don't know why nobody mentione this) - with those nanowebs my fingers don't squeak so much whan I play like they squeak with the phos. brnz... And I like that. Good for recordings.

By the way a month ago I stringed my J35 with DÁddario EXP 11-52. They did not slip, but were thin for me so I replaced them with EXP 12-54 and now the guitar sings. But they squeak like normal strings (and don't slip)

I've played Nanoweb Elixirs since they came out. I have toxic skin chemistry and eat regular strings within hours. So the Elixirs were a godsend. Also, I've never liked the string squeak from regular strings. I've just purchased a set of Ernie Ball Everlast PB's. Can't decide which guitar to put them on; the J200 or the Songwriter.

I've played Nanoweb Elixirs since they came out. I have toxic skin chemistry and eat regular strings within hours. So the Elixirs were a godsend. Also, I've never liked the string squeak from regular strings. I've just purchased a set of Ernie Ball Everlast PB's. Can't decide which guitar to put them on; the J200 or the Songwriter.

Definitely coated strings are a good thing. I have to just habituate to use them. Also I should try all the brands to see what will be my favourite.

For now the Elixirs are my SJ 200 favourites.

I think this is my 3rd post here although I check the forum often. I never liked Elixirs on any of my Martins D28, D18 ,D15 M. Used Martin SP mediums on all 3 and Lifespans on the D18 now. My new Gibson J 35 however disliked any of the Martin strings not aweful but just not what I wanted. To my surprise Elixir phosphor bronze medium lights and lights sound great on it. This is the first time I have kept Elixirs on anything more than a few days. The J 35 even liked the 80/20 nano's .

I have a POSITIVE review of Elixirs.

I tried coated strings a long time ago and really hated them. They felt like playing a string with a condom on it. But the newer ones, Nanoweb and Polyweb, have more refined coatings that I have adjusted to rather well. The reason I have POSITIVE things to say about the Elixirs is because my hands sweat, so I typically get less than a week out of a traditional pack of guitar strings.

So, the polywebs have the thicker coating, but they can literally last for years and still intonate properly. The nano webs last around three months, still clear, and the new Martin coated strings (which ring excessively at first) are perhaps the best balance of clarity, protection and not feeling like a rubber band. The Martins are good for 4-6 months.

Having said that, my favourite strings are still John Pearse PB, and my runner up is the standard D'Addario EJ16s or whatever the model number is for the light gauge PB acoustic set. John Pearse 80/20s can sound good on a dreadnought that is boomy if you want a bit more midrange and clearer treble.

I bought two Collings guitars this year and that company despite all its cachet actually recommends D'Addario lights. Their website says they use them now just as they have done for many years.

I used them for a long time on a Baby Taylor which my son used when he was small and learning. They lasted a long time and he wasn't picky about the tone. I've tried them a few times on my guitars but just didn't like the tone as much as John Pearse PB. One problem with coated strings is the coating shreds off if you do any string bending. I don't do that much string bending but sometimes I do it. It doesn't work well with nanowebs.

My only experience with Elixir nanoweb was what came on my Taylor. I did not like them as they sounded muted to me so within a day PB strings were put on and that lovely Taylor sparkle came to life. I am open to trying them again one day but PB and even 80/20 strings give me the tones I like.

Strings are a personal thing - I like the way the Nanowebs feel, and appreciate the longer lifespan, so they're an ideal string for me. Conversely I really dislike phosphor bronze, despite their popularity. It's just a question of what your ears tell you.

I don't think Elixirs need playing in particularly, so if you really dislike them now, it's more a question of whether you'll adjust to them over a few days than the strings settling. Personally I'd give them a little longer before changing just so I could say I'd given them a proper chance.

elixers definitely need to be played in. usually takes anywhere from a few days to a week of playing to even start to settle in. change of sound is amazing. even better 2 months later they still sound fantastic

Actually I find some of the comments interesting after thinking about "the old days" when I played flats in a rock band... and later some "tapewound - Jazz" strings on guitar.

I think string feel is partly how we play, partly habit. And I think the technique and habit also affect how we perceive "tone."

m

I just tried a set of coated strings and sp far I hate them. My fingers slide around on them like a fat man on ice. I am considering taking them off after one day and restringing with non coated, but I am wondering if it might take time for them to start playing better. Anyone have experience they could share?

I never liked coated strings until I tried Martin SP Lifespans and that is all I use now. They do not seem to sacrifice tone like some of the other coated strings I tried in the past, and they last much longer than the regular SP's.

elixers definitely need to be played in. usually takes anywhere from a few days to a week of playing to even start to settle in. change of sound is amazing. even better 2 months later they still sound fantastic

The jury is still out. I haven't played the Seagull or SJ much in the past few weeks. Actually I haven't been playing at all (just in a funk). Yesterday morning I played the Seagull a few minutes and liked it. This morning I picked up the SJ and liked it. Not sure what's gooing on but I think I'll leave them on there a while.

I put the Ernie Ball Everlast on my Songwriter and so far, I'm not impressed. They don't seem to have any life to them. Just kinda dull. Plus I get much more string squeak from them than from the Elixirs. For my recording of "I Still Can't Say Goodbye" tonight, I turned to my J200 with six month old Elixirs... much more resonance and zing even though they are a bit grungy and frayed.

Looks like it is back to Elixir unless the tone on the EB's change in the next week or so.

I've been using Elixirs for about a year now. I admit that at first they felt a little strange, but the fact that they last so long, to me, is a major plus.

[biggrin]

I just tried a set of coated strings and sp far I hate them. My fingers slide around on them like a fat man on ice. I am considering taking them off after one day and restringing with non coated, but I am wondering if it might take time for them to start playing better. Anyone have experience they could share?

I use both coated and uncoated strings. I like both for different reasons. When it's summertime here in SW Ohio, uncoated strings are grabby and go dead in no time. I prefer D'Addario EXP16s. I like the smooth feel they provide and in the humid summer, they really help keep my hands moving. I also like the ring of uncoated strings. I just don't like how quick I can kill them. I used Elixirs several years back, but didn't like the way the coating would peel off like a molting snake. I like the way EXPs have the coating on the wrap, rather than over the string. But I am not going to criticize anyone over something like their string preference. Everyone has their choice and it's cool by me.

Archived