Gibson Brands Forums

What Was It That Got You Into SG's?

darling67

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely Angus Young, but also Tony Iommi, Cream-era Clapton, and Krieger. They're just so sharp and the devil horns give excellent access to the upper frets. I string mine with 11's since the 10's feel like spaghetti on it.

I wanted a Les Paul but after literally years of research for my first real guitar I came across the 2013 SG Standard.

There was just something about it that made me want it. I bought it because I liked the way it looked, sounded, felt, and just played. It's close enough to every other guitar with humbuckers but different enough at the same time. It is also a pretty good price. I think $1300 is right where it should be.

The only thing that drives me nuts is every time you look up a video of one people are playing elevator music, generic blues, or ACDC. It makes a lot of people assume it is a one trick pony when it really isn't.

I moved in with my Dad when I was 16. He asked if I wanted to play guitar or bass and I chose guitar. He decided to give me a red hollow body electric that had a small scroll at the top kind of like a violin. I was a little disappointed because he also had what I now know is an SG Classic. After a few months he came to me and said "I want my Red Rooster back, will you trade me for this one?" It was the SG Classic, and I had wanted it all along. My reason for it at the time was just that it simply looked cooler, more rock and roll to me. It looked just like what I'd seen Angus Young playing except without the lightning bolts.

The SG was stolen from me about 2 years later and I ended up buying an Ibanez RG550, once again because they just looked damn cool, but also because they had those super thin necks. I ended up getting out of playing guitar in my early 20s out of frustration of never being able to get people together that where serious about starting a band, and I was also starting to get heavily into electronic music. I ended up selling off my gear and buying a Synth, learning sequencing, and went that route for years.

After many years of not playing any type of instrument, I decided to get back into music. I got a couple of electronic instruments and some software with a keyboard controller, and started on a couple of songs before pretty much abandoning it. It's just not as easy to slap on a pair of headphones and getting lost in the music for a couple of hours now that I have a family. But the bug was still there, and I found myself wishing I could play along with some of the songs I listened to.

Finally I buckled down and decided it was time to try relearning the guitar. I'd forgotten almost everything except some basic chords, and I had never learned anything about theory, I always just made music "by ear". After buying a few low end Ibanez guitars and an LTD I decided I wanted to go back and try my 1st love: An SG.

It was at this point I learned that my original was a Classic, but I didn't want another "budget" guitar so I decided to go for an SG Standard. The 1st thing I noticed was the odd angle of the strings at the bridge. I didn't remember it looking that way, and the 1st few I saw I thought something was wrong where they had to raise it up so high. However, after getting one and playing it I was amazed at how natural it feels playing on one of them. I was also amazed at how much different (better) it sounded than my other guitars.

I don't even tough my other guitars anymore, except the acoustic for certain songs, and when son is in bed. In fact, the cheaper Ibanez I have, that is actually a great sounding and pretty well built guitar is going to my girlfriends little brother who just started learning guitar over the summer.

I was enjoying Fall Out Boy's music at the time and the lead singer played one so I thought I'd give it a try.

I absolutely fell in love with the thick neck, and thin, offset body. You know you've found "your" guitar when it disappears as you are playing and singing and you don't feel like you are fighting it. My main guitar before was a strat and I was constantly struggling with and fighting it.

I stayed clear of SGs before because of the reports of neck heaviness, but once I played the guitar that mattered not because the pros crushed the cons.

I was enjoying Fall Out Boy's music at the time and the lead singer played one so I thought I'd give it a try.

I absolutely fell in love with the thick neck, and thin, offset body. You know you've found "your" guitar when it disappears as you are playing and singing and you don't feel like you are fighting it. My main guitar before was a strat and I was constantly struggling with and fighting it.

I stayed clear of SGs before because of the reports of neck heaviness, but once I played the guitar that mattered not because the pros crushed the cons.

What model do you own? I don't know of any SG featuring a thick neck... [confused]

But then, I went to see Oliver Stone's "The Doors" movie, and seeing the SG "in action" really made an impression on me. It looked so damn cool.

I know what you mean. I see an SG, almost start drooling and get the urge to play guitar. When I was younger I saw Weezer's "Say it Ain't So" video where the rhythm guitarist was playing an SG and I thought, "AHA! That's how they get their awesome sound!", even though a Les Paul Jr. was used on the recording [smile]. In the liner notes I think the main picture is of an SG sitting against an 8x12 speaker cabinet but I can't find it anyhwere.

What model do you own? I don't know of any SG featuring a thick neck... [confused]

A 2008 SG special faded with a '50s rounded neck profile.

My 2012 SG standard has an even thicker neck!

Sorry for my ignorance, didn't take the SGJ into account, too.

To me there also is something like a psychological effect. The thicker and the heavier a guitar, the thicker I expect to be the neck, or the thinner it feels... :rolleyes:

Extremely comfortable to play, great tone and sustain. Went and tried out as many guitars as I could after a decade of strictly acoustic playing. Fell in love with the SG Standard but wanted it in white, spent a month searching and lots of money spent on gas before I finally found one. Fell in love on the spot.

I'd almost given up on finding a Gibson that I'd bond with. I'd already tried a Les Paul Studio and Traditional but they sounded muddy to me. I own three Fender Guitars (Strat, Tele and Jazzmaster)and I've always had a preference for them for their sparkling clear tone, something I'd not found with any Gibson I'd owned. I then had an ES-335 and while it was tonally better than the Les Pauls, the body was uncomfortable for me. Finally this year, I traded the ES-335 for a 20 year old Jazzmaster and a 2006 SG Standard. I thought maybe the SG would be the makeweight in the deal and something I would move on again, I was wrong.

I instantly fell in love with it's weight, it's feel and it's playability. It almost feels like part of you. It's scale length is perfect and tonally it's brighter than any other Gibson I've owned. It will be accompanying me to practice this Wednesday night and many more thereafter.

Tony Iommi is why I wanted one. I also knew I wanted something that I could play my whole life if I took care of it. The pic in my avatar is my '94 SG. I bought it new in 1994, and the pic is from my band's record release show last month.

Also, capmaster.... This is a dream SG for me. I love these old bursts. So cool. [thumbup]

jbna.jpg

SGs get a bad rap if you ask me. Very underrated guitar and the right one will have you hooked for sure. I played the ES and LPs to start along with Fenders. I tried to like the SG and bought a used Standard finally in the 90's. It was neck heavy and turned me off and I felt it wasn't the best sounding Gibson I owned.

Finally in 2003 I came across a Faded that played like a dream and felt great, I was inspired. I've constantly had a SG around since. I find I'm very critical when checking them out though.

Its pretty hard to beat the SGJ for an entry level Gibson. They are killer feeling and playing SGs. The maple necks give them a radical raw tone and make those 490's come alive imho.

The QC in 2013 has been stellar with Gibson and in particular the SG has benefitted with the Standard, SGJ etc. Look at the way Stop-Tail and bridge are sitting on these SGs now? The tolerance in the neck joint has been very consistent.

Well, just be glad you GOT your's! I ordered mine the day I got the Gibson newsletter,

showing them. Which was a couple of days before they were even posted on the Gibson site.

I STILL don't have it! It's not my dealer's fault, either! They've been in touch with

Gibson, since...and keep getting "stalled" with "Very Soon," or the latest..."well, it

will be, at the very least, another 2-4 weeks, before we can ship your order. The last time

my dealer (E.M. Shorts) had this kind of problem, was with the "Ace Frehley" Budokan

LP Custom. They never DID get that (6 unit) order. Gibson finally cancelled Short's

order, as being "Sold Out," after months of stalling them. So, I'm not at all confident,

I'll ever get mine. I "could" go elsewhere, but...that's not really a option, for me.

If I can't get it, from my preferred dealer...I don't really "need" it, anyway. LOL

It's no big deal, I can wait...but, the lack of a real shipping date, IS "Frustrating" for me,

and my dealer, as well. They're not a "Big Box" store, like GC, MF, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc.

I suspect, that being such a small limited edition, it's already "sold out," to those dealers,

and the over-sea's market. So, even though my dealer ordered several, they may never see one,

just like with the Ace Frehley model. I HOPE (obviously) I'm wrong...but, it wouldn't surprise

me, in the least, based on our past experience.

Waiting, hopefully...if not confindently [unsure][-o<

CB

Well, just be glad you GOT your's! I ordered mine the day I got the Gibson newsletter,

showing them. Which was a couple of days before they were even posted on the Gibson site.

I STILL don't have it! It's not my dealer's fault, either! They've been in touch with

Gibson, since...and keep getting "stalled" with "Very Soon," or the latest..."well, it

will be, at the very least, another 2-4 weeks, before we can ship your order. The last time

my dealer (E.M. Shorts) had this kind of problem, was with the "Ace Frehley" Budokan

LP Custom. They never DID get that (6 unit) order. Gibson finally cancelled Short's

order, as being "Sold Out," after months of stalling them. So, I'm not at all confident,

I'll ever get mine. I "could" go elsewhere, but...that's not really a option, for me.

If I can't get it, from my preferred dealer...I don't really "need" it, anyway. LOL

It's no big deal, I can wait...but, the lack of a real shipping date, IS "Frustrating" for me,

and my dealer, as well. They're not a "Big Box" store, like GC, MF, Sweetwater, Sam Ash, etc.

I suspect, that being such a small limited edition, it's already "sold out," to those dealers,

and the over-sea's market. So, even though my dealer ordered several, they may never see one,

just like with the Ace Frehley model. I HOPE (obviously) I'm wrong...but, it wouldn't surprise

me, in the least, based on our past experience.

Waiting, hopefully...if not confindently [unsure][-o<

CB

LOL, I'm with you. They may well have went over better than expected. I don't know anyone who played one who didn't like it.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a dream on night 42 years ago about seeing a green SG in a store window

After many guitars including Strats and various Taylor's, Martin, Collings and even an Epi LP ultra2

Last December I bought a 2011 Standard in Honeyburst w the 490R 498 T pickups w coiltaps

Finally found a GREAT guitar. Capable of so many different sounds and can be very sweet sounding too.

SOOOOO easy to play and a joy to just stand back and look at it,

And then to watch videos of Barry Goudruoe(sic) of Boston playing his with Desiree Bassett is Magic!

Simply put, a lot of my favourite guitar players over the years were SG players -- Angus Young, Tony Iommi, Carlos Santana (in the early years), Robbie Kreiger, etc. I owned a couple of Les Pauls (a Gibson back in the 80s, an Epiphone more recently) which were nice guitars, but I never felt quite at home with the weight and body shape. I love the sleekness and lightness of an SG better -- plus that extra bit of snarl they have over the warmer Les Paul sound.

Archived